Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

6 minutes ago, Koke said:

People argue Bale have won CLs etc. But Ozil has won World Cup and has won multiple (6?) German POTY awards, plus La Liga, FA Cups. Ozil isn't a bum leeching off Arsenal like some want to portray him, and Bale isn't a slave being held against his will either.

I dont care for either player. Both are a financial  burden on their clubs and need to be moved on. 

Neither are bad players. I think there should be a limit to the amount of pay you can get for kicking a football around though. I get maybe footballers should be paid a bit more due to their short playing career, although anyone with an ounce of charisma will get a pundit job for life afterwards. They will also get more due to it be an incredibly successful high demand entertainment industry. 

Its obscene especially when large numbers of people are losing their jobs that some are earning millions a month.

We're going to win one of the trophies, aren't we?..

Am genuinely sensing next season will be even more successful.

Need to learn from the Bournemouth result, as that type of game seemed to be a team weakness at times last season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Neither are bad players. I think there should be a limit to the amount of pay you can get for kicking a football around though. I get maybe footballers should be paid a bit more due to their short playing career, although anyone with an ounce of charisma will get a pundit job for life afterwards. They will also get more due to it be an incredibly successful high demand entertainment industry. 

Its obscene especially when large numbers of people are losing their jobs that some are earning millions a month.

Exactly. There seems to be a prevailing sympathy for the length of a professional footballers career and their earnings. Like somehow they become unemployable drifters after their career ends. 

They earn vast sums of money, even way down the pyramid, that makes your average earners lifetime income look small. 

Post football they are very employable. People love a footballer. Punditry, journalism, even the average job are all areas that they have a celebrity advantage in. 

Give me a million quid now and I'll be set for life. If they miss-manage their finances during their career it's hard to be massively sympathetic. 

If you listen to some folk they're burdened with massive wages. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shailen said:

Bale has performed for Madrid and I'd even argue more so than Ronaldo in the big big games. His treatment is a little bizarre considering he's got a pretty decent record and not really done much wrong on the pitch. 

I agree. It seems politically motivated and Zidane seems to be behaving like a child considering how good Bale still is. If i was on a fixed contract like him with his club blocking him from other moves abroad then Id probably have his attitude too.

27 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

We're going to win one of the trophies, aren't we?..

Am genuinely sensing next season will be even more successful.

Need to learn from the Bournemouth result, as that type of game seemed to be a team weakness at times last season.

We lost to Norwich Bournemouth... drew late with Watford.... and villa put us out of the league cup ...  if we were consistent we would walk these games .  That must be our goal

21 hours ago, Koke said:

People argue Bale have won CLs etc. But Ozil has won World Cup and has won multiple (6?) German POTY awards, plus La Liga, FA Cups. Ozil isn't a bum leeching off Arsenal like some want to portray him, and Bale isn't a slave being held against his will either.

I dont care for either player. Both are a financial  burden on their clubs and need to be moved on. 

Sorry but this is ****ing shit. 

Bale absolutely is being held against his will, he agreed a deal to move to China last year in a deal that would have made him the highest paid player on the planet and Real Madrid torpedoed the deal. 

He's been ****ing disgustingly treated from the moment he got there. 

• Like 4

Have slight sympathy for Newcastle fans after the collapse of the Arab takeover, and still having Ashley running their club.

Bruce has done better than I thought he'd do up there.

Without Saint-Maximin, reckon they'd have been very close to relegation.

He's made a massive impact up there, and wouldn't be surprised if he'll use them as a 'stepping-stone' to go to another club with higher ambitions.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Exactly. There seems to be a prevailing sympathy for the length of a professional footballers career and their earnings. Like somehow they become unemployable drifters after their career ends. 

They earn vast sums of money, even way down the pyramid, that makes your average earners lifetime income look small. 

Post football they are very employable. People love a footballer. Punditry, journalism, even the average job are all areas that they have a celebrity advantage in. 

Give me a million quid now and I'll be set for life. If they miss-manage their finances during their career it's hard to be massively sympathetic. 

If you listen to some folk they're burdened with massive wages. 

Yes since the turn of the 90s Top PL und Top Championship players,Plus Europe clubs Equivalent have earned 100ks more than Mr Avg on the streets..I

Financially I have little or  no sympathy for most....Our World cup winners 'generation' is a different story..

Ozil is a fascinating case. Seems like he was most recently ostracized by Arteta for not taking a pay cut like the rest of the squad during the pandemic.

Apparently he wasn't unwilling though, he just wanted proof of what would be done with the funds saved to keep other staff in jobs. Arsenal wouldn't give that to him...and now they've let 55 staff go.

Kind of feels like he was proved right.

19 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Ozil is a fascinating case. Seems like he was most recently ostracized by Arteta for not taking a pay cut like the rest of the squad during the pandemic.

Apparently he wasn't unwilling though, he just wanted proof of what would be done with the funds saved to keep other staff in jobs. Arsenal wouldn't give that to him...and now they've let 55 staff go.

Kind of feels like he was proved right.

I’m never one for criticising how much footballers earn. They create wealth through their talent and are rewarded with a slice of the wealth.

However surely arsenal could argue that they had to let the 55 go because Ozil and a couple others didn’t take pay cuts.

2 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I’m never one for criticising how much footballers earn. They create wealth through their talent and are rewarded with a slice of the wealth.

However surely arsenal could argue that they had to let the 55 go because Ozil and a couple others didn’t take pay cuts.

Maybe. But it seems unlikely that, given those let go were on £30k pa each, let's say, the majority of a 25 man squad taking pay it's didn't save them enough money to retain the jobs. They're spending out on transfers this summer too, so how can they justify that?

Premier League 2020/21 season can be completed with ‘half the matches’ under new plans
Premier League officials will propose plans to the top-flight clubs that could see the season completed with ‘half the matches’ amid concerns of a second Covid-19 wave

ByWarren MuggletonSport Reporter
08:14, 9 AUG 2020

Premier League organisers have suggested the 2020/21 season can be completed with “half the matches” in new plans.

Top-flight clubs are preparing for the new campaign to begin in September after discussions between shareholders last month.

The last campaign was suspended for three months due to Covid-19 – and it could still hit the next season, with fears of a second wave in Britain.

But the Standard has revealed how top-flight organisers are already preparing contingency plans for the 2020/21 campaign.

Proposals for the new term have seen the top-flight already pass the threshold for the season to be considered valid.

But a new meeting next week will see a plan proposed to see final placings decided by points per game if “50 per cent or more of all scheduled fixtures have been played”.

And it would see the title, European qualification and relegation all decided on this basis.

Premier League organisers would need a majority vote of of 70 per cent to get the plan across, with 14 of the 20 clubs voting for the “curtailment”.

But these implications would be scrapped if the 50 per-cent mark of fixtures, playing 18 or less games.

And top-flight administrators would contact UEFA to decide which clubs would qualify for Champions League and Europa League football.

The Premier League clubs will meet next week to discuss the proposal, with the aim of setting up a response at a meeting on September 3.

Organisers have already voted on rules for the new season at the Annual General Meeting earlier this week.

The number of substitutes was return to three, having been put at five since lockdown to help teams deal with fitness problems.

While VAR will get a new Referee Review Ares, which will see an increase in match officials using the pitch side monitor.

It will see subjective decisions such as red cards and penalties under review more often.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-202021-season-can-22491962

53 minutes ago, davieG said:

Premier League 2020/21 season can be completed with ‘half the matches’ under new plans
Premier League officials will propose plans to the top-flight clubs that could see the season completed with ‘half the matches’ amid concerns of a second Covid-19 wave

ByWarren MuggletonSport Reporter
08:14, 9 AUG 2020

Premier League organisers have suggested the 2020/21 season can be completed with “half the matches” in new plans.

Top-flight clubs are preparing for the new campaign to begin in September after discussions between shareholders last month.

The last campaign was suspended for three months due to Covid-19 – and it could still hit the next season, with fears of a second wave in Britain.

But the Standard has revealed how top-flight organisers are already preparing contingency plans for the 2020/21 campaign.

Proposals for the new term have seen the top-flight already pass the threshold for the season to be considered valid.

But a new meeting next week will see a plan proposed to see final placings decided by points per game if “50 per cent or more of all scheduled fixtures have been played”.

And it would see the title, European qualification and relegation all decided on this basis.

Premier League organisers would need a majority vote of of 70 per cent to get the plan across, with 14 of the 20 clubs voting for the “curtailment”.

But these implications would be scrapped if the 50 per-cent mark of fixtures, playing 18 or less games.

And top-flight administrators would contact UEFA to decide which clubs would qualify for Champions League and Europa League football.

The Premier League clubs will meet next week to discuss the proposal, with the aim of setting up a response at a meeting on September 3.

Organisers have already voted on rules for the new season at the Annual General Meeting earlier this week.

The number of substitutes was return to three, having been put at five since lockdown to help teams deal with fitness problems.

While VAR will get a new Referee Review Ares, which will see an increase in match officials using the pitch side monitor.

It will see subjective decisions such as red cards and penalties under review more often.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-202021-season-can-22491962

We best hit the ground running then, another half of a season like recent months and we'll be in a relegation battle. NULL AND VOID.

3 hours ago, CloudFox said:

Maybe. But it seems unlikely that, given those let go were on £30k pa each, let's say, the majority of a 25 man squad taking pay it's didn't save them enough money to retain the jobs. They're spending out on transfers this summer too, so how can they justify that?

Oh yeah it’s a total disgrace what arsenal have done and cant be justified. Was just putting across the counter argument.

5 minutes ago, Domsdad said:

Leeds?

DEA45992-6082-431D-A3D6-1131497E4920.jpeg

Unknown qty - bit like sheff u this season ..... with the momentum they have, could well be top ten and sixth downwards is possibly ‘picked out of a hat’ .....

add the possibility of a curtailed season once half the games are completed and that adds to their chances of a high finish ..... hence their odds 

3 hours ago, Domsdad said:

Leeds?

DEA45992-6082-431D-A3D6-1131497E4920.jpeg

Most likely, that’s just Leeds’ deluded fans deciding it’s 2000 all over again, and enough lumping on to shorten the odds.

Who else would think 150-1 was a good price on them to win the Prem?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Unknown qty - bit like sheff u this season ..... with the momentum they have, could well be top ten and sixth downwards is possibly ‘picked out of a hat’ .....

add the possibility of a curtailed season once half the games are completed and that adds to their chances of a high finish ..... hence their odds 

I can see them finishing top 10. Nowhere near top 4. That's people clinging to their name only.

Most promoted sides are "unknown qty" and a lot go straight back down. I'm not counting Wolves because they were spending millions on good players from Europe when they were in the Championship.