Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

47 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

It really won't. After 29 games last season, when lockdown started, we were 5 points clear of 4th and 8 points clear of 5th. Which is exactly the same position we were in before today, again after 29 games. 

I mean that is unbelievably pedantic but fine, the same drop off of 9 points from the last 9 games would probably see us drop out.

However, there isn't one stand out side like man utd last year looking like they're going to win 7 of their last 9 - could be wrong.

And additionally in our last ten games we're averaging just under 2 points a game, we've lost something like 3 games in 17. The signs were far worse last year. We'd been beaten by Norwich, Southampton, City twice, Liverpool in the space of about 12 games ahead of lockdown.

Even if we dropped off from averaging 1.9 points a game to 1.4/1.5 we'd still likely make IMO and the stats would suggest that too. We'd need virtually relegation form not to make which is pretty much what happened last year and I don't think the signs are there despite the panic merchants.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

For the sake of the panic merchants, I've split the form table into 9 games sections and highlighted comparisons year on year.

Last year - 1st, 3rd. 2nd, 2nd. 3rd, 9th. 4th, 15th.

Note the noticeable drop off in the 3rd part of the season.

This year - 1st, 4th. 2nd, 3rd. 3rd, 3rd.

It's going to take a significant drop off in form for us to fall out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

For the sake of the panic merchants, I've split the form table into 9 games sections and highlighted comparisons year on year.

Very useful - despite your name 👌 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I mean that is unbelievably pedantic but fine, the same drop off of 9 points from the last 9 games would probably see us drop out.

However, there isn't one stand out side like man utd last year looking like they're going to win 7 of their last 9 - could be wrong.

And additionally in our last ten games we're averaging just under 2 points a game, we've lost something like 3 games in 17. The signs were far worse last year. We'd been beaten by Norwich, Southampton, City twice, Liverpool in the space of about 12 games ahead of lockdown.

Even if we dropped off from averaging 1.9 points a game to 1.4/1.5 we'd still likely make IMO and the stats would suggest that too. We'd need virtually relegation form not to make which is pretty much what happened last year and I don't think the signs are there despite the panic merchants.

Not pedantic, just stating facts. In response to your second paragraph, there is definitely a chance that Liverpool could go on a Man U style run from here. Not saying they will but they have just won 2 very tricky away fixtures, have some really winnable fixtures coming up and have a recent history of winning lots of games on the trot in winning the League. None of this is to say we should panic by the way and you make a good point about our form coming into the last 9 games this season compared to last.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Not pedantic, just stating facts. In response to your second paragraph, there is definitely a chance that Liverpool could go on a Man U style run from here. Not saying they will but they have just won 2 very tricky away fixtures, have some really winnable fixtures coming up and have a recent history of winning lots of games on the trot in winning the League. None of this is to say we should panic by the way and you make a good point about our form coming into the last 9 games this season compared to last.

Absolutely, though to lose a top 4 spot we'd need 2 teams to have that sort of form on the basis we are just on average form. Out of the chasing pack its possible one team will have that sort of run but its highly unlikely two teams will.

Therefore I'm not too worried about Liverpool's potential run as long as another team from 4th to 8th doesnt hit an 20pts + form for the remaining games.

Edited by Nalis

4 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

What a beautiful morning today, I'm in a much better mood today with a smile on my face. 

Happy Easter all 

And the same to you ..  beautiful day ! ..  I’ve got to chop off the end of a drainage pipe and tidy up some cabling today  ...  but first ..  a full English ! ...   😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Our form last season was on a downward trajectory long before lockdown. It wasn't those last 8 or 9 games that were the problem, it was the previous 8 or 9. 

Yup I think we are in a better position this year compared to last we was shit for about 15 games

9 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Wait, how many seasons are you going back? 9 x 8 appears to be nearly 2 seasons? A bit confused.

13 hours ago, Torten said:

My problem with Arteta is that he has the aura of Pep Guardiola with absolutely nothing to back it up.

I’d like to see what Pep would do with Arsenal though, I dare say he’d struggle.

Pep’s a ****, who has often walked into teams with great players, needs a shit ton of money, often leaves teams needing a rebuild and then moves onto the next ready built team - he might take that next team to the next level (albeit with an incredibly boring style) but I’d love to see him given a challenge of a “lesser” team with not so much at his disposal. (I appreciate this could be said about any “top” manager but for me it applies to Pep more than most)

13 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Jota at it again for Liverpool 

Set up by Alexander Arnold.

Wonder if Southgate was watching?

I don’t get everyone up in arms about Southgate not picking TAA. He’s been poor (playing in a team who have been poor may I add).

I often level big criticism at the England set up, Southgate or whoever is the ‘yes man’ manager for that matter that players are picked for who they are, their name or who they play for.

He was corrected not picked.

It may even been seen as giving him a kick up the backside.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’d like to see what Pep would do with Arsenal though, I dare say he’d struggle.

Pep’s a ****, who has often walked into teams with great players, needs a shit ton of money, often leaves teams needing a rebuild and then moves onto the next ready built team - he might take that next team to the next level (albeit with an incredibly boring style) but I’d love to see him given a challenge of a “lesser” team with not so much at his disposal. (I appreciate this could be said about any “top” manager but for me it applies to Pep more than most)

I don’t get everyone up in arms about Southgate not picking TAA. He’s been poor (playing in a team who have been poor may I add).

I often level big criticism at the England set up, Southgate or whoever is the ‘yes man’ manager for that matter that players are picked for who they are, their name or who they play for.

He was corrected not picked.

It may even been seen as giving him a kick up the backside.

Re TAA, absolutely agree that he has been poor recently. But then has Reece James, who got called up instead, been any better for Chelsea? He's regularly been on the bench and is not a good defender at all in my eyes. He's decent going forward but TAA definitely offers more. The fact is that there is a huge bias in favour of Chelsea players in this current England set up, as we saw with Mount being fast tracked ahead of Maddison on the back of very little PL experience at the time. Jeez, even Tomori got a few call ups at the start of last season! Oh, and then we have Chilwell starting in 2 of the 3 recent games over Shaw, who has performed so much better this season.  None of this is surprising when you realise that Southgate's assistant manager is the ex Chelsea youth team coach, of course....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Re TAA, absolutely agree that he has been poor recently. But then has Reece James, who got called up instead, been any better for Chelsea? He's regularly been on the bench and is not a good defender at all in my eyes. He's decent going forward but TAA definitely offers more. The fact is that there is a huge bias in favour of Chelsea players in this current England set up, as we saw with Mount being fast tracked ahead of Maddison on the back of very little PL experience at the time. Jeez, even Tomori got a few call ups at the start of last season! Oh, and then we have Chilwell starting in 2 of the 3 recent games over Shaw, who has performed so much better this season.  None of this is surprising when you realise that Southgate's assistant manager is the ex Chelsea youth team coach, of course....

Can’t disagree with any of that.

As I mentioned in my post I often level this criticism of the bias in the England set up and whichever yes man is currently in charge picking players on who they are or who they play for not what they’re doing.

You make good points about James, which I agree with, but equally I don’t get the talk of TAA should have been picked just because he had a good game last night, he’s been poor, he didn’t deserve to pick, as you point out neither did James but it just sums up the selection process really doesn’t it.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kyleolly said:

Jeez this forum is something special we’ve just lost 2-0 to the best team in the league which will lead us to tumbling out of the top 4. Yet a couple of weeks ago after beating United 3-1 we were going to finish second and win the Fa cup lol

Football fans are a proper bunch of wild mood swingers.... 

It doesn't help that the media runs with it too. A bad result and you are completely out of it; a good result and you are on your way to titles and trophies. This knee-jerk reaction culture is another part of modern football, that really grinds me.

5 minutes ago, Kingleicester said:

This has got to be the worse super Sunday lineup of super Sunday history 🤣

I was very surprised our game and the Arsenal/Liverpool game were yesterday, let alone both of them. Thought at least one would be today. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I was very surprised our game and the Arsenal/Liverpool game were yesterday, let alone both of them. Thought at least one would be today. 

Both Liverpool and Man City have Champions League on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

12 minutes ago, Koke said:

Both Liverpool and Man City have Champions League on Tuesday. 

Yes they had to swap the Arsenal v Liverpool and Villa v Fulham games.

Maybe generally it’s a sign there is too much on?

Mind you Chelsea v West Brom ended up being a good game unless you were a Chelsea fan !