Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
champselect

League position with current squad?

Personally I think it was a massive mess up not finishing top 4 from the position we were in at christmas and even down to the last game against Man U where we set up to defensive!

With our current squad I think 7 or 8th at best, all the other teams will be stronger next season, hopefully we will be making some new signings before the season kicks off, but i still don't think we will have a better chance of a top 4 finish than we have just had!

• Like 1

Top half, in or around the Europa spots. Need to sort the depth at Centre-Back, because ultimately having to play such a static and aging backline cost us Champions League in the end.

Going forward, we're fine - based on this season, I'm happy with Iheanacho as second choice striker if he's content with his role - his turnaround under Rodgers has been pretty remarkable. Vards just got the golden boot and for me still has at least one, if not two 15+ goal seasons left in him in the Premier League. Next summer is the time to shop for a successor for me.

A small part of me does want us to sign a proper nasty b*stard in midfield to give us an extra bit of grit, but that would likely be at the expense of Wilf who is practically the first name on our teamsheet unless we change our shape. We're too nice though. That comes with the youthful look of the squad, but we're missing a Huth / Was type somewhere in that squad to put a bit of intimidation into our pressing play. At a push, Hamza could become that player, but he's not intimidating, just occasionally reckless with his tackling.

Dilemmas abound! But honestly, our squad is still in great shape in spite of the disappointing run we had after New Year's. 

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

One of the biggest issues we will have, that i dont see discussed, is the motivation to do it all again. It was a massive part of why we failed so badly after the title winning season. The motivation to go for top 6 was nothing like what it was the year before, and players were on bigger wages.

If we are aiming for 6th or 7th whilst lingering mid table, i can't see it meaning as much to us as it does to a Southampton or Leeds. 

Not to mention the bigger names will have already got their agents orchestrating moves away.

To stand still is to fall behind. We need to constantly refresh. A few new players in the dressing room or the XI will do that. We can't expect the same results or better results doing the same as before. Considering our torrid 2nd half, I consider it even more important.

With our current squad: not top 7

Even with a refresh: hopefully another European season.

• Like 1

...mid table for me, .....EL will drain us for the PL and the performances since Christmas show little grounds for optimism... and with little or no home support for a large part of the season there is not a 12th man to galvanise the players either.  

• Like 1

If all remained fit and the Premiership was made the absolute priority, I still believe that we have a very talented young team compared with most rivals. If Rodgers can learn from some of his tactical mistakes and egotistical micromanaging then top 6 should be entirely possible. Our demise from since before Christmas was as much down to the manager as well as the injuries etc which came much later on. Many other managers would give their right arm to have the squad we have. Rodgers for me needs to step up and prove himself. If he fails here he's done for for another regarding another crack at the big time and needs to recognise that. He was lucky to get this job and we shouldn't think we were punching above our weight to get him. He was an untouchable before he went to Celtic and his achievements there should be expected and not lauded over. Time for him to step up and cut the blarney. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

Think its dependant on how the other so called top sides do this season. Man United are gonna spend a load of money. Chelsea already have and Liverpool and man City are miles ahead. Arsenal and spurs surely can't be as bad as last season too. I reckon we will be about 7th ish.