Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Providing we play well and win tomorrow I’d take a draw Sunday against arsenal and then hopefully a couple of wins in the next two

Beating Arsenal home and away in a season is not easy, even when they are as erratic as they have been these last 2 seasons. We obviously fear any dropping of points is a concern of it then happening more and more and us being caught by Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool but this next batch of 6 games I think we'll again get around 11-15 points which will be more than good enough for our pursuit of a top 4 finish.

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Southampton are in freefall

Hope they don't drop. Really like them and their manager, they are now in a more realistic position with the players they have but should 'should' be too good to drop. Seems beating Liverpool messed up their season, it's a really odd one.

Think these next set of games will see a very strong one game at a time mindset enforced by Rodgers and his team I reckon. Would imagine they want to go very carefully, yet positively, after last last season and his admissions of getting ahead of ourselves.

Arsenal are erratic but the attitude of well we should just beat them is far too cocksure. When we won the league they did the double over us. We don't generally do well against them and while we should certainly go in to the game with optimism and play on the front foot if we think we're just going to walk over them they will do us, they still have good players, man City only did them 1 0 and they put them under a lot of pressure. Be an amazing result if we can get it. 

53 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Hope they don't drop. Really like them and their manager, they are now in a more realistic position with the players they have but should 'should' be too good to drop. Seems beating Liverpool messed up their season, it's a really odd one.

Pretty much like beating Man Utd did to us under Pearson. That result should have kicked on our season, but we imploded until the great escape. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I'm not sure that he fits the profile Leicester are looking for.

He turns 29 this Summer and has had his share of injuries over his career.

I would much prefer a younger player who can grow with the club rather than someone closing in on the end of their career.

My guess is that he will end up at Spurs as Kanes understudy.

That assumes Kane stays. I can see Kane going to Man City and Son going abroad

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Beating Arsenal home and away in a season is not easy, even when they are as erratic as they have been these last 2 seasons. We obviously fear any dropping of points is a concern of it then happening more and more and us being caught by Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool but this next batch of 6 games I think we'll again get around 11-15 points which will be more than good enough for our pursuit of a top 4 finish.

We owe them for being the only team to do the double over us during the title winning season (i believe)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

They were already showing signs of struggling when they beat Liverpool,  which possibly is an even sadder indictment of Liverpool. Southampton play a high octane system that requires a healthy and confident squad, both mental and physical health seems to have taken a battering and they are now really in trouble. Hopefully they snap out of it, football is so much about momentum right now.

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Henderson's apparently out for 12 weeks so get ready to hear only about that injury for the foreseeable. 

I wonder how long he would have been out for if he hadn't trotted back out on to the pitch for another try?

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

They were already showing signs of struggling when they beat Liverpool,  which possibly is an even sadder indictment of Liverpool. Southampton play a high octane system that requires a healthy and confident squad, both mental and physical health seems to have taken a battering and they are now really in trouble. Hopefully they snap out of it, football is so much about momentum right now.

At the final whistle when they beat Liverpool didnt Hasenhüttl collapse to the ground in tears? I did think at the time it was a little odd, portraying weakness, and they've been in freefall since. The fact that practically everyone has beaten Liverpool recently suggests it was more about Liverpool's form than Southampton's.

I think you're right that Southampton's high intensity style is harder to sustain in this covid affected season. You could say the same about Liverpool to be honest.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Hassenhutel has taken a lot of credit, but some of his recent decisions at least on the face of it seem baffling. He should have rested Ings against Chelsea if he needed to, at 0-0 he could have run riot the way Leeds push forward early on. Instead saints were toothless and paid the price. 

I like the guy, and I think he will go on to be a fantastic manager. But I don't think he suits Southampton in their current state.

A bit like Potter he needs 3 or 4 signings to get the team firing whilst playing the way he wants to. But saints wont spend and there's only so long you can rely on your youth team for (Tella does look excellent though!) They looked shot to pieces fitness wise last night because the squad is stretched to breaking point.

Decisions like the Ings one last night always strike me as a cry for help, a deliberate attempt to force a rethink from upstairs in time for next season.

I think he'll go at the end of the season, perhaps of his own accord. 

Watched that programme last night, Richard Hammond's Big, about the Spurs stadium. Loved the way he kept referring to the 'soccer field'. The mega-modern stadium, with its slide-away pitch, its robotic lawn mowers, its artificial sunlight, and its fill-up-from-the-bottom beer glasses were mighty impressive. So why don't they use a line-drawing machine that's equally high-tech? Surely, a laser-guided robotic contraption would be more in-keeping with such an ultra-modern set up. 

31 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

At the final whistle when they beat Liverpool didnt Hasenhüttl collapse to the ground in tears? I did think at the time it was a little odd, portraying weakness, and they've been in freefall since. The fact that practically everyone has beaten Liverpool recently suggests it was more about Liverpool's form than Southampton's.

I think you're right that Southampton's high intensity style is harder to sustain in this covid affected season. You could say the same about Liverpool to be honest.

I am with you on that. It's not so much I believe it portraying weakness, I just believe it set a standard that gave that result some false feeling of redemption or winning a trophy. Gave the players a feeling to rest rather than push on. 

There's something not quite right with the mentality in Southampton's squad. They are go through these spells, ended up towards the relegation zone one year and then threaten to the top six of the table. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I am with you on that. It's not so much I believe it portraying weakness, I just believe it set a standard that gave that result some false feeling of redemption or winning a trophy. Gave the players a feeling to rest rather than push on. 

There's something not quite right with the mentality in Southampton's squad. They are go through these spells, ended up towards the relegation zone one year and then threaten to the top six of the table. 

Personally I think he had them over achieving and it was always going to crumble eventually. 

They have one top quality player and someone with decent set pieces but other than that they are an incredibly average side that he had playing very well. 

momentum can only take you so far.

4 hours ago, Koke said:

Bruce did decent at Sunderland when they finished mid table. He finished 10th in 10/11 with Sunderland. He finished 11th with Wigan in 08/09. IMO he overachieved with both Sunderland and Wigan getting them to mid table. But that was more than a decade ago. He was an alright manager back then but he has become progressively worse since. Football has passed him by. 

Bruce has a terrible win % at PL level because he's always in charge of bottom 6 type clubs (Wigan, Sunderland, Birmingham, Hull). Roy Hodgson has a 33% win rate at Palace and he's been there nearly 4 years. I haven't looked but I'm sure Pulis and Allardyce have similar numbers.

Whilst he's now had long enough to improve them, in fairness to Hodgson he must have spent a long-time sorting out the messes that preceded him. No manager is going into a Palace side drowning under De Boer and smashing it with a 75% win ratio, I think some context is relevant.

Edited by Langston

1 hour ago, Langston said:

Whilst he's now had long enough to improve them, in fairness to Hodgson he must have spent a long-time sorting out the messes that preceded him. No manager is going into a Palace side drowning under De Boer and smashing it with a 75% win ratio, I think some context is relevant.

Hodgson, Bruce and Allardyce are now out of their depth & the league has passed them by. The younger managers are trying to play football which is a good thing for the fans.

The West Brom -Burnley last week was just a brutal visual experience !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Hodgson, Bruce and Allardyce are now out of their depth & the league has passed them by. The younger managers are trying to play football which is a good thing for the fans.

The West Brom -Burnley last week was just a brutal visual experience !

The standard has been raised. No fan base are now willing to put up with PulisBall just to "keep them up". People are bored of watching away teams have 20% possession and 3 touches in the opposition box. It's a new era. Either you play football or you get out of this league. Bruce, Allardyce and their ilk are on their footballing death bed. 

Also, the narrative that you have to play the Allardyce/Pulis way to stay up needs to die. If my team is going down regardless, I'd rather we sebt down like Fulham than West Brom.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Koke said:

The standard has been raised. No fan base are now willing to put up with PulisBall just to "keep them up". People are bored of watching away teams have 20% possession and 3 touches in the opposition box. It's a new era. Either you play football or you get out of this league. Bruce, Allardyce and their ilk are on their footballing death bed. 

Also, the narrative that you have to play the Allardyce/Pulis way to stay up needs to die. If my team is going down regardless, I'd rather we sent down like Fulham than West Brom.

Absolutely agree.

First & foremost I am a football fan who supports a certain team. Watching W Brom even if they were my team would have me ready to slash. Hopefully Fat Sam will now stay at home & find a new hobby.

4 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Arsenal are erratic but the attitude of well we should just beat them is far too cocksure. When we won the league they did the double over us. We don't generally do well against them and while we should certainly go in to the game with optimism and play on the front foot if we think we're just going to walk over them they will do us, they still have good players, man City only did them 1 0 and they put them under a lot of pressure. Be an amazing result if we can get it. 

We did rather sh*thouse our win at the Emirates in fairness! lol

Make no mistake, it will be a tough game, and I fully expect us to conserve energy and play our steady, on-the-counter game again. It's worked nearly every time we've employed it this season in fairness (Liverpool away being the single blip).

But take nothing for granted - Arsenal are playing far better football than last time we played them - when they were genuinely being talked about as in a relegation scrap. :fishing:

We must be defensively sound to get anything from it. I think I'd take a draw, but i'm optimistic if we don't give away silly goals.

Edited by OntarioFox

3 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Does anyone know why Spurs' Europa League game is being played tonight, instead of Thursday?

What a goal from alli 

They said they arranged thinking Arsenal would be at home on the same day. I'm not sure why they cant play at home on the same day seeing as fans cant attend anyway.