Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

21 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Only 2 weeks from the start of the new season and hearing lots of PL

players have tested positive for COVID 19.  Paul Pogba being the latest, hot to put the season start in doubt.

I Have long believed that there is a strata of society inhabited by footballers - their own car providers,  bitchphones, hookers, restaurants, clubs, holidays places etc. They mingle and mingle.  Boris should impose a lockdown

16 hours ago, The Bear said:

He isn't. He's a poor RB who gets caught out a lot defensively. 

He works well at RWB where he can concentrate on going forwards. I'm a little bit annoyed that he'll be going for less than £20m though. Only TAA has a better goal/assist output than him over the last two seasons, and he still has three years left on his contract. But then again he's nearing 30 and he's someone we've been looking to upgrade since we got back in the Prem. 

He absolutely won't be much good as a RB at Spurs, I guarantee you that. 

39 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Wolves' Matt Doherty is now a Spurs player. 

Be interesting to hear how @The Bear feels on that one, personally think it's good business letting him go and replacing with Ainsley Maitland-Niles for similar fees.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Sheffield United are part of my bet to drop, along with Palace and Leeds. Then again West Brom and Fulham are unknown quantities, and Villa were awful last term. Could be any 3 of those 6 in my eyes; Burnley's squad isn't far from being over the hill, but they done very well last year and think they'll have enough to stay up (unfortunately)

Palace and Newcastle I reckon. Both have awful ageing squads and past it managers.

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I just get the feeling Newcastle will shithouse it like this season again and be alright, they desperately need someone who can put the ball in the back of the net though or they'll be involved down there.

They were dogshit last season and really fortunate to be clear of relegation all season. Their over performance doesn’t look repeatable to me

Newcastle desperately need someone to put the ball in the net, unless Joelinton is suddenly going to start firing. With him scoring twice I think, and their top league scorer being Shelvey with 6, its not sustainable. They only scored 38 last season. 

Palace are worse, scoring 31, they'll go down too of that carries on.

29 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I've thought Palace will be in trouble for last 2 or 3 seasons but they always do enough. Usually based on one decent run per season. They can't keep being so crap at home and score so few goals though.

Eze is a good signing for them. I thought we might look at him. 

33 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Newcastle desperately need someone to put the ball in the net, unless Joelinton is suddenly going to start firing. With him scoring twice I think, and their top league scorer being Shelvey with 6, its not sustainable. They only scored 38 last season. 

Palace are worse, scoring 31, they'll go down too of that carries on.

I think saint-maximin will have a really good season which will help and almiron also seems to be stepping up now. But I agree with the need of a striker. What always amazed me was that they didn't use Gayle more, he may not be the best but he'll certainly chip in with more goals than Joelinton or Carrol. I think they will just about be fine but only because there are 3 teams worse rather than them being decent. 

22 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I agree. Im fed up of them trying soo hard to put BAME and women to tick a box. Id rather listen to ex pro's than someone just in a job because of their sex or race.

Who would you rather listen to talk about football; Julian Nagelsmann or Paul Merson? 

• Like 1

One last thing on this. I've no idea why people give so much credibility to ex pros. Yes they can give good insight from a player perspective but if I made a liste of people in football I enjoy listening to there probably wouldn't be any ex pros on it. Guys like Gab Marcotti، Sid Lowe, Sacha Goryunov, James Horncastle are so much more measured, insightful and provide good opinions. Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage have had long solid careers in the top flight but their opinions/analyse are absolutely garbage.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Wolves' Matt Doherty is now a Spurs player. 

Be interesting to hear how @The Bear feels on that one, personally think it's good business letting him go and replacing with Ainsley Maitland-Niles for similar fees.

wHy DoN't wOlvEs LoSe ThEir PlAyeRs.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

One last thing on this. I've no idea why people give so much credibility to ex pros. Yes they can give good insight from a player perspective but if I made a liste of people in football I enjoy listening to there probably wouldn't be any ex pros on it. Guys like Gab Marcotti، Sid Lowe, Sacha Goryunov, James Horncastle are so much more measured, insightful and provide good opinions. Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage have had long solid careers in the top flight but their opinions/analyse are absolutely garbage.

To play the game at a high level is you need a combination of the athletic/physical ability as well as some mental ability to understand the game. There are plenty of people who will have the mental capacity to understand the game better than 90% of ex pros but just didn't have the physical ability to play the game. I reckon they just use ex pros for the celebrity factor even if it means that what they are saying is as you say, garbage. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I've thought Palace will be in trouble for last 2 or 3 seasons but they always do enough. Usually based on one decent run per season. They can't keep being so crap at home and score so few goals though.

Hodgson isn't bad at that sort of club. I can't see them going down under him. It's the goalscoring issues but they've signed Eze.

4 minutes ago, Koke said:

Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage have had long solid careers in the top flight but their opinions/analyse are absolutely garbage.

Sutton, Savage and Merson aren't chosen for their football opinion. They are chosen because they generate clicks and comments with their stupid comments. It's as simple as that. 

I'd rather none of them were on there, but we live in a world where click bait nobbers like Stringer get advanced beyond their ability. 

The Sky panel was past its sell by date, but they should choose people based on their ability to add to the discussion and not their sex or skin colour, or ability to be controversial. That won't happen though, I just pray they don't give Clinton Morrison any more air time. He's like a black Paul Merson and can hardly string a sentence together. 

• Like 1

Just now, Babylon said:

Sutton, Savage and Merson aren't chosen for their football opinion. They are chosen because they generate clicks and comments with their stupid comments. It's as simple as that. 

I'd rather none of them were on there, but we live in a world where click bait nobbers like Stringer get advanced beyond their ability. 

The Sky panel was past its sell by date, but they should choose people based on their ability to add to the discussion and not their sex or skin colour, or ability to be controversial. That won't happen though, I just pray they don't give Clinton Morrison any more air time. He's like a black Paul Merson and can hardly string a sentence together. 

Look, here's a guy who gets it!

Its all about views and clicks and engagement. It isn't and has never been about insight on the major 'entertainment' channels.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I agree with all that. But for people saying hiring Clinton Morrison is to "tick a box" then what do thdy call hiring Paul Merson? Nobody has ever called Merson/ Sutton/Savage "PC gone mad!!11!!" But god forbid Alex Scott gets airtime and their hair is on fire.

And i agree Clinton Morrison is vod awful. 

Edited by Koke

Being able to point out when someone has said something they shouldn't is important on a forum, as if enough people say it it might stop that person from acting that way again. Deleting it just acts like nothing happened. 

.. see how long that one lasts! lol 

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Being able to point out when someone has said something they shouldn't is important on a forum, as if enough people say it it might stop that person from acting that way again. Deleting it just acts like nothing happened. 

.. see how long that one lasts! lol 

Strange that the original comment i responded to is still up lol but oh well....

• Like 1

They should bring Beagrie back. Our fans loved him.

PETER BEAGRIE, YOU'RE A willy puller  loud and clear at Watford on Deeney Day when he was standing a few yards away. Chris Powell gave us a knowing grin.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

I agree with all that. But for people saying hiring Clinton Morrison is to "tick a box" then what do thdy call hiring Paul Merson? Nobody has ever called Merson/ Sutton/Savage "PC gone mad!!11!!" But god forbid Alex Scott gets airtime and their hair is on fire.

And i agree Clinton Morrison is vod awful. 

The panel shouldn't be all white if they can help it, because it's not representative of the modern game. So they should try and get a mixed group on there, that's what every team is now. That includes more foreign panelists. 

Let's bring people on who can add something different to the debate other than a group of 50+ British blokes. But don't do it for the sake of doing it, don't choose any old person and think they've done their bit, get good panelists. If they are good no normal person will care. 

• Like 1