Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

On 26/08/2020 at 17:33, Footballwipe said:

Let's see him tone his rants and joining in with the old lads club in future then, and have him stick to the brilliant, excitable presenter full of knowledge back in the day 

He really has gone old man yelling at clouds in recent years. Maybe it's nostalgia alone but when they had the likes of Rodney Marsh, George Best, Frank McLintock on the show Stelling was far less shouty and ranting whilst still ribbing the guests.

He's a fine presenter and I hope he doesn't waste his final years in the job being this type of act.

• Like 1

How's this gonna work then when players have got COVID? Pogba will have to quarantine for 2 weeks now, will games be delayed or is it tough luck if teams lose 3 or 4 players? It's only gonna take one player to catch it to spread it to the rest of the squad, they're not exactly living in bubbles like they were just after lockdown.

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

How's this gonna work then when players have got COVID? Pogba will have to quarantine for 2 weeks now, will games be delayed or is it tough luck if teams lose 3 or 4 players? It's only gonna take one player to catch it to spread it to the rest of the squad, they're not exactly living in bubbles like they were just after lockdown.

Was just thinking the same, I'd imagine there will be some sort of threshold to decide whether games can go ahead otherwise we could see teams putting a reserve/youth 11 out and that's not what anyone wants.

3PM blackout could be lifted until end of 20/21 season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8671095/Every-Premier-League-match-televised-season-3pm-blackout-lifted.html

'The report details that the 3pm blackout will remain lifted until supporters come back into stadiums, and could extend until full crowds are permitted into grounds. '

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Tough luck so should go ahead. Can't be cancelling too many games unless several players test positive. Will just clog up the schedule even more having to rearrange games. Everyone has a 25-man squad and every PL side has an academy side to call upon. 

40 minutes ago, Corky said:

He really has gone old man yelling at clouds in recent years. Maybe it's nostalgia alone but when they had the likes of Rodney Marsh, George Best, Frank McLintock on the show Stelling was far less shouty and ranting whilst still ribbing the guests.

He's a fine presenter and I hope he doesn't waste his final years in the job being this type of act.

I can see where you’re coming from, but when sitting at home watching it, Stelling does bring the viewer a feeling of being involved. If it was post-match analysis, I’d not have any of them, but they bring a match day vibe to the viewer, IMO. Maybe that’s because it’s become the norm, but Soccer Saturday is enjoyable. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

3PM blackout could be lifted until end of 20/21 season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8671095/Every-Premier-League-match-televised-season-3pm-blackout-lifted.html

'The report details that the 3pm blackout will remain lifted until supporters come back into stadiums, and could extend until full crowds are permitted into grounds. '

Easier answer to this - whilst there’s no fans just don’t play PL games at Saturday 3. 

Reading Twitter today is like a repeat of here. Chelsea, Man U and Newcastle fans moaning about players who are having to self isolate. Wolves fans annoyed about a lack of signings 

What are people's views on Messi to Man City. I think he'll shine individually as he's too good a player not to but it will have an impact on Man City imo. They are a team full of great players but they all buy into a certain system of working hard, high press and being disciplined in defence. No doubt that changed if Messi arrives.

2 minutes ago, shailen said:

What are people's views on Messi to Man City. I think he'll shine individually as he's too good a player not to but it will have an impact on Man City imo. They are a team full of great players but they all buy into a certain system of working hard, high press and being disciplined in defence. No doubt that changed if Messi arrives.

If he signs then I’ll lose a lot of love for football really 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, shailen said:

Why would that change? Messi is a real team player and is used to playing how Man City play. 

5 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Why would that change? Messi is a real team player and is used to playing how Man City play. 

I don't get this team player notion. Yes he doesn't shoot at every opportunity but teams are built around him. Everyone else does the dirty work for him and he's quite rightly allowed to have a free role and play how he wants. 

Man City don't play the same way as Barcelona. Messi will either play as a false nine or on the right. Guardiola likes his wingers to virtually touch the line so Messi will lose his influence if he plays there and if he plays as a false 9, Man City lose their presence up front given the amount of tap ins that Aguero or Jesus get. He will no doubt change something to get Messi in.

Barcelona were all about tiki taka, which was literally keep the ball until the opposition tire. Messi would then turn it on in spells when they've had the ball for a long spell and run through the oppositions tiring defence to create something or score. Man City are more about building from the back, finding spaces and exploiting them at pace. No doubt Messi will do well even then, but I don't think he's suited to that style of play. 

• Like 1

Harry Maguire went to Greece 

He tried to bribe the Greek police 

He got knocked out by a Leicester fan

And off he went in a back of a van

He said to them do you know who I am 

They replied yes you was in that scam 

Eighty million down the drain

Leicester’s taking the piss again

Der der der der der der der der

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Wasn't there examples in France and Scotland where games were cancelled once a certain amount of positive tests were returned for one club, like 6 or 7?

To an extent, tough luck. But at some point there has to be a postponement.

3 hours ago, shailen said:

I honestly can’t see how any football team in the world governed by FPP can afford him?

His reported basic wage at Barca is 800k a week. Even if he takes a 75% wage cut it rules out all but 3 or 4 teams in the world.

Madness.

22 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

I honestly can’t see how any football team in the world governed by FPP can afford him?

His reported basic wage at Barca is 800k a week. Even if he takes a 75% wage cut it rules out all but 3 or 4 teams in the world.

Madness.

Its a good point. Not sure how it gets through FFP if he signs for anyone on the same wages, but if anyone can get past it then it has to be Man City. 

Wouldn't Man City just sell someone like Jesus or Mahrez and the transfer fee and saved wages would cover Messi's wages for 2 or 3 years? I'm assuming he'll have to accept a pay cut though, wouldn't be on 800k a week here that's for sure. This assumes they'll get him for free from Barca as they think the can.

Still can't see him coming though, one big ploy to get the board out and ensure they invest in the squad and get rid of the old past it players.

Messi will demand £1m a week minimum I'd imagine but that would be well worth it in what the club would get in return. He could sign for a club, get injured for 2 years and it probably would still be a good deal for the club.  Just imagine the shirt sales and new band of plastics!

Personally I'd love to see him at Juve with Ronaldo but whether they could ever arrange having the two of them is a tough one.  

• Like 1