Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

57 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Amazing.

lol

Palace on the same points as the best ever promoted side who are managed by a footballing genius who crouches over a bucket or whatever.

Looking forward to Sky fapping over Hodgson like they do over Bielsa.

If Hodgson grew a whacking beard or hopped on one leg during the second half they would be. 

Bielsa crouching allows them to construct a narrative around him. Like Klopp and his 'rock and roll football'. It's not a ****ing thing. 

4 hours ago, Gerard said:

Only five teams from one country can go into the Champions League.

If Chelsea win the CL and finish 7th for example and Arsenal win the Europa League and finish 9th then only the top three qualify from the league positions.

Both European competition winners go into the CL regardless, both in Pot 1 as well.

Bloody hell, another scenario to worry about. 

We're special enough that this would happen if we finish 4th :huh:

Hoping Chelsea and Liverpool exit CL very soon now. If we win the EL it's not an issue :thumbup:

7 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Supposedly Palace have now achieved their highest points total at this stage of the season ever. Really makes you think how lucky we are currently. Just got to make sure we savour every minute.

What?!?! I swear they've won about 3 games.

They're a mystery Palace. They never seem to be in any serious danger of dropping either.

17 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Palace will be in trouble at some point. At some stage their squad is going to need an overhaul and Hodgson will probably had enough by then. Whoever's next going to be left in a mess. 

Agree. They regularly field sides with an average age of 30 or more. And if Zaha leaves they'll be in huge trouble. Before last night's incredibly fortunate win they had won 2 of 20 games without him, failing to score in SIXTEEN (!!!!) of those games. Their 2 wins without him came against Sheff U this season and.......

....you know who:facepalm:(well, we do love to be obliging of course).

Just noticed Southampton are playing their game in hand against Leeds tonight, is there any reason why Villa aren’t playing Everton too now? 
I hate looking at the imbalance of the league table and trying to work out games in hand. 
After tonight, am I right in saying Villa have games in hand against Spurs and Everton? Then we’re all on 25. 
Surely unless I’ve missed something Villa Everton could have been squeezed in this mid week.

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Palace will be in trouble at some point. At some stage their squad is going to need an overhaul and Hodgson will probably had enough by then. Whoever's next going to be left in a mess. 

Don’t they have one of the oldest squads going?

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

Just noticed Southampton are playing their game in hand against Leeds tonight, is there any reason why Villa aren’t playing Everton too now? 
I hate looking at the imbalance of the league table and trying to work out games in hand. 
After tonight, am I right in saying Villa have games in hand against Spurs and Everton? Then we’re all on 25. 
Surely unless I’ve missed something Villa Everton could have been squeezed in this mid week.

I agree, it's a bit odd. Everton are playing Southampton on Monday night. They have an empty mid week so they could have played Villa tonight. Maybe there's something we're missing.

On 19/02/2021 at 23:39, The Bear said:

Open and entertaining Leeds - 18 shots, 7 on target. 

Cagey pragmatic Wolves - 15 shots, 5 on target. 

24 games for Leeds, 43 goals conceded. Only West Brom have conceded more. Yeah they've scored 40 goals and run about a lot, but it hasn't gotten them anywhere because of their dreadful defensive record. Its like someone treading water with their legs going a million miles an hour under the water. 

What do you mean "hasn't gotten them anywhere"?  What did you think were Leeds' ambitions were at the start of this season?  Win our game in hand and we're top half of the table, 4 points behind last year's champions in sixth.  In what world is that "not getting anywhere"?  There isn't a single Leeds fan unhappy about this season.

The thing you and others contuinually fail to mention about this defence is that we've been desperately unlucky with injuries.  Our two crucial international CB signings have both got injured and missed most of the season so far.  The back up to them would have been Berardi.  Injured.  That's meant playing a RB there and more latterly, an academy player with Cooper. a player we bought from league one.  To compound that, our key CDM has missed about a qrt of the season and his backup, all of it.  Name me a team that can get promoted and cope with that, defensively?

Most of the last qrt of the season so far has been a Championship team with a smattering of championship reserve players plus Raphinha.  To cope with that and still stay around mid table, has been exceptional. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pub breath said:

What do you mean "hasn't gotten them anywhere"?  What did you think were Leeds' ambitions were at the start of this season?  Win our game in hand and we're top half of the table, 4 points behind last year's champions in sixth.  In what world is that "not getting anywhere"?  There isn't a single Leeds fan unhappy about this season.

The thing you and others contuinually fail to mention about this defence is that we've been desperately unlucky with injuries.  Our two crucial international CB signings have both got injured and missed most of the season so far.  The back up to them would have been Berardi.  Injured.  That's meant playing a RB there and more latterly, an academy player with Cooper. a player we bought from league one.  To compound that, our key CDM has missed about a qrt of the season and his backup, all of it.  Name me a team that can get promoted and cope with that, defensively?

Most of the last qrt of the season so far has been a Championship team with a smattering of championship reserve players plus Raphinha.  To cope with that and still stay around mid table, has been exceptional. 

You are doing well, there's a few reasons for dismissing what you are doing a) it's Leeds and there's always an annoyance amongst most fan bases about the smoke that gets blown up your harris, especially now you have Bielsa for the clichéd and unresearched media to cling on to and b) there's been a real overhype of mid table PL teams in recent seasons playing expansive football that often results in very little improvement in results than the dross served up by the likes of Newcastle, Burnley and Palace. 

As a first season goes though with the level of injuries (this is a consequence of Bielsa though as you have hideous injuries most seasons) you are doing well. I'm fascinated to see if you get back to the top 6-8, surely with some serious investment you may well do.

You're still a horrible, horrible club though 😉 

8 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Let’s not start preaching about injuries to us. This season we have at some point missed or will miss:

Justin

Praet

Soyuncu

Ricardo

Castagne

N’Didi

Maddison

Vardy 

Fofana

Perez

For a sustained number of games. We sit third. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You are doing well, there's a few reasons for dismissing what you are doing a) it's Leeds and there's always an annoyance amongst most fan bases about the smoke that gets blown up your harris, especially now you have Bielsa for the clichéd and unresearched media to cling on to and b) there's been a real overhype of mid table PL teams in recent seasons playing expansive football that often results in very little improvement in results than the dross served up by the likes of Newcastle, Burnley and Palace. 

As a first season goes though with the level of injuries (this is a consequence of Bielsa though as you have hideous injuries most seasons) you are doing well. I'm fascinated to see if you get back to the top 6-8, surely with some serious investment you may well do.

You're still a horrible, horrible club though 😉 

The media focus on Leeds very much works both ways.  Anything negative is horrifically overblown just as much - if not more - than the positive attention we get is.  We can't control the media and most Leeds fans have very little desire to be media darlings.  Blame the media fort that, not Leeds.

Not all of those injuries have been muscular so can't all be attributed to Bielsa.  Some are, I agree and his high workload inevitably does result in an increase in over-training type injuries.  There is bad luck there too though.  The parts of the field where we can cope much better have not been affected nearly as much as the defensive areas.  They have largely come in that area of the pitch and have been much more long term than is typical under Bielsa.

We're a lovely club and you know it.  just playing the role of the pantomime villain that football fans seem to need in their lives :D

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bert said:

Let’s not start preaching about injuries to us. This season we have at some point missed or will miss:

Justin

Praet

Soyuncu

Ricardo

Castagne

N’Didi

Maddison

Vardy 

Fofana

Perez

For a sustained number of games. We sit third. 

I think you've rather misunderstood me.  I'm not preaching to anyone.  I'm well aware of Leicester's injury issues and you've done incredibly well to cope with that.  However, conversely, it's always put forward as the reason for Liverpool struggling, despite them having had, well, forever to build a deep PL squad to cope with it.

In contrast, Leeds have only just come up.  We don't have years of building a deep PL quality squad behind us.  We tried to sign a small amount of quality to build slowly but as dumb luck would have it, one of those has been injured almost all of the season, another most of it and a third, about half.  You must surely recognise the difference?  It's not a fair comparison.

Next season, there will be fewer reasons to accept injuries as a get out for any struggles as we should be adding another 3 or 4 PL quality players in the summer.  It's about building sustainable progress, like Leicester did 6/7 years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pub breath said:

I think you've rather misunderstood me.  I'm not preaching to anyone.  I'm well aware of Leicester's injury issues and you've done incredibly well to cope with that.  However, conversely, it's always put forward as the reason for Liverpool struggling, despite them having had, well, forever to build a deep PL squad to cope with it.

In contrast, Leeds have only just come up.  We don't have years of building a deep PL quality squad behind us.  We tried to sign a small amount of quality to build slowly but as dumb luck would have it, one of those has been injured almost all of the season, another most of it and a third, about half.  You must surely recognise the difference?  It's not a fair comparison.

Next season, there will be fewer reasons to accept injuries as a get out for any struggles as we should be adding another 3 or 4 PL quality players in the summer.  It's about building sustainable progress, like Leicester did 6/7 years ago.

Don’t get me wrong, you’ve done well and I’m sure the target was to stay up this season which will be completed with ease. It just annoys me when teams go on like they’re the only side to have had injuries this season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bert said:

Don’t get me wrong, you’ve done well and I’m sure the target was to stay up this season which will be completed with ease. It just annoys me when teams go on like they’re the only side to have had injuries this season. 

Nah, wasn't trying to say that at all and I do believe that long-term plans for the PL have to to be built on the expectation of many injuries, not the hope of few.

1 hour ago, Pub breath said:

Nah, wasn't trying to say that at all and I do believe that long-term plans for the PL have to to be built on the expectation of many injuries, not the hope of few.

Indeed. 

Let’s hope for less injuries for all teams next season. 

• Like 3