Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

On The TV 20/21

I want to watch the Leicester games.  I earn less in a year than players do in a week.  I already pay a Sky subscription.  On principle , I don't think I can pay.

In other news, the right wing, capitalist  government are making it illegal for schools to be critical of capitalism.   Charles Dickens, JB Priestley and Willy Russell could all face long bans.

The £15 charge is too much.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Samuel fails to acknowledge that the games weren’t free anyway. All four broadcasters who’ve been showing games in this behind closed doors era involves paying some form of subscription. 

So you are paying on top of those existing services. The broadcasters have the cameras there for the international coverage, so PL aren’t losing money here 

Not that I will be paying it, dodgy stream and a malware & pc clean up afterwards for me, but I presume the ppv  will be streaming service? Currently now tv does not support red button and I, like many others, don’t have satellite/sky box.

this is a total rip off. I get that in other countries people can watch all pl games for a fraction but I don’t object to that too much as local subscription pricing helps to protect attendances under  normal circumstances but these are different times.

if it was a tenner a go with all profits going to the club and a filter down to lower leagues, then it might be different.

wonder if the “big clubs” would vote for a % donation of tv monies received to lower leagues rather than a fixed fee from all. Somehow doubt it.

I actually suggested a smaller PPV model at the start of the season but £15 is outrageous. 

PPV works for boxing because most big fighters only fight twice a year and unless you’re a hardcore fan, you’re only interested in watching select fighters. Plus the PPV money secures the big names.

Fair play to the club for having the bollocks to vote against it. That could be so that they receive some good press, given the backlash the received for the £70 surcharge.

£15 to watch one Diet Football much is a sham. 

55 minutes ago, majaco said:

I want to watch the Leicester games.  I earn less in a year than players do in a week.  I already pay a Sky subscription.  On principle , I don't think I can pay.

In other news, the right wing, capitalist  government are making it illegal for schools to be critical of capitalism.   Charles Dickens, JB Priestley and Willy Russell could all face long bans.

The £15 charge is too much.

There's capitalism and there is greed. This is out and out greed. My hope is that no one pays it. It is nothing but a pi$$ take. Incidentally, pretty sure I just heard them say on the beeb that Leicester were the only club to vote against it.

'Passing the cost onto the customer' is the phrase we hear everytime there's a tax hike or the like. Big and small businesses have always done this to maximise profits and pay the shareholders dividends. They won't take the hit if someone else can pay for it. As consumers we can chose to pay or not. 

I won't be taking the hit. 

51 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

So you are paying on top of those existing services. The broadcasters have the cameras there for the international coverage, so PL aren’t losing money here 

Apart from the the thousands of paying customers every week, the rebates to the broadcasters and 100 million plus handout to the lower leagues. 

• Like 1

Fans who don’t normally attend games are not losing out in the pandemic, because they could never watch all their team’s games live on TV anyway. 

So the immediate issue was more about STHs/members and what you do to make up for the crowd ban. 

I understand there’s a debate to be had about PPV in the long run, but that’s not the issue at hand really. 

The PL would have been better to sort out a deal for STHs in the short term, then park the discussion of PPV until a later date.

Instead, they’ve decided to lump the two issues together and use the current crisis as a chance to test the market for PPV. 

• Like 1

premier League football clubs are so out of touch, Arsenal making 55 redundancies and then signing players for £45 million and now clubs voting through PPV on top of a monthly subscription, I'm going to watch non league this season, have a beer and a bit of banter and no VAR, got to say too, really proud that LCFC voted against the proposals

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I’d be more inclined to pay the £15 if the money was going to League One and Two clubs, but the money going to Premier League clubs is pure greed. I can’t see this being a long term thing. I’m assuming the numbers of PPV viewers will be so low they’ll revise the price. It’ll be illegal streams or the radio for me. I still don’t understand how a bloke in Taiwan has better access to Premier League games, than me, 10 minutes away from the ground. 

Only for those within range of BBC Radio Leicester. Get beyond Hinckley and you're stuffed. LCFC.Com is the only commentary that I can get. 

The premier league have done this because in their eyes they don't want to devalue their product.  Sky et al having invested billions in rights don't want any of the matches as free to view.  The clubs now are seeing a massive drop in gate receipts are trying to claw some of that back.  Clubs like Arsenal/Spurs have laid off staff but have taken advantage of Govt loans to buy players:@.  We as fans are also part of the problem, we give money to broadcasters, we demand our teams buy this player and that player, just watch Arsenal fan TV!  The Prem league has created one big " sandwich de merde" and little old Leicester managed to escape becoming the filling, well done to my club.:scarf:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Only for those within range of BBC Radio Leicester. Get beyond Hinckley and you're stuffed. LCFC.Com is the only commentary that I can get. 

Where are you?

I live near Sheffield and I get it fine, always have done. It's a perfect "replacement" for when I'm not at a game.

#boycottppv on Twitter is quite interesting.  Lot of love for LCFC :scarf:

Even if you accepted that the clubs need money and people should pay extra on top their existing subscriptions (which I don't) the way they are doing it is inherently unfair.

Unless you guarantee that every club has the exact same number of PPV games, one club's fans end up paying more than another club's.

Doesn't look like they are doing that. 

WBA fans getting bashed to start with.

This PPV shit is genuinely the most outrageous thing I’ve witnessed in my 30 odd years of following football. And that is no mean feat.

BT and Sky subscriptions are going off the back of it. Never mind boycotting ppv.

I Could not be more proud of this club for voting against it. Honestly outside of winning trophies the happiest I’ve ever been to say I’m a Leicester City fan.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 4

Proud of the club for taking a stance on behalf of Fans.  £15 is a joke surely.

£5 pounds seems about the right price for a game and I don't think many would complain at that. 

The reality is that every Club has more Fans who cannot get to Games than those who can.

The Premiership and Clubs should remember that.

Edited by Clever Fox

6 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Proud of the club for taking a stance on behalf of Fans.  £15 is a joke surely.

£5 pounds seems about the right price for a game and I don't think many would complain at that. 

The reality is that every Club has more Fans who cannot get to Games than those who can.

The Premiership and Clubs should remember that.

No, £5 is not fair.

The subscription we pay already is fair.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I would agree with you but we both know that isn't going to happen. There's going to be some charge introduced.

They can get fcked with this sorry. This is a step too far.

Sky and the PL have been destroying this league for proper football fans for years but even with everything they have done before taken into a account this is the biggest outrage of the lot.

Take a stand, cancel your subscriptions, when it’s £15 to watch West Brom Burnley then it’s time to say enough is enough.

14 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

No, £5 is not fair.

The subscription we pay already is fair.

The subscription has never covered 3pm games, at least until recently.

However, I concur it’s an outrageous approach, ever more so during this period when everyday people are struggling. 
I fear this is just a test the water cost exercise for PremFlix though.

2 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

They can get fcked with this sorry. This is a step too far.

Sky and the PL have been destroying this league for proper football fans for years but even with everything they have done before taken into a account this is the biggest outrage of the lot.

Take a stand, cancel your subscriptions, when it’s £15 to watch West Brom Burnley then it’s time to say enough is enough.

This is the clubs, not the broadcasters, a second reason why we should be proud of our club but angry with the league.