Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

Reminds me of the Andre Gray situation few years back. He tweeted offensive things when he was iike 17 or something. Still got a 4 game ban because it was dug out years later by Liverpool fans.

The Andre Gray tweets were completely different, I believe he was calling for gays to be burned. Bowen hashtagged a phrase that was widely used at the time. Obviously using that language is wrong but children say silly things all the time. Common sense needed from the FA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

The Andre Gray tweets were completely different, I believe he was calling for gays to be burned. Bowen hashtagged a phrase that was widely used at the time. Obviously using that language is wrong but children say silly things all the time. Common sense needed from the FA.

Yeah I don’t think there’s a straightforward victim in Bowen’s tweets compared to Gray’s. Obviously a word you clearly shouldn’t be using in pubic or private but there’s no malice, whereas Gray’s is full of malice and has a clear target imo

4 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I'm not one for saying that these things and language generally doesn't matter. It's something we should be mindful of and careful about.

There should, however, be a sense of perspective and digging up random tweets like this from a 15 year old isn't helping any cause. Especially if it's one in isolation rather than an example of many.

He's apologised we move on. That's it. It's hardly a crime where he should be hunted down and chucked in a river with the statue of Edward Colston is it? 

Well said. But I’ll be surprised if the draconian, unforgiving Kick it Out mob see it that way.

52 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

West Ham fans dug it up apparently lol nice one lads. 

Hopefully this helps to derail their season although I doubt anyone of sane mind at West Ham gives much of a fvck

The same fans saying they still support Slavia regardless of what happened recently? Interesting 

On 25/03/2021 at 13:08, Leicester_Loyal said:

OGS signing a new contract at United shortly.

Even if they don't win the Europa League apparently. Been having an argument with some Man Utd fans about this but their standards are pitifully low for a club of their supposed size. Genuinely shocks me that they watch their rivals winning the biggest trophies whilst they're happy to just make the top 4 every year and crash out of cups to shit like Basaksehir.

He's done better than I thought he would, but my expectations were extremely low in the first place, and I'm not the one who it matters to. They have no serious ambition.

19 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

Good to hear Rio's big brain thoughts on the issue. Interesting to see him siding with Mike Ashley, it's not as if he's got a big endorsement contract with his Sports Direct business or anything... oh that's right, he has. And right here is why the punditry on NUFC has been unprofessional pretty much across the board. Listening to 5Live the other night discuss NUFC and the unabashed defense of Steve Bruce by Micah Richards and Chris Sutton (both who declared their friendship with him) was sickening. Micah would say, "I'm not trying to defend him..." then spend the next five minutes defending him. They had a NUFC fan just list the facts and history of bad management which proves Bruce should be nowhere near a Premier League club and should go. Micah's response was to say people shouldn't get personal. Which is telling imo, there was nothing personal said but Micah took it personally for Bruce. I wouldn't be surprised this is why Bruce was hired (it's certainly not because of his ability as a manager). His contacts/friendships in the media would give him a buffer.

I have connections in Newcastle who're all Toon fans and I can't help to feel their pain. Ashely has systematically gutted the soul out of the club and its fans. Stay up, go down, none of the problems at that club (and there's so so many) get fixed until he's gone. It might be no bad thing they spend a little time in the first division. A massive drop in attendance at St James, the loss of TV money etc might see him cut and run.  

I heard an interesting theory on them the other day that Ashley is actually purposely getting them relegated so he can force the sale through under far less scrutiny after what happened last summer. Would be quite a risky game to play but it makes you wonder why he's still so behind a manager so clearly out of his depth.

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Even if they don't win the Europa League apparently. Been having an argument with some Man Utd fans about this but their standards are pitifully low for a club of their supposed size. Genuinely shocks me that they watch their rivals winning the biggest trophies whilst they're happy to just make the top 4 every year and crash out of cups to shit like Basaksehir.

He's done better than I thought he would, but my expectations were extremely low in the first place, and I'm not the one who it matters to. They have no serious ambition.

He has done better than what I though too, but look at the wage bill and transfer fees... it is below expectations in that regard. We truly took them apart in the fa cup as well. They have a couple of world class players that seem to get OGS out of trouble at times but genuinely I wouldn’t put many of their players in our side. They crashed out of the CL, FA Cup and not even close to Man City. 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I heard an interesting theory on them the other day that Ashley is actually purposely getting them relegated so he can force the sale through under far less scrutiny after what happened last summer. Would be quite a risky game to play but it makes you wonder why he's still so behind a manager so clearly out of his depth.

Yeah I heard my Toon mate suggest the same thing. I kind of took as grasping at straws, they're so desperate for something to happen. I'm not entirely sure the scrutiny is coming entirely from the FA/PL but also from ManC who have a direct antagonistic relationship with the proposed buyers. The sort of money they'll bring eclipses pretty much everybody so will be a very direct threat to all the big clubs. The idea they'll let it slip under the radar is questionable. 

Less scrutiny absolutely makes sense but if he sells a Championship club it's going to be at a lower value than a PL club surely?  Big Mike will not like losing £££, would he really plan that?

Edited by FoyleFox

Newcastle were relegated four times in their history before Ashley took over- now they could have their third in 14 years under him.

I mean, just look at his managerial appointments. Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear, Alan Shearer, Chris Hughton, Alan Pardew, John Carver, Steve McClaren, Rafa Benitez, Steve Bruce. Two of those for sentimental reasons, one had just been sacked from a League One club, another had gone from 1st to 8th with Derby in two months, Bruce pushed out of Aston Villa. Kinnear- God knows what that thinking was about?

Benitez stands out a mile in that list- he's not the level of manager Ashley attracts (or seems to want). The whole thing screams unambitious. A dreadful set-up.

6 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Less scrutiny absolutely makes sense but if he sells a Championship club it's going to be at a lower value than a PL club surely?  Big Mike will not like losing £££, would he really plan that?

No

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

Newcastle were relegated four times in their history before Ashley took over- now they could have their third in 14 years under him.

I mean, just look at his managerial appointments. Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear, Alan Shearer, Chris Hughton, Alan Pardew, John Carver, Steve McClaren, Rafa Benitez, Steve Bruce. Two of those for sentimental reasons, one had just been sacked from a League One club, another had gone from 1st to 8th with Derby in two months, Bruce pushed out of Aston Villa. Kinnear- God knows what that thinking was about?

Benitez stands out a mile in that list- he's not the level of manager Ashley attracts (or seems to want). The whole thing screams unambitious. A dreadful set-up.

I agree that Bruce wasn't a good appointment but he was actually doing a really, really tidy job at Sheffield Wednesday when he was poached.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Langston said:

I agree that Bruce wasn't a good appointment but he was actually doing a really, really tidy job at Sheffield Wednesday when he was poached.

Yeah, I don't think they'd be the mess they are if he'd stayed.

He's just not a Premier League appointment any more, the last time he was was in 2009. Very good at getting teams promoted or challenging but if he stays after relegation I don't see Newcastle coming straight back.

18 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Jarrod-Bowen-leaked-racist-tweet-on-Blac

I understand it’s possible for a 15 year old to make a mistake which don’t reflect their true opinions but why on earth football players use the same Twitter account from when they are 15 is beyond me. I’m pretty confident I’ve never said anything terrible on social media but I’d make a fresh account just in case if I became pro. 

8 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

I must admit I’m surprised that players’ agents don’t sit their client down and trawl through/delete every bit of crap they’ve ever posted. 

Or upon signing your pro contract, someone in the club's social media team deletes all the historic crap. 

Social media has been around for long enough now that things which may have been acceptable once or that people may not have been so aware it wasn't, are now very unacceptable but could be loitering out there.

6 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

He has done better than what I though too, but look at the wage bill and transfer fees... it is below expectations in that regard. We truly took them apart in the fa cup as well. They have a couple of world class players that seem to get OGS out of trouble at times but genuinely I wouldn’t put many of their players in our side. They crashed out of the CL, FA Cup and not even close to Man City. 

They're not even close to Man City and yet this doesn't seem to bother them. They call themselves the biggest club in the world. Real Madrid wouldn't stand for this. I just think they've lowered their expectations too much - and especially for a club who are the size they claim to be.

I do appreciate the Glazers are a problem but they can do so, so much better than Solskjaer.