Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Very good listen if you've got 20 minutes to spare. Can totally empathise with a lot of it, especially being annoyed at media and outsiders who have no real clue what's going on but tell the fans that they're wrong

Some of that I don't agree with, to be fair. Most significantly "Steve Bruce has spent £100m." Well, no, he hasn't. Newcastle United Football Club have spent 100m, I don't believe for one moment Steve Bruce is in charge of transfers. A lot of money might have been spent the squad is still absolutely terrible. £40m of that was Joelinton, ffs. He wants Newcastle to be playing attractive attacking football but with what attackers? Their £40m striker is a pub footballer. They almost looked decent for five minutes when Callum Wilson got fit up and running but he's crocked and now they're bollocksed again.

Allan Saint Maximin is one of their only actually exciting players, the only attacking or midfield player that would get in anyone's squad above 15th/16th and even he's wildly, wildly unpredictable. Andy Carroll? Dwight Gayle? Wtf?

I think Bruce is a shit manager and I wouldn't want him here but I also think Sean Dyche is a shit manager and I wouldn't want him here, that's because I absolute loathe negative anti-football. But I don't actually think Bruce is any worse than Dyche, he's just got absolute muck to work with. Given the squad Newcastle have, they could probably do worse than Bruce and given the squad Newcastle have I guess I kinda do find myself saying "what more do Newcastle fans want?"

I mean, obviously the answer is a better regime from top to bottom and I do sympathise with that but it still smacks massively of entitlement. Everyone in football wants that, what makes them special?

Edited by Finnegan

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Some of that I don't agree with, to be fair. Most significantly "Steve Bruce has spent £100m." Well, no, he hasn't. Newcastle United Football Club have spent 100m, I don't believe for one moment Steve Bruce is in charge of transfers. A lot of money might have been spent the squad is still absolutely terrible. £40m of that was Joelinton, ffs. He wants Newcastle to be playing attractive attacking football but with what attackers? Their £40m striker is a pub footballer. They almost looked decent for five minutes when Callum Wilson got fit up and running but he's crocked and now they're bollocksed again.

Allan Saint Maximin is one of their only actually exciting players, the only attacking or midfield player that would get in anyone's squad above 15th/16th and even he's wildly, wildly unpredictable. Andy Carroll? Dwight Gayle? Wtf?

I think Bruce is a shit manager and I wouldn't want him here but I also think Sean Dyche is a shit manager and I wouldn't want him here, that's because I absolute loathe negative anti-football. But I don't actually think Bruce is any worse than Dyche, he's just got absolute muck to work with. Given the squad Newcastle have, they could probably do worse than Bruce and given the squad Newcastle have I guess I kinda do find myself saying "what more do Newcastle fans want?"

I mean, obviously the answer is a better regime from top to bottom and I do sympathise with that but it still smacks massively of entitlement. Everyone in football wants that, what makes them special?

I'd probably have the creepy little bastard Almiron here over Perez to be honest.

I'd agree, I doubt he's in charge of transfers. Joelinton actually operates quite well in the number 10 spot yet has never played there, or rarely that I can think of lol. He's never been a 40 million player though, the transfer is so random and out of character for Newcastle that it makes me think it's some kind of money laundering scam. Although the same could be argued about us signing a an attacker for 30 million who's main contribution is winning the ball back after he loses it.

I think a lot of the vitriol should be towards Ashley who is simply their to milk as much money as possible with no ambitions of improving them. Bruce is a symptom of a club being poorly ran.

Out of interest, why is that entitlement? Why do you think Newcastle fans think they're special?

This is something I keep hearing and it reminds me a lot of the way outsiders spoke about the fan base when Ranieri was doggo and got the boot. I'm interested to know why wanting better for your club makes you entitled or above others?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I know it's popular to pretend Goodison is a good ground because it's "traditional" and shit but it's a ****ing dump, it's a generic boring square, why is that magically better than a generic boring bowl just because it's older? It's also  inexplicably still made of wood everywhere - how that's even still a thing after Valley Parade idk. 

It's crap. 

I just love grounds surrounded by housing estates, where you look down a row of houses to see part of a ground.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'd probably have the creepy little bastard Almiron here over Perez to be honest.

I'd agree, I doubt he's in charge of transfers. Joelinton actually operates quite well in the number 10 spot yet has never played there, or rarely that I can think of lol. He's never been a 40 million player though, the transfer is so random and out of character for Newcastle that it makes me think it's some kind of money laundering scam. Although the same could be argued about us signing a an attacker for 30 million who's main contribution is winning the ball back after he loses it.

I think a lot of the vitriol should be towards Ashley who is simply their to milk as much money as possible with no ambitions of improving them. Bruce is a symptom of a club being poorly ran.

Out of interest, why is that entitlement? Why do you think Newcastle fans think they're special?

This is something I keep hearing and it reminds me a lot of the way outsiders spoke about the fan base when Ranieri was doggo and got the boot. I'm interested to know why wanting better for your club makes you entitled or above others?

Bit harsh, he's also pretty good at winning the ball and then giving it away.... 

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I just love grounds surrounded by housing estates, where you look down a row of houses to see part of a ground.

Yeah I can get that, not taking the piss, I do understand what you mean. I like that sort of urban, unpolished aesthetic.

But the actual ground itself is shit, the facilities are shit, the atmosphere is shit, the infrastructure is shit, the views are shit. And the trade off isn't that it's somehow spectacular or impressive or even different looking.

It's just a generic square with some generic football stands that look like a generic rendering you'd get in a computer game if you asked someone to design an average football ground. It is literally the King Power Stadium, Pride Park, St Mary's of it's day with no unique features, nothing at all to make it special. You don't stand in it, look around and go "wow", with or without the supporters in it.

It gets trotted out as an example of a TrAdItIoNaL eNgLiSh GrOuNd by hipsters and the media all the time just because it's Everton's and you can't say anything bad about Scouse clubs lest they all cry on social for years.

I mean you stand up in the away end at St James and you genuinely do go "woah." Same as Old Trafford, you know these places are impressive.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It's like when he starts complaining that they haven't invested, moments after complaining that Bruce wasted 100m.

Or how "we grew up thinking it was going to be our year" (IE, they grew up watching Kegan's team briefly getting in title races) so now the expectation is that they should still be able to optimistic and have hope that they can win the league, or even be in the mix? I mean, Palace fans don't have that, Southampton fans don't have that, Burnley fans don't have that, Villa fans don't have that, why do Newcastle fans "deserve" it? Fans of the majority of football clubs just have to accept being also-rans, they're nothing special.

Then they buy in to the whole "doing a Leicester" myth. There's this idea that "anyone can be Leicester" around English football and it's sort of nonsense really. A lot of teams have the money to be Leicester, I suppose, but not everyone can do what we do. We have exceptionally good owners, exceptionally good recruitment, our players are exceptionally well coached, if it was easy to put infrastructure like that together to run your club then everyone would be doing it. Manchester United with their billions can't even get it right it, it's obviously not something you can just click your fingers and have if your chairman invests enough.

I think fans of every club have a right to demand to be entertained, I absolutely do believe that. I don't think that's entitlement. So if their complaint was always grounded in the fact that Newcastle are just not fun to watch, I'd be absolutely on board. They'd have my complete sympathy just as fans of Palace and Burnley do, even if a lot of them would actually tell me to fvck off because they LIKE being shithouse clubs. I'd personally hate to support Burnley, I'd hate to support any team managed by Roy Hodgson, Jose Mourinho, Steve Bruce, Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce, et all.

But that's never where Newcastle fans' complaints begin and end, it's always about how much money Ashley has injected and where they are in the table as if they have a divine right to be higher. SOMEONE has to be 17th but at the end of the day, why can't it be them?

We'd have been entitled when we wanted Claudio sacking in 16/17 purely because we were upset that Leicester City might go down. But we actually WEREN'T entitled because the reality is we had a squad that had been good enough to win the title and we had a manager that was slowly trying to dismantle all of Pearson's hard work that he'd promised not to tamper with and which he'd used, added his own expertise and gone on to become Champions with before somehow imploding. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3

The Newcastle one is funny. It’s like they forget we are in the most competitive league in the world and it’s an unforgiving mistress week on week. You can’t expect to sign the shit they have and Bruce drive up the league. Equally who’s spot do they think they take? We’ve had recent success, built year on year. Then there’s super clubs in and around us who have the backing to compete. There’s only so many spots up there and just because they have a big ground and a few nutty fans doesn’t give them the divine right to be there. Same as West Ham.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's like when he starts complaining that they haven't invested, moments after complaining that Bruce wasted 100m.

Or how "we grew up thinking it was going to be our year" (IE, they grew up watching Kegan's team briefly getting in title races) so now the expectation is that they should still be able to optimistic and have hope that they can win the league, or even be in the mix? I mean, Palace fans don't have that, Southampton fans don't have that, Burnley fans don't have that, Villa fans don't have that, why do Newcastle fans "deserve" it? Fans of the majority of football clubs just have to accept being also-rans, they're nothing special.

Then they buy in to the whole "doing a Leicester" myth. There's this idea that "anyone can be Leicester" around English football and it's sort of nonsense really. A lot of teams have the money to be Leicester, I suppose, but not everyone can do what we do. We have exceptionally good owners, exceptionally good recruitment, our players are exceptionally well coached, if it was easy to put infrastructure like that together to run your club then everyone would be doing it. Manchester United with their billions can't even get it right it, it's obviously not something you can just click your fingers and have if your chairman invests enough.

I think fans of every club have a right to demand to be entertained, I absolutely do believe that. I don't think that's entitlement. So if their complaint was always grounded in the fact that Newcastle are just not fun to watch, I'd be absolutely on board. They'd have my complete sympathy just as fans of Palace and Burnley do, even if a lot of them would actually tell me to fvck off because they LIKE being shithouse clubs. I'd personally hate to support Burnley, I'd hate to support any team managed by Roy Hodgson, Jose Mourinho, Steve Bruce, Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce, et all.

But that's never where Newcastle fans' complaints begin and end, it's always about how much money Ashley has injected and where they are in the table as if they have a divine right to be higher. SOMEONE has to be 17th but at the end of the day, why can't it be them?

We'd have been entitled when we wanted Claudio sacking in 16/17 purely because we were upset that Leicester City might go down. But we actually WEREN'T entitled because the reality is we had a squad that had been good enough to win the title and we had a manager that was slowly trying to dismantle all of Pearson's hard work that he'd promised not to tamper with and which he'd used, added his own expertise and gone on to become Champions with before somehow imploding. 

I think that's probably where we disagree, there's no reason a team couldn't adopt a similar model to us and I'd be surprised if more don't considering our success. If Brentford manage to come up without bottling it one season it'll be interesting to see how they do as they're probably doing what we do to punch above their weight. With the Prem money, will they be able to move up yet another level. I think a lot of teams choose to do it a different way because they're not brave enough or don't have the right people in place to do it. Yet they'll happily spunk 10s of millions on average players.

I only know a couple of Newcastle fans and consistently their only complaint is that they want to see a game plan and ideally see their team enter the other teams half on a more regular basis. Having to deal with Ashley on a long term basis must be draining as well. It's draining for me, I've had to hear the complaints for the past 5 or 6 years lol

Imagine supporting a team in this day and age where finances are fairly even outside of the major 6 earners in the league and there's not a hint of ambition. The sole aim is to stay in the league and keep collecting the dividends each year. Imagine that you're constantly bottom of any form of attacking statistics. This forum would be an absolutely miserable place to be if that happened haha.

Fair play, you can pick apart a few bits of a 20 minute argument, but I'd imagine you'd be saying very similar things and (with matching anger :D) if you were a fan of Newcastle.

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's like something out of primary school. Totally patronising and embarrassing.

That is surely a joke. What referee actually wants this?

It's like the NHS clap where doctors and nurses wanted actual change but were presented with patronising bollocks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

That is surely a joke. What referee actually wants this?

It's like the NHS clap where doctors and nurses wanted actual change but were presented with patronising bollocks.

I don't see it going ahead, they will surely realise how stupid it is. It actually totally undermines them before they even start the game.

12 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's like something out of primary school. Totally patronising and embarrassing.

Absolutely **** that. How about refs be obviously less biased and stick to reffing games rather than trying to steal headlines. If a ref and a whole team of VAR ***** can't spot a lumbering slabhead deliberately take somebody out off the ball in the 6 yard box then they can get to **** if they think anybodies clapping. 

• Like 1