Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It would be fair enough if they start throwing some cash around but right now the media are planting their nose firmly up their bottom cheeks based on Bielsa and the fact they have an impressive history more than 30-40 years ago.

Their current squad may well be enough to finish top half at a push but even using Wolves first season as an example is wide of the mark. Wolves had recruited some exceptional talent both whilst in the Championship and then in the summer, so until Leeds do that then they are nothing out of the ordinary.

Typical bias from a tedious media.

Wolves had a Premiership squad in the championship to be fair. Almost all of us raised an eyebrow when Neves went there it was nuts and they've reinforced it well since promotion. They're a really decent side. 

Leeds have a very championship squad lead by a madcap manager with no real track record of putting down roots anywhere for time. 

It always blows up and the scrutiny of the Premier league will be one of the most focused microscopes he's ever been under. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Wolves had a Premiership squad in the championship to be fair. Almost all of us raised an eyebrow when Neves went there it was nuts and they've reinforced it well since promotion. They're a really decent side. 

Leeds have a very championship squad lead by a madcap manager with no real track record of putting down roots anywhere for time. 

It always blows up and the scrutiny of the Premier league will be one of the most focused microscopes he's ever been under. 

Agreed. Leeds have been impressive under Bielsa but equally can be found out and exposed, they need a lot of extra quality to make that serious step up and as we have seen bringing too many players in at once can actually be detrimental. I think they're top 10 at the very best and thats if they get a very good striker and a couple of defenders.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed. Leeds have been impressive under Bielsa but equally can be found out and exposed, they need a lot of extra quality to make that serious step up and as we have seen bringing too many players in at once can actually be detrimental. I think they're top 10 at the very best and thats if they get a very good striker and a couple of defenders.

I can see it blowing up and him leaving before the end of the year tbh. He's already been there about as long as he's ever been at a club. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

When are the fixtures out ?  

hopefully our first  game can be one of Man City, wolves or yanited so we can get an extra week off and by the time that game is re arranged we have more players available re chilly and Ricky 

If the 2 Mancs, Chelski & Wolves are starting perhaps 2 fixtures later than everyone else, then the sensible thing would surely be to have them playing each other thus leaving the other 16 teams to play on the scheduled dates. But I suppose it will all depend on TV as usual

14 hours ago, Koke said:

I agree with this tweet. If Chelsea are planing on signing defenders and defensive midfielders and a goal keeoer then they will end spending over £250m. If not, then I can see a lot of pain for them next season 

And Lampard will again Knock the Amateure & Profi incompetent cynics back into their loud mouth holes....I

Every season...This team from the Top 6, doesn't have "this Player or that player", their Defence can be got at...!!!

But every season the blind Keep waffling on, & on & on.....!!!!   And the top 6 Keep rolling on......

Its like watching "Eggheads"....once in awhile they slip & kanter....but when it counts reliable form & Quality wins outs....

Oh..  I dont like Chelsea as a club. But I respect they have quality running through their club & squad,where weakness are Offset then by others quality.

The same for Manutd....Plus both have 2 young Good serving managers who have higher probable potential...

That depth in squad  quality and the traditional Cache of youth is underestimated every season......

One reason ex-player pundits are disliked..is their Projection of reminding us on every sitting Panel of that fact..!! Never directly but insinuations....

Like it or not their all round Quality and ingrained mental discipline is better....Therefore their mistakes and Slip ups more enjoyable....

Thats Why the Wolves, and the Leicesters ( and from some areas..Yes The Spurs) are enjoyed by the neutrals...

5 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

And Lampard will again Knock the Amateure & Profi incompetent cynics back into their loud mouth holes....I

Every season...This team from the Top 6, doesn't have "this Player or that player", their Defence can be got at...!!!

But every season the blind Keep waffling on, & on & on.....!!!!   And the top 6 Keep rolling on......

Its like watching "Eggheads"....once in awhile they slip & kanter....but when it counts reliable form & Quality wins outs....

Oh..  I dont like Chelsea as a club. But I respect they have quality running through their club & squad,where weakness are Offset then by others quality.

The same for Manutd....Plus both have 2 young Good serving managers who have higher probable potential...

That depth in squad  quality and the traditional Cache of youth is underestimated every season......

One reason ex-player pundits are disliked..is their Projection of reminding us on every sitting Panel of that fact..!! Never directly but insinuations....

Like it or not their all round Quality and ingrained mental discipline is better....Therefore their mistakes and Slip ups more enjoyable....

Thats Why the Wolves, and the Leicesters ( and from some areas..Yes The Spurs) are enjoyed by the neutrals...

I don't think anyone (or certainly the tweet) is suggesting that they won't finish in the top 6. Just that they are looking very short at the back and without investment there they might struggle to challenge for the title. 

Leeds didnt even storm a very poor Championship. Without big investments I can see anything other than a relegation battle. If they got 100 points and were miles ahead I could understand but they stumbled just ahead of a West Brom and Brentford side who were falling over each other on who could get the shittest result towards the end!

54 minutes ago, BrummieFOX said:

I don't think anyone (or certainly the tweet) is suggesting that they won't finish in the top 6. Just that they are looking very short at the back and without investment there they might struggle to challenge for the title. 

Both Lampard and Solkjaer,Plus clubs have been criticised in future potential,from all corners....

That in itself is in itself Acceptable Football tittle tattle,

but maybe it would be afair expectations that cynical Critics also admit their own false judgement....

Splitting hairs over title & Top 4 & mentioning "struggle"....Deserves kick-back...

Edited by fuchsntf

I can see Leeds storming off to a start of like six wins from the first 10 games or something. Everyone is amazed, impressed. Europe for Leeds? Could they even sneak into the top four?

Cue April 2021, where they've won about four games since that epic start and they're down in 17th place battling to survive.

I'm going against the grain here but I'm pleased Leeds are back in the top flight. I'm biased as I lived up there for a few years but their fans are so passionate and what happened at that club was an absolute disgrace. They're a team everyone loves to hate and I would much rather see a club like Leeds in the Premier League than a nothing club like Bournemouth. 

Chelsea will comfortably be top 6 again but I imagine the board and owner will be looking at what they’ve spent, and the calibre of player they’ve brought in expecting to at least challenge the top 2. Not sure Lampard is the man for that but we’ll see I guess 

It’ll be between Man City and Liverpool again, I am in no doubt about that. 

Liverpool’s entire side are hitting their peak (around 27-29) and they’ll be even more in tune with each other next year. No reason at all they can’t get 90+ points for a third season in a row 

Man City is slightly different, losing Kompany and Silva in consecutive seasons and Fernandinho being 35. Ake is a good player but is he a premier league/champions league winning player? I guess we’ll see. Interesting to see who else they buy this summer

As others have said I do not know what the recruitment plan is at Chelsea but what the **** is going on there?? They’ve spent big in areas they don’t really need yet have a mid table back 5 (exc Azpilicueta) 

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Manchester United had a massive helping hand from all corners in 19/20 without a shadow of any doubt, but they had that for years under Fergie too. You make your own luck at times, even if they did have it in spades and some of it was very dubious, who’s to say they won’t get a similar amount of pens/decisions etc. go for them next season? 

I do think they’re on an upwards trajectory now and will be back challenging for titles in a few years, most likely falling short in the first few attempts as work still needs to be done to their squad in some areas, but I’m expecting them to improve next season and be the third best side in the country. 

Fair enough. You'd expect they will still get more decisions than most, but with the tweaks being made to VAR, Fernandes now being a known quantity, and (hopefully) no 3 month shutdown, you would hope Solskjaer will be exposed again as he was last season.

Personally I think both Chelsea and Spurs stand a good chance of finishing above them next season so they'll have a fight on again to get in the top 4. And as I've said getting top 4 shouldn't even be part of the conversation if you're Man United.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Leeds were v impressive at arsenal in the fa cup (could have been last season) but once arsenal made some tactical changes it was different 

if teams take Leeds too lightly then they will come unstuck but good preparation should lead to a decent outcome against them 

Yep. People were going on about that performance at the time but a one off cup game is totally different to a league game.

34 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

If Jadon Sancho goes to United then I think they’ll be in the mix and potentially make it a 3 way race. I very much doubt they’ll come out on top, but will certainly put some pressure on Liverpool and Man City if they get that deal over the line. 

Still some question marks over centre half and holding midfield for them, but we saw what they can do with all their attacking players fit and when they’re at their best. Obviously still a big if for them with fitness and depth, but I wouldn’t rule them out of making a good fist of it next season. 

I thought about Man United but then I thought if I was to do a best of team of last seasons top 4, it’d be entirely made up of Liverpool and Man City players

No doubt they improved but the top 2 are in another galaxy to the chasing pack still imo 

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Man Utd aren't far off having the squad to compete but I'm still not having Solskjaer as a manager, absolute clown. 

29 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Bloke's a complete prat and a crook to boot. He's incredibly lucky.

These words don't do him justice. He's a proper scumbag. Him and his agent signed an alleged rapist at Molde, made him captain, stopped fans protesting, then shielded him from the authorities and helped him escape Interpol after 4 more allegations whilst at the club. He has another one since.

https://thefootballdugout.com/2020/02/18/how-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-protected-a-rapist/

• Like 2