Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Man Utd home

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Firstly, I respect your points of view expressed here - that doesn't mean I agree with them all, and I hope you can forgive me differing and not seeing things as clearly, or at least clearly in the way that you do.

2 things - I seek to explain, rather than excuse, as I cannot be doing with all the speculation and confident assertions about BR's ego etc. And secondly, there's never unanimous anything on FT (perhaps apart from after the death of Vichai), so please spare me that line of argument. In the case of Pearson at the very least, there would be many people defending his record.

Yes in retrospect you're absolutely right to pick me up on that. If we could be unanimous about anything possibly, it would be that we're never unanimous on here usually with the very odd exception like the one you pointed out. In fact we all just give our own opinions, all of which whether we agree or disagree, are equally as valid on a forum as I suppose that's a main point of one really. 

Secondly, I in no way meant to belittle the work of NP, on the contrary, I'm a big fan and fully recognise the job he did here in sometimes difficult circumstances. I'm very disappointed in fact about the Watford debacle, whatever that's about as I really wanted both him and Shakespeare to succeed. 

I suppose what I was clumsily trying to say was that sometimes, compared with other managers, Rodgers appears to me to be given a lot more benefit of the doubt due to in my opinion, media bias, pleasant personality and clever speak as opposed to pure footballing reasons. In stark contrast, we had Puel who came into the club without the benefit of the talented squad that Rodgers inherited, with huge off field problems to solve that again Rodgers didn't have, in his tenure recruited some of our more talented prospects of recent transfer windows as well as bringing some of our own young talent through yet, when results didn't go his way, to me, the protest against him was far more vociferous. In fsirness he didn't actually curry any favouur with his public however due to his dour interviews, some due to language skills admittedly, and his alleged poor man management style. However, did he get a fair media coverage before he even got here notwithstanding that his previous managent record was for me at least, far in advance of the media hyped Rodgers? I don't think personally, from some of what I saw on here, he was even given a chance from the start and some just wanted him out even when results were good.

There are of course valid reasons why he had to go in the end but I just feel that Rodgers appears to be getting away with a lot more than other managers, particularly in the media.

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

There's no scenario where a draw will get it done, unless you mean West Ham beating Man U..  Which, if we're honest, seems pretty unlikely.

I like the back 3 as an option, but with Soyuncu out I just don't think it's viable against United.  I'd use a traditional back four with Evans and Wes in the middle, try and build through the midfield and hope for the best.

When we had Justin and Cags either side of Evans I thought it had great potential, the counter attacks were swiftly extinguished. It is a patchwork either way, let's hope BR gets it right because we have to start well.

16 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes in retrospect you're absolutely right to pick me up on that. If we could be unanimous about anything possibly, it would be that we're never unanimous on here usually with the very odd exception like the one you pointed out. In fact we all just give our own opinions, all of which whether we agree or disagree, are equally as valid on a forum as I suppose that's a main point of one really. 

Secondly, I in no way meant to belittle the work of NP, on the contrary, I'm a big fan and fully recognise the job he did here in sometimes difficult circumstances. I'm very disappointed in fact about the Watford debacle, whatever that's about as I really wanted both him and Shakespeare to succeed. 

I suppose what I was clumsily trying to say was that sometimes, compared with other managers, Rodgers appears to me to be given a lot more benefit of the doubt due to in my opinion, media bias, pleasant personality and clever speak as opposed to pure footballing reasons. In stark contrast, we had Puel who came into the club without the benefit of the talented squad that Rodgers inherited, with huge off field problems to solve that again Rodgers didn't have, in his tenure recruited some of our more talented prospects of recent transfer windows as well as bringing some of our own young talent through yet, when results didn't go his way, to me, the protest against him was far more vociferous. In fairness he didn't actually curry any favour with his public however due to his dour interviews, some due to language skills admittedly, and his alleged poor man management style. However, did he get a fair media coverage before he even got here notwithstanding that his previous management record was for me at least, far in advance of the media hyped Rodgers? I don't think personally, from some of what I saw on here, he was even given a chance from the start and some just wanted him out even when results were good.

There are of course valid reasons why he had to go in the end but I just feel that Rodgers appears to be getting away with a lot more than other managers, particularly in the media.

I agree with an awful lot of that. I only mentioned Pearson, because so many people here (myself included) have the highest regard for him in so many ways. I stop short of wanting him back, because then I fall into the trap of looking back fondly like I might (and occasionally do) about an ex - we choose to remember the good/bad stuff to fit, and this validates your point about Puel all the more.

I didn't think you were belittling Pearson for one moment - I simply picked the one manager from our recent past who divides opinion the most now. Puel did not engage me, and results eventually spoke for themselves, but I agree that he was behind the 8 ball from the off (rightly or wrongly). Having said that, early on in his tenure we had a glimpse of what might be possible. Rodgers has found more of that for longer - long enough that we'll probably finish 5th - and if it weren't for the lop-sided manner of it, I think it would be hard to find fault with. Except of course, people would be saying 'if only we'd not let that late goal in against FC Irrelevant in mid-October, we'd have finished 4th' or some such tiresome if/but/whatabout.

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 2

There's a paradox in our team selection. If we set up positively, and aim to possess the ball, press high and pin United deep we are susceptible to Tottenham like counterattacks. Our centerbacks are slow, our fullbacks get forward, and we only have ndidi as a defensive midfielder.

On the other hand, last time against united we were too negative. Whenever we try to play two defensive midfielders, sit deep and defend we eventually concede. We're one VAR decision away from going behind and then that game plan is out the window. The other thing is that it we sit back, United could pass the ball around forever because they'll advance with a draw, assuming they get a point today vs West Ham.

So all that said, we have to just go for it. We have no choice. Rodgers know that. Solskjær knows that. We will set up to attack and it will be a game of who concedes first. If we manage the first goal, maybe we can sit deeper and try through balls to Vardy to finish the game off. But if we concede first, it could get ugly.

38 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I think I would revert to our tried and tested 4-3-3 for this...

Kasper

JJ Morgan Evans Thomas

Hamza Youri Wilf

Perez Vards Barnes

Shame for Nacho, but I think this leaves us more balanced. 

After the last few games and how Perez has shown how much better he is centrally he has to start centrally for me. Nacho and vards and then use barnes as an impact sub to run at there centre backs. 

12 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

There's a paradox in our team selection. If we set up positively, and aim to possess the ball, press high and pin United deep we are susceptible to Tottenham like counterattacks. Our centerbacks are slow, our fullbacks get forward, and we only have ndidi as a defensive midfielder.

On the other hand, last time against united we were too negative. Whenever we try to play two defensive midfielders, sit deep and defend we eventually concede. We're one VAR decision away from going behind and then that game plan is out the window. The other thing is that it we sit back, United could pass the ball around forever because they'll advance with a draw, assuming they get a point today vs West Ham.

So all that said, we have to just go for it. We have no choice. Rodgers know that. Solskjær knows that. We will set up to attack and it will be a game of who concedes first. If we manage the first goal, maybe we can sit deeper and try through balls to Vardy to finish the game off. But if we concede first, it could get ugly.

Could always have Albrighton and Thomas down the left to double up on defending and attacking. I genuinely can't come up with a system for Sunday with the players available that i'm happy with.

• Like 1

Kasper 

Evans, Morgan, Justin 

Thomas                           Albrighton 

Wilf Yori hamza 

Barnes Vardy 

Give Yori a free role sit hamza on Fernandes and pump balls over the top for Barnes and Vardy to latch on to. Justin in the back 3 to add some pace. 

Think I'm right in saying we haven't conceded a goal in the league at home since lock down. We just need to give 100% all over and what will be will be. 

4 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Kasper 

Evans, Morgan, Justin 

Thomas                           Albrighton 

Wilf Yori hamza 

Barnes Vardy 

Give Yori a free role sit hamza on Fernandes and pump balls over the top for Barnes and Vardy to latch on to. Justin in the back 3 to add some pace. 

Think I'm right in saying we haven't conceded a goal in the league at home since lock down. We just need to give 100% all over and what will be will be. 

That's not a bad idea. Though I'd rather have thomas on his natural left foot, justin at RCB, and Albrighton at RWB. 

If you want to win a game of this magnitude against a team that's dominated not only English football but European football in the past 30 years, you have to set up and play to your strengths...... Currently we have none, so all we can do is park the bus, hope to frustrate them, hoof the ball up field, hope vardy has the game of his life or De Gea and Maguire the worst or theirs. Bring on the Rooster for the last 10 minutes and 🙏 for a result. :scarf: keep the faith, blue army till I die and all that.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, LCFCJ said:

After the last few games and how Perez has shown how much better he is centrally he has to start centrally for me. Nacho and vards and then use barnes as an impact sub to run at there centre backs. 

I don't know, after seeing how their match against Arsenal went, I think Barnes pace will be a real asset to us in this match. 

On 21/07/2020 at 10:46, Ricey said:

I've been the opposite in a weird way. I think because everything else has stopped and there's not a lot else going on at the minute there is no distraction from football. I don't have my usual releases, so I've found that my frustration at football is amplified and I can't escape from it. I'd say the way I felt after Brighton, Chelsea, Bournemouth and Spurs is up there with the angriest I've felt after football. Normally I can pretty much brush it off after an hour or so, but in lockdown it sticks around for a couple of days.

I can't wait for it all to be over with to be honest and go back to the bliss of not being angry about things like substitutions, high lines, VAR, handballs and Dominic ****ing Solanke.

I'm with @Ricey(and hope the original poster doesn't feel the way he does because it has been REALLY bad for them personally/too close to home)

I'm well stressed. Managed to calm down last 2 days and doing alright so far today but come tonight I know it will all start again and won't stop until all this is over. 

Then we can stress about transfers with outcome having it's own stresses and excitements. 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😎

2 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

Yes it's a difficult call but for me, the three at the back is an absolute no no. This is not because I don't think that the formation issue necessarily a bad one for some occasions but more the three cente halves we have available to fill those positions. For me, to field Bennett at all would be the waste of a man. Evans and Morgan are better and I'd have another midfielder to protect the defence. Ndidi picks himself but he is possibly of more use winning the ball further up the pitch. In which case, although I don't personally see him as an out and out defensive midfielder,  I think the energy, mobility and tackling ability of Hamza could be a better asset. Mendy could also fulfil a role as he's very neat any rarely gives the ball away. Praet would also be a better option than Bennett I believe. 

3 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

There is another option which is to set up to counter attack.

meaning we cede possession but are ready to burst forward like a coiled spring once their attacks break down and their shape is AWOL.

This is not negative but it also keeps us more defensively solid.

18 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

There is another option which is to set up to counter attack.

meaning we cede possession but are ready to burst forward like a coiled spring once their attacks break down and their shape is AWOL.

This is not negative but it also keeps us more defensively solid.

As if such a far fetched ,fanciful approach could ever succeed :whistle:

2 hours ago, daddylonglegs said:

Brendan will try to go toe to toe with them and we'll get blown away in the first half. Sad but true :(

I think so . I love that so many on the board are hopeful if not confident - I don’t think I’ve ever felt so lacking in expectation about the outcome - the whole Man U bias in officiating and the lack of a settled side or even a style of playing will doom us 

1 minute ago, surrifox said:

I think so . I love that so many on the board are hopeful if not confident - I don’t think I’ve ever felt so lacking in expectation about the outcome - the whole Man U bias in officiating and the lack of a settled side or even a style of playing will doom us 

If you forget about the fact they've had some favourable decisions this year, the (annoying) truth is that their attack will overpower our second choice defence. Nothing we can do about that!

I agree with surrifox, the bias is just so blatant with any var penalty decision concerning Liverpool and Man u.

You can guarantee that if the ball contacts a City hand in our box, Man U will be given a penalty.

Does anyone honestly believe that reversed, the same is true?

• Like 1

On 21/07/2020 at 03:33, Mad Dog said:

Play Hamza and stick him on Fernandes all game. Don’t give him a second on the ball. Force them out wide. Let Morgan and Evans mop up the crosses. Catch them on the break; their defense is as error prone as theirs, their fullbacks will be pushed up as they get frustrated, go back to type and pump it in the channels for Vardy to chase.

We can beat these. They’re not invincible, they are knackered, and their manager won’t have a plan b if we nullify Fernandes.

Pontus Kaamark mark 2 

5 hours ago, rachhere said:

I don't know, after seeing how their match against Arsenal went, I think Barnes pace will be a real asset to us in this match. 

when did they play the Arse recently?