Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cengiz Signs!

I wonder if the 'greedy' thing comes from us being unused to seeing a winger (especially on the right) cutting in, taking people on and shooting. I haven't analysed his game last night, and I daresay he didn't always take the best option, but I suspect he was asked to go and make things happen, and shoot when he saw a chance. 

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

People need to remember he's only 3 months older than Hamza.

And 5 months older than Barnes. It's interesting how some commentators always mention Harvey as "Young Harvey Barnes" (I'm talking about you Pipes!) but Under is seen as someone who should make immediate impact and score goals/assists in a new country/league. As mentioned before the guy hasn't even made two first eleven appearances in a row.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Frost said:

The Athletic state there are no variables in the loan agreement to turn it into a compulsory purchase option; so it's not appearance based which is interesting given Roma pushed for an obligation to buy in the summer.

With Vardy injured we'll need more pace in the side and I thought Cengiz looked lively yesterday when he came on. Hopefully with injuries out of the way we'll get a proper chance to assess him during the second half of the season. Rodgers also commented on how he wasn't used to the physicality and demands of the PL so needed some time to adjust.

It's a €2.7m loan fee + €24m purchase option for those that didn't know.

He's only played 301 minutes for us in total. Needs to start against Leeds in my opinion.

if we want to buy him then can they prevent it?

(I thought was a binding agreement to effectively push the sale into the summer)

In the few games he has played, he does love to cut inside and shoot from distance, but it seems he's more about power and it often gets charged down. Contrast that with Mahrez cutting in from more dangerous areas and placing it exactly where he wants.

I like the look of him though. His powerful finishes against AEK and Brentford did look good. I just think he needs time to really sync up with the rest of the team. He's been unlucky not to have more opportunities so far, but as we go deeper into the season, I'm sure that'll change.

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think he wins us the next 2 league games and the rest is history. 

I'd take that! 

Feels like he need a break out game, a couple of goals or a goal and an assist.

Something to give him some credit in the bank so he can play 4 or 5 games on the spin and never look back.

We have seen flashes of him being that missing link on the right.

Edited by coolhandfox

The important thing to remember is that he's only going to get better. Given his young age like Harvey and others they are still developing physically.

When he's had a full pre season and daily sessions in training he'll get physically stronger like Youri is showing now. Youri is not being pushed off the ball as easy as he was last season. 

Cenzi will follow with similar improvement and would be a very good addition to the squad, unless we can find better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

if we want to buy him then can they prevent it?

(I thought was a binding agreement to effectively push the sale into the summer)

We can trigger the permanent deal for the pre-agreed fee at any point during the loan period. Roma can't prevent it. Imagine they would be keen to sell for the fee involved.

3 hours ago, Frost said:

We can trigger the permanent deal for the pre-agreed fee at any point during the loan period. Roma can't prevent it. Imagine they would be keen to sell for the fee involved.

Good..  he is in our shop window.... I don't want a repeat of the youri situation 

Edited by foxinsocks

He needs to be given the chance for consistency.

He didn't even start any game for 2 in a row.

I really would like him to stay in LCFC but the reality is our right flank is congested now. We have Sharky, JJ, Castagne, Cengiz and Ricardo fighting for this area let alone we have an only real left footed player on left corridor. The 19 years old Thomas.

I know we have been lucky with the diversity of JJ but I believe Cengiz needs to switch the left attacking position while we'll put Barnsy to the temporary striker position until Vardy returns.

• Like 1

Barnes looks best when he's running at lollopping centre backs like Mina last night, he does that from the wing when the overlap comes, or just whenever there's a gap, that's pretty different from running the line in behind like Vardy, it's a Artform the way Vards does it, takes a lot of learning and skittle vodka.

16 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I also don't get this "Under needs a run of games to impress Rodgers" idea when he's played well and produced results pretty much every chance he's gotten.

I don't think there are many questions left in terms of football skills, he knows he has to work hard and has done so, because he seems fitter and leaner than when he arrived. Cengiz can.

There may be a few reasons to not confirm this til near the end of the season, with the current uncertainty an all, and it gives everyone (including Cengiz) a chance to make sure it is the right move.

• Like 1

I think there's a lot more to come but a little bit of patience is the key. He's young and when he arrived, because of injury, he'd not had a lot of football so his fitness levels would have been down compared with the requirements for Premiership demands. Rodgers understandably needed to get him into shape. For a very young man with ambitions and wanting to impress, in a new country and culture, this must have been hard and frustrating for him. He later picks up a minor injury. 

What glimpses we've seen have been very promising but whoever comes, I'm fed up to the back teeth of the phrase Marhez replacement! He went a long time ago now and was a one off, what about a Weller, Worthington or Heskey replacement, how pathetic do we need to get.

Some people moan about tippy tappy passing side to side football but, when we get a young man who tries to run at players and have a long range shot, some are now saying he's a bit greedy etc. How many times has the hapless Perez tried to unsuccessfully get round 3 players and not even got a shot off before falling over in a pathetic heap? A shot can be deflected if it doesn't go in, it can cause uncertainty in opposition defenders if they have a player in front of them that they know is prepared to shoot from outside the box. How many times have we as a team overplayed things in the last third only to lose the ball. Yes, I understand about decision making but nobody shoots with the intention of missing and I'd sooner players pepper the goal than wait for the perfect moment which moreoften never materialises.

Under offers something different to what we have. How often also do we need a change second half, then we look to the bench and see Perez and Iheanacho, wow, how bloody uninspiring, yet you look at this lad and think just maybe? 

What are the alternatives? A 28yr old Thauvin just because he's free? Admittedly he was young in a poor side but he didn't adapt last time he was here did he. On three occasions his temperament has been questionable at clubs, do we really want an ageing Premiership risk with a gaelic shrug just because his cv says he had about one part game in a world cup winning team? Is he willing and able to adapt to  Rodgers wishes or is he set in his ways at 28? His stats have been good for a couple of years or so but there again, so were an ageing Slimani's when he left us for a relegation threatened Monaco!

Rodgers and his team know what they're doing. How many on here had written Soyuncu off without ever having seen him? It must have taken a year before the debut of that supposed waste of money, now look. He supposedly had language and confidence issues and so could Under, but he at least has a friend in Soyuncu and a good man manager who will gauge when the time is right. Just because he isn't a regular doesn't equate to him being written off. I look forward to seeing more of him when Rodgers deems fit.

• Like 4

Guest Hansifüx
On 29/01/2021 at 07:40, Deeg67 said:

How about we start him, manufacture a couple of goals, and don't have to chase the game in the last half hour?

or the last ten minutes :/

I thought he was quite poor when he came on but we really need more goalscorers in this side. Albrighton played well, if vardy was playing he mightve had an assist from that cross but he wont get us goals, he's just not that kind of player, which is why in vardy's absence Under needs to start. I thought it would have been clear to rodgers after the everton game, hopefully it's clear now that we dont have enough bite in that starting 11.

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

I thought he was quite poor when he came on but we really need more goalscorers in this side. Albrighton played well, if vardy was playing he mightve had an assist from that cross but he wont get us goals, he's just not that kind of player, which is why in vardy's absence Under needs to start. I thought it would have been clear to rodgers after the everton game, hopefully it's clear now that we dont have enough bite in that starting 11.

He came for the final test minutes when "tactics" were basically out the window as we desperately chased a lead. 

He really needs to be assessed over a few games. Don’t know whether Albrighton was a bit under the weather today but I thought he struggled to get up and down the pitch in the 1st half which is unlike him. This could give Ünder a chance in midweek. The areas where I feel he probably doesn’t match up to Albrighton is his tracking back and also his decision making with the ball (he seems a bit Demarai if you get me). He’s probably got more individual skill and finishing ability but I’m not convinced he’s got any more pace than Albrighton too.