Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

15 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They have sacked basically their scouting team to utilise a super agents network, in Kia Whatshisbloodyname. Doesn’t strike to me as well run 

15 hours ago, Jaspa said:

Works for Wolves

Wolves own a chunk of Mendes’ agency (so club and agent are branches of one business).  While Joorabchian appears to run the football side of Arsenal for personal benefit (and has 20 years’ prior for such dealing, starting at Corinthians in Brazil).

So these “agent connections” work in almost opposite ways.  Valuable Mendes players are never linked away from Wolves for big raises -- he is representing the club first, them second.  While Arsenal becomes a big-money home for otherwise-unemployable Joorabchian players like David Luiz. 

And now Arsenal have doubled down on Kia and his boys (Sanllehi, Edu) by firing scouts and data experts.  More rough waters ahead for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/27/kia-joorabchians-growing-influence-arsenal-identity-crisis

https://theathletic.com/1392016/2019/11/21/edu-kia-joorabchian-and-what-it-means-for-arsenal/

[excerpt:]  Romain Molina, a journalist who has written a book about Emery, was moved to say: “Kia is behind the arrival of Edu at Arsenal, so the interests of the club will follow his own, as usual.  To allow Kia to bring back the sporting director brings many risks — ask QPR, Reading (both have signed several Joorabchian clients), Corinthians. It remains to be seen whether Edu remains ‘independent’ in his choices. The past shows that Kia has the last word.”

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Manini said:

Yeah think it’s a bit off Rodgers has been shortlisted to be honest. I think it just shows a bit of a blinkered view from outsiders that think it’s been class because we’ve finished 5th. Don’t get me wrong it’s a decent finish but the form since Christmas certainly doesn’t warrant any personal awards for the manager in my eyes. 

Who else would be more deserving of being shortlisted though really I suppose? Dyche maybe? Surprised Eddie Howe didn’t get a mention, he nearly kept little old Bournemouth up in the end :ph34r:

I think Dyche deserves a shout given Burnley don't seem to spend that much and he gets the best out of those players.

I don't think Lampard should be there. Chelsea won the Europa league last year and finished 3rd with pretty much the same squad as this season but just minus Hazard.

Loads of managers had a good half season... Rodgers, Hasenhuttl, Mourinho has turned Spurs around.

I dont get the Lampard loving he is such a media darling, proper cockney England lad etc etc etc, insufferable. Bang average manager with huge resources. OGS at United has achieved more than Lampard in fairness, United were doggo last year, and top 3 this year.

I hope Lampard keeps their defence as crap as it is next season. They were very mediocre towards the end of the season Pulsic and Giroud carried them over the line. If we were even half competent we would have finished above them.  Hopefully next season teams wont be as forgiving. 

2 hours ago, Walkers said:

Is amusing to watch fans get so irate on social media when their manager hasn't been nominated/won one of these awards. Man Utd fans are seething lol

Probably as much as they were in February when the Twitter mob were baying for Solskjaer's head.

5 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Shakey has gone to Villa apparently. The end of John Terry (unless he's got one the vacant Championship managers posts)?

They're lining up for Nige to take over when Smith gets sacked :ph34r:

34 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Shakey has gone to Villa apparently. The end of John Terry (unless he's got one the vacant Championship managers posts)?

A few teams have two assistant's, so to speak. I'd imagine Shakespeare is more tactics and Terry more defensive.

Can't wait for the Villa H game when he comes out with two balls in hand.

56 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I dont get the Lampard loving he is such a media darling, proper cockney England lad etc etc etc, insufferable. Bang average manager with huge resources. OGS at United has achieved more than Lampard in fairness, United were doggo last year, and top 3 this year.

I hope Lampard keeps their defence as crap as it is next season. They were very mediocre towards the end of the season Pulsic and Giroud carried them over the line. If we were even half competent we would have finished above them.  Hopefully next season teams wont be as forgiving. 

The thing with Lampard is it is widely known that his IQ is mental and is by any measure of intelligence a genius. It was measured at 160 which is well above the Mensa level (135). That coupled with his oblivious knowledge and experience around football he really does have all the tools to succeed and become a world class manager. I can see based on just this why he has been given the opportunities he has.

7 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I wonder how long Smith will get if Villa spend big again?

Maybe Terry will go to Chelsea with Frank .

Would potentially be a poor choice. Terry should stay in and around experienced coaches/managers and Lampard should surround himself with experienced coaches rather than having 2 inexperienced hands at the helm

2 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

nearly Everybody had him down has failing at Chelsea,especially pundits,some Sports writers,this forum....

For me and I have said from the start,he has that hard ,discipline Metal character.....Whether he takes Chelsea to the desired heights remains to be seen...

He Stands no nonsense, and I would of liked B.Rodgers to have been more up Front like Lampard....in team/Player below avg.performances.

IMO One of the best English characters in football...!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

There is absolutely no reason that clubs should fear a FFP breach. It is a joke. May as well not exist. 

Tbf this is the first punishment most clubs receive for such offences. Consistent 

Its total bullshit they have been punished- it relates back to their Championship season. FFP in UEFA’s eyes counts for the last three years. So the year Wolves went up they recorded a significant loss

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

On 30/07/2020 at 15:41, StriderHiryu said:

41m for Ake is a steal considering Maguire went for 80m. I was secretly hoping we would get Ake actually, as he was affordable but you aren't going to beat Man City once they are interested.

The chance was last summer, but the club wouldnt spend.

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

A few teams have two assistant's, so to speak. I'd imagine Shakespeare is more tactics and Terry more defensive.

A good appointment that for Villa, I think at times we have missed Shakey being part of coaching setup. My guess is there was alot of talk towards the end of the season Terry leaving, I reckon he's knows now there could be a few job opportunities in the championship. 

As some have mentioned it's probably vital Smith gets off to good start otherwise could very well see Shakey teaming up with his old pal Nige.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tbf this is the first punishment most clubs receive for such offences. Consistent 

Its total bullshit they have been punished- it relates back to their Championship season. FFP in UEFA’s eyes counts for the last three years. So the year Wolves went up they recorded a significant loss

Spot on. We've basically been punished for getting into Europe too soon. Almost like the cartel has patted us on the head and said "let's not get ahead of yourselves eh?" These accounts aren't for this season either, it's for last season and the two seasons in the Championship before that. 

Istanbul got a similar fine because they've got into Europe sooner than expected as well. 

£600k would be chump change and n any case. We probably made that by getting through to the QFs last night. Breaking even next season shouldn't be too hard given the TV money clubs get. 

Edited by The Bear

Just now, The Bear said:

Spot on. We've basically been punished for getting into Europe too soon. Almost like the cartel has patted us on the head and said "let's not get ahead of yourselves eh?" 

Istanbul got a similar fine because they've got into Europe sooner than expected. 

Still £600k would be chump change. We probably made that by getting through to the QFs last night. Breaking even next season shouldn't be too hard given the TV money clubs get. 

Yep they are also a plastic club with pathetic crowds trumped up by the Turkish president who doesn’t like the Turkish traditional big three because their fans have literally led public riots against him

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

He would have been great but not for the £75m quoted. We just can’t afford to do those sorts of deals

Relegation fire sale price is not exactly market value . The time to buy him would have been in 2017 when he went to Bournemouth and we were Sky Sources linked. If the other guy wants to go that far.

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

I don’t think they wrong to not spend, our first choice centre halves weren’t an issue and at £75m just was never worth it. 

£40m is about right in the market but you don’t turn Man City down for Leicester, of course. 

Yeah I never said it was a wrong decision, Just that's when the chance was there for us.

People argue Bale have won CLs etc. But Ozil has won World Cup and has won multiple (6?) German POTY awards, plus La Liga, FA Cups. Ozil isn't a bum leeching off Arsenal like some want to portray him, and Bale isn't a slave being held against his will either.

I dont care for either player. Both are a financial  burden on their clubs and need to be moved on. 

Edited by Koke
  • Like 1

With Bale his manager has clearly ostracised him from the squad and also in the media. He was all set to leave for China when Real changed the terms of the deal at the last minute. And he's quite rightly told them to do one and has acted accordingly.

I have more sympathy for him than Ozil who could probably get in the Arsenal team if he really wanted to. 

• Like 1