Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Danny Drinkwater

Another tragic story of someone who's a millionaire struggling, he may have mental heatlh issues but at least he can get help and pay for it, most of the people who have these problems can't get to see someone for months, if they are lucky!  He just comes across a bit arrogant and thinks he's better than he is, it is a case of a big fish in a small pond that became a small fish in a big pond and got lost as a result!

Surely if he’s frozen out at Chelsea and doesn’t make this seasons squad, they’d let him go out loan and pay the difference in his wages (or they could settle up and let him leave with no FFP).

He could go to a lower end Prem team or a better Championship team but would he take that?

Would many Prem teams take him after doing almost nothing at Burnley and Villa? 

He seems to be stuck in a situation where he wants games, but possibly unwilling to go to a team where he would get games. 

One good season in the Championship could really revive his career and sort his personal issues out in turn. 

From a human perspective, I don't know why a father of a young child is getting himself involved in nightclubs and living the London high life. You're an established player in the Premier League who's played for England, don't put yourself in those situations where you can find trouble or do irresponsible things. I know you can say well he's free to do what he likes, but there is surely a level of maturity required at some stage to ensure you don't end up in drunken fights.

He left Leicester for London which is even more bizarre if his child is in Manchester - he was and still is a money-chasing miserable t***.

You feel sorry for a player told with an hour to go to get a move, but I really struggle to see how he's gone through a whole pre-season and he's not worked out that he's not going to play, or even perhaps asked the manager what his plans are.

• Like 1

I never really rated him as a player, I always thought James was by far the better player of the two when they signed from Utd.

It was a good piece of business by the club to sell him when we did.

It sounds like he was drifting along on the success  we had at the time, Without realizing you have to keep working hard to retain it.

The article sounds like a cry for help and I wouldn't wish him any misfortune. Life can be tough at the best of times.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Good interview. Sad to see how he's dropped off.

Just shows you though - he had chance to leave and didn't as Kante went and we are not aware of that.

People forget how good Drinkwater was for us.

Hope he recovers and goes somewhere where he can play regular.

Still weird to see Kante get treated differently to the likes of Drinkwater yet Kante fvcked off at the first opportunity.

..just not sure if we are interpreting the same text correctly!!!

Chelsea came in the first time in the window after we won the League, but Leicester didn’t want to lose me and (N’Golo) Kante at the same time,” said Drinkwater.

. There wasn't an option for him to stay, the club was not prepared to allow both to leave at the same time.

36 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..just not sure if we are interpreting the same text correctly!!!

Chelsea came in the first time in the window after we won the League, but Leicester didn’t want to lose me and (N’Golo) Kante at the same time,” said Drinkwater.

. There wasn't an option for him to stay, the club was not prepared to allow both to leave at the same time.

I've already explained, what I meant is we just see his move and he's gone. He gets slated for being "greedy" etc yet nobody would turn down a move to a better and well paid job. BUT nobody knew they first bid the year before.

6 hours ago, Katy said:

I hope he’s getting some counselling, his Instagram stories often leave me feeling a bit concerned for him. He does need to sort himself out though, for the sake of his lad, him and his career. 

ps Mahrez gets stick from me as he is probably the most unlikeable player that’s ever played for us. Never liked his attitude. 

Whoa 😮 no way you’ve forgotten Dennis Wise, Mahrez not a patch on him in the disliked stakes! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Whoa 😮 no way you’ve forgotten Dennis Wise, Mahrez not a patch on him in the disliked stakes! 

Yeah, fair enough. I have to say though, I do really dislike Mahrez but at least he didn’t break someone’s jaw and tried to sue the club (although I bet that was his next move if we hadn’t have given in to his demands...)

• Haha 1

Drinky played great for us.  I am sorry he didnt stay.   I kind of understood his desire to ser if he could make it in a top six club.... yet he didnt succeed.  In hindsight he could have played on for us and been adored. 

It's a difficult balance... one one hand he wanted to play football... on the other he wanted to try for a starting spot at chelsea.  He got neither.   I hope his agent wasnt pushing.  This us where agents and footballers interests diverge.  The agent wants to maximise career earnings...the lad wants to play foot ball. The agent thinks it  worked out fine... what does drinky think?

Drinkwater is a lesson for footballers.... maybe he didnt appreciate what he had.  The ego always wants more.... and the agent too.

Things have not gone well... at burnley... at villa.... drink driving all sorts.  I am not sure it's depression... it may be... it just looks like he got completely lost. Booze needs to be set aside. I hope he turns it around and finds a stable club and stable life.

He needs to take responsibility ... and take care of his wellbeing... not just one... both.

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 2

It could be argued that Danny Simpson has done much worse in his time, but how he conducted himself on the pitch and during his time at the club earned my respect.. He redeemed himself.

Drinky  was a consummate professional during his time with us and i think everyone can see he made a bad decision and his life entered a dark period being out of the chelsea team and he’s made some mistakes. we have all made mistakes and done stuff we regret. Life makes you feel horrible and gives you anger when you feel like you are not in control. we’ve all acted like a melt before.

I Hope he finds a club that gives him a chance when not many others would like we did with Simpson. Drinky has got it in him to redeem himself both on and off the pitch with the right club.

I don't know about their current midfield options but could Fulham be a good fit for him? Stability for family, routine etc.

Chelsea's earlier bid makes sense, we had the best midfield that season and when they later signed him I believe already having Kante was significant, together they are even better than the sum of the parts or so Chelsea envisaged. The then Chelsea manager had other ideas about his own favourites and formations and using them as a two rarely if ever happened, then injuries and now the other problems. Had he stayed fit and with Chelsea playing 60 plus game seasons he would have had some involvement but hitting the ground running and cementing a regular spot didn't happen. 

At his best he is your dynamo, setting your tempo, puffing his chest out and controlling things, without confidence from within and from those around you that's a very hard task to fulfill. At best he'll be a tidy (pardon the pun) water-carrier now, nothing more, when he and we were confident you got those 30-40 yard balls to Vardy or Mahrez's toe, so many goals in the title season were from Kante nicking it unexpectedly, giving it to Drinkwater, early through ball then 2-3 touches later it's in the net. You have to be confident, fit and responsive to do that, I can"t see him getting that type of sharpness any time soon. Half a season of proving your body (and mind) is up to it (ie be available for selection every week) may be the best place to start and give him something to build on.

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Ultimately if players want to leave Leicester City I couldn’t give a fvck 

I only care for players who want to stay and win things with Leicester 

I'd normally completely agree with this but any of the immortals get a pass from me, especially the ones in the 1st XI.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Wow

So basically I guess it was a case of having achieved everything possible with us in the league there was no motivation left outside of the CL.  Makes you wonder how much of the squad felt like that, and makes me really respect Ferguson more how he kept his teams hungry.

Would explain the team's dramatic downturn in results and performances. I think there's still an issue with motivation at our place- the players seem to lose interest/ struggle for motivation/ get too comfortable after a while under most managers.

Drinkwater was one of the few still performing to a decent level in the season after the title win, though.

Doesn't mention any regret about leaving us but does touch upon the fact he wanted out.

I don't think he realises that, as a club and entity, we were perhaps a solution to a lot of his personal problems. 

In employment context and situation plays a huge part in success and Danny Drinkwater is discovering that at a great price. 

I feel bad for him. 

• Like 1

Out of all the ‘star’ players weve lost over the last couple of years hes the one i really cant stand. Just found him such a bigheaded, arrogant c*** for a bloke with such limited ability. Still makes me laugh when people comment on his Insta pics telling him to come back here, the bloke couldnt get in the Burnley or Villa side ffs, hes shite! 

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 2