Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can anyone tell me at what point people will stop praising Brighton for the supposed good football they play and actually interrogate how bad they are at getting results? Yet another club that has spent a lot of money and seem to recruit some classy youngsters too and yet their tactical nous to become a half decent team in this league is dog shit.

IMO they don't recruit very well.  They are actually in the "Big Six" when it comes to net spend.

the 20 current Premier League clubs by their net spend over the past five years.

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
8. Bournemouth – £176.95m
9. Aston Villa – £166.65m
10. Watford – £125.69m
11. Leicester City – £124.83m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
16. Crystal Palace – £75.69m
17. Burnley – £59.4m
18. Sheffield United – £56.71m
19. Southampton – £22.32m
20. Norwich City – £25.42m profit

source: planetfootball.com, 8 June 2020

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingsX said:

IMO they don't recruit very well.  They are actually in the "Big Six" when it comes to net spend.

the 20 current Premier League clubs by their net spend over the past five years.

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
10. Watford – £125.69m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
17. Burnley – £59.4m

I always find ‘net spend’ to be a bit of a a cop out. Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and to some extent us can dine out for years on selling one or two massively expensive players, whilst spending hundreds of millions more than anyone.

Just now, Phube said:

I always find ‘net spend’ to be a bit of a a cop out. Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and to some extent us can dine out for years on selling one or two massively expensive players, whilst spending hundreds of millions more than anyone.

OK, but part of the point is, Brighton spend like us, but rarely recruit players who can be moved on for a large profit.  And net spend reflects that.

5 minutes ago, KingsX said:

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
10. Watford – £125.69m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
17. Burnley – £59.4m

The thing is, they've not had the benefit of any bigger teams wanting their players to offset their transfer spend. It is high and it surprises me but like some new PL teams with a low starting wage bill and £100-150m armed at their disposal it is easy and usually needed to go and blow £75-100m a few seasons on the spin to try and compete.

Maupay, Lamptey, Trossard and Ryan have been shrewd signings. Wasted a lot on some players that flopped though.

11 minutes ago, Phube said:

Are Brighton just really unlucky this season... just not managing to get the wins?

It’s an odd one because they do seem to have quality. Just can’t get results, I’m sure a decent manager would get them going. 

There issue seems to be they lack a truly classy number 9. we’d be a similar club without Vardy 

You can play the best football all day but if you haven’t got a ruthless striker to put the chances away you will never hit a high level 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

We can't wholly blame VAR for that but it certainly did help them along the way.

That decision they got at Villa was one of the most insane decisions of the VAR era of football...

Was that the one where Fernandes tried a fancy turn in the box with the ball, trod on the defenders foot, fell over and got awarded the penalty? Then ole afterwards said that if defenders Get in the way when an attacker is pulling off a Trick move then it should be a peno.

Aside from scummy spurs I've always liked brighten but they've changed their game quite quickly over the last year from hoofing it a lot to playing nearly all ball to floor. Some of their players especially defence and out wide get it played into them when they have no passing options and they're having to wriggle through passes to avoid it getting taken off them. Watching them this season it's like their style has changed very quickly. 

57 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can anyone tell me at what point people will stop praising Brighton for the supposed good football they play and actually interrogate how bad they are at getting results? Yet another club that has spent a lot of money and seem to recruit some classy youngsters too and yet their tactical nous to become a half decent team in this league is dog shit.

I don't think other fans and the press/ TV are particularly bothered how they do.

Plus playing good football and not winning many games makes them generally decent opposition. 

1 hour ago, 1964w said:

Was a foul imo!

I thought the player got the ball, it actually changed direction and the player went over, on the channel I was watching they couldn’t believe the decision and said it was a stick on foul. I know there’s an element know that if you take the player as well they call a foul so I can understand it could have gone either way but wasn’t stick on 

8 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Was that the one where Fernandes tried a fancy turn in the box with the ball, trod on the defenders foot, fell over and got awarded the penalty? Then ole afterwards said that if defenders Get in the way when an attacker is pulling off a Trick move then it should be a peno.

Yep!

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Just the new Bournemouth. The press have to have a "little" club to fawn over patronisingly about how they're trying their best to play "proper" football. 

Before Bournemouth it was Swansea. 

• Like 4