Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Demarai Gray

https://theboyhotspur.com/tottenham-and-newcastle-united-battling-it-out-to-sign-premier-league-ace/

Newcastle United have become the latest team to show interest in Leicester City’s Demarai Gray and the Magpies will be keen to beat Tottenham to his signature.

The Times had earlier reported that Jose Mourinho is a fan of the Englishman and he will look to bring him to Tottenham.

However, a new report from the Telegraph is claiming that the Lilywhites will now have to battle with Newcastle United for his signature.

It claims that Steve Bruce likes the winger and wants to add him to his team.

Gray was expected to be a success in the Premier League when he joined Leicester City from Birmingham in 2016.

But he has struggled to create or score goals since then and has now entered the final year of his current deal.

Spurs will look to add some more quality players to their team when the transfer window reopens and Gray will represent a very good backup to Son Heung-min.

However, given that he has struggled for game time at Leicester in recent seasons, it remains unclear if he will want to join Spurs where he will almost certainly be a squad player again.

That said, he will probably be available fairly cheaply and that is the sort of market Tottenham have to look in at this moment in time.

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Depends on the money, if it's 15m+, I'd probably let him go. He's our only option off the bench though at the minute, unless Iheanacho is on the bench too.

This! I’d sooner lose him for nothing next season and continue to give him the chance to reach his potential or at least be an impact sub for us, if we sell him for anything under 20m it’s a pointless move imo as we would struggle to replace him for any less

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dbtcity said:

This! I’d sooner lose him for nothing next season and continue to give him the chance to reach his potential or at least be an impact sub for us, if we sell him for anything under 20m it’s a pointless move imo as we would struggle to replace him for any less

I suspect we’d get over £15m for him, and can get an upgrade for not much more. Just as an example if we had to add £5m-£10m to what we get for Gray to land Benrahma, we would wouldn’t we?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Links may be agent talk as he is in final year and after a new contract! Was interviewed yesterday and said we have European football to look forward too. Just the wording made me think he wasn’t leaving! Could be wrong like! 

To be fair I would have been quite surprised if he'd said "we've got European football to look forward to - well, the rest of the lads do but actually I don't, because I'm leaving"

3 minutes ago, Guest said:

To be fair I would have been quite surprised if he'd said "we've got European football to look forward to - well, the rest of the lads do but actually I don't, because I'm leaving"

Agreed but if leaving I wouldn’t refer to it? He said it’s quick turn around, I’d of just left at that if leaving 

4 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Agreed but if leaving I wouldn’t refer to it? He said it’s quick turn around, I’d of just left at that if leaving 

I wouldn't read into it too deeply is all I'm saying. They're essentially on autopilot in these interviews

• Like 1

With the Europa next season and therefore all the additional games, I personally think he is not a bad backup.  Beats some of the other deadwood we have.  But probably need a contract extension for a year or two to make financial sense for us. 

13 hours ago, AS78UK said:

With the Europa next season and therefore all the additional games, I personally think he is not a bad backup.  Beats some of the other deadwood we have.  But probably need a contract extension for a year or two to make financial sense for us. 

And that Gentleman is the reason, we don't sell.!!!  He is the least of our problems.

we complain about Lack of cover...Why First sell before we have found higher Quality to Take any players shirt....??

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, dbtcity said:

Totally agree and have a funny feeling if we sell him, he’s gonna finally come good an it’ll bite us in the bum! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dbtcity said:

Always easy to chuck away money when it not yours.....

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Always easy to chuck away money when it not yours.....

He’s capable of producing a moment of magic off the bench... I’d say the fact we’re so light on wingers it would be a chance worth taking especially with funds being limited due to the pandemic!

Just my opinion like obviously I’m not the money man at the club but for me it makes more sense than taking a reduced fee and then trying to find a replacement 

Whilst I think we could attract better players in the long term. We will need a larger squad next year so keep him as a squad player.

I think we can only really afford to lose players who have not played many minutes for example James.

• Like 1

Really hope we can get a bit of decent money for him. He’s never going to make it here.

i understand the notions of keeping him because we are thin on numbers, but we have 4 wingers and 4 wingers is what you need. We want to bring in one or two at least. Perez won’t be sold because he’s not long come. Albrighton and gray are the casualties here and have to be, though I sense Albrighton won’t be going anywhere, so it absolutely has to be gray.

to be fair to the lad he’s actually been one of the players to make a difference coming on since the restart. But speaking broader about his time here, he has to be one of the most frustrating players we have. No end product, no brain.

if we are trying to establish ourselves as a top team demari doesn’t deserve to be here.

• Thanks 1

The main thing with Gray is does image actually want to be here? I get the impression he doesn’t and actually thinks he could do better than us.

Maybe it’s just the way he is but never plays with a smile or looks happy, i don’t know if it’s that he thinks he’s better than he is or he just wants out. In any case, Barnes has overtook him by a mile this season 

We are going to sign attacking options. Let's say we sign 1 winger with the aim of making him first choice. We would then have 5 wingers. That's really a lot, and even in Europe, just holding on to all our players so we have depth will result in bloat.

Keep in mind that the idea that we won't have any quality on the bench is moot as most often Gray probably would not even make the bench, and whoever the new winger benches will be able to offer us that quality, be it Barnes or Perez, who have both offered us good things numerous times this season off the bench.

So by keeping him here, we

A: keep paying him 50k a week for another season

B: don't make any money on him when he leaves at the end of next season

C: probably will not use him much at all, and his vaunted super sub nature will not really be important to us.

This is just in the scenario where we sign one winger. Imagine if we signed two? Thank him for finally figuring out how to look good in most games just before we sell him, and move on. If we can sell him for £10-20 million, that is cash we can invest elsewhere.