Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cengiz Signs!

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Has to start on Sunday, Leeds will give him so much room. Hattrick

He has such a great left foot , when he comes in across defenders he is so dangerous. If he gets a run of games I can see he scoring many goals with that lethal left foot .

• Like 1

The Athletic state there are no variables in the loan agreement to turn it into a compulsory purchase option; so it's not appearance based which is interesting given Roma pushed for an obligation to buy in the summer.

With Vardy injured we'll need more pace in the side and I thought Cengiz looked lively yesterday when he came on. Hopefully with injuries out of the way we'll get a proper chance to assess him during the second half of the season. Rodgers also commented on how he wasn't used to the physicality and demands of the PL so needed some time to adjust.

It's a €2.7m loan fee + €24m purchase option for those that didn't know.

He's only played 301 minutes for us in total. Needs to start against Leeds in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He's a bit weird in the fact that he's greedy when he's 30 yards out but then probably looks for a pass when he's in the box. He definitely adds another dimension to our attack, particularly being a left footer. Albrighton hasn't done anything wrong to be dropped but Under definitely carries a greater goal threat. Whether he starts against Leeds depends on how brave Rodgers is, he will have space on the attack but will he stay with him man (Alioski?) when Leeds chuck men forward. I think without Ndidi Rodgers will stick with Albrighton. 

Echoing what some have said on here. Cengiz is clearly a talented lad, and is a threat when he’s on the pitch, but for me he sticks out like a sore thumb in this team. He doesn’t seem to be playing the same way as everyone else, is dribble/shoot first rather than pass, and I don’t really think he fits into our system/way of playing. Fantastic when it works, but incredible frustrating and counterproductive to the team’s style of play when it doesn’t.

Given some of the fantastic recruitment we’ve done recently, i’d wager we could get someone more consistently effective for the £25-30 mil he’d cost. 

He's a talent all right. I agree with most of what's been said but I think his problem is his instructions from Brendan is being lost in Translation.

We know Brendan likes wingers playing on the opposite to their natural side because they can cut inside and shoot. I'm sure Brendan has relayed this too him but he's taking it literally and trying to shoot every time. He's also trying to impress to gain a contract and the best way to do that is to score goals.

He just needs to settle into the side and he will be an excellent addition. With him and Harvey on each wing they will create and score a lot of Goals.

1 hour ago, Gevans_97 said:

Given some of the fantastic recruitment we’ve done recently, i’d wager we could get someone more consistently effective for the £25-30 mil he’d cost. 

Our good recruitment seems limited to midfielders and defenders though. When it comes to attackers, we're massively off the boil. Our main attacking threats are 1. Vardy (signed in 2012) and Barnes (academy).

In terms of attackers, we've signed/loaned in the prem, the list reads as: Perez, Ghezzal, Iheanacho, Diabate, Musa, Slimani, Ulloa, Gray, Okazaki, Nathan Dyer, Karamaric

Out of those 11, how many can we say were a success here? Okazaki, and possibly Ulloa if I'm being generous (though only for his contribution to the title win, he never really nailed down a starting spot). That's 2 out of 11, and even then neither of them were known for their goal scoring prowess. That totals up to about £150m spent on attackers.

Under seems the most promising attacking talent we've seen since Mahrez. He's a bit raw, but I really hope we sign him. I do agree that he doesn't play the same way as the rest of the team, so far. But he is very direct. People talk about needing a 'Plan B' (which doesn't always have to mean, Big Man Up Front) and playing Under offers a slightly different threat to what we've got.

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, eddylcfc said:

Looks dangerous but my god is he greedy. Not been overly impressed with him so far and seems injury prone. Hopefully he can get a run in the side and show us all why he was once coveted by the biggest clubs in Europe.

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

He's a bit weird in the fact that he's greedy when he's 30 yards out but then probably looks for a pass when he's in the box. He definitely adds another dimension to our attack, particularly being a left footer. Albrighton hasn't done anything wrong to be dropped but Under definitely carries a greater goal threat. Whether he starts against Leeds depends on how brave Rodgers is, he will have space on the attack but will he stay with him man (Alioski?) when Leeds chuck men forward. I think without Ndidi Rodgers will stick with Albrighton. 

1 hour ago, Gevans_97 said:

Echoing what some have said on here. Cengiz is clearly a talented lad, and is a threat when he’s on the pitch, but for me he sticks out like a sore thumb in this team. He doesn’t seem to be playing the same way as everyone else, is dribble/shoot first rather than pass, and I don’t really think he fits into our system/way of playing. Fantastic when it works, but incredible frustrating and counterproductive to the team’s style of play when it doesn’t.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

He's a talent all right. I agree with most of what's been said but I think his problem is his instructions from Brendan is being lost in Translation.

We know Brendan likes wingers playing on the opposite to their natural side because they can cut inside and shoot. I'm sure Brendan has relayed this too him but he's taking it literally and trying to shoot every time. He's also trying to impress to gain a contract and the best way to do that is to score goals.

He just needs to settle into the side and he will be an excellent addition. With him and Harvey on each wing they will create and score a lot of Goals.

Ünder’s passing is top-grade, when he elects to go that route. Nonetheless, I like that he tries to shoot from outside the box - especially when we are behind and chasing a goal. Way too often (in fact, seemingly almost always with the exception of Maddison and less often Tielemans) we seem to be trying to walk every ball into the net on each and every possession, and most often invariably lose/turn over possession.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 4

On 25/01/2021 at 04:06, surrifox said:

My understanding of what was made public about the structure of the deal is that Roma retain the right to sell him elsewhere in the event of a higher bid but we have an option to buy at an agreed price ( if no-one else is in at a higher price) . We didn’t want to commit to buying at an agreed price 

I seriously doubt the veracity of the highlighted.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Our good recruitment seems limited to midfielders and defenders though. When it comes to attackers, we're massively off the boil. Our main attacking threats are 1. Vardy (signed in 2012) and Barnes (academy).

In terms of attackers, we've signed/loaned in the prem, the list reads as: Perez, Ghezzal, Iheanacho, Diabate, Musa, Slimani, Ulloa, Gray, Okazaki, Nathan Dyer, Karamaric

Out of those 11, how many can we say were a success here? Okazaki, and possibly Ulloa if I'm being generous (though only for his contribution to the title win, he never really nailed down a starting spot). That's 2 out of 11, and even then neither of them were known for their goal scoring prowess. That totals up to about £150m spent on attackers.

Under seems the most promising attacking talent we've seen since Mahrez. He's a bit raw, but I really hope we sign him. I do agree that he doesn't play the same way as the rest of the team, so far. But he is very direct. People talk about needing a 'Plan B' (which doesn't always have to mean, Big Man Up Front) and playing Under offers a slightly different threat to what we've got.

I completely understand what you’re saying and agree to an extent, especially when you put it like that re: attackers signed.

Personally I just don’t think Under has been good enough to warrant us buying him, and I think the way he plays is somewhat counterintuitive to what Rodgers wants from the team. Maybe i’d bring him in as a secondary option/Plan B, but in my mind I think RW is the one area we need to really strengthen in to raise the bar of the team, and so i’d rather go out and get someone who’s guaranteed to start.

Understand why people like him, but he’s not for me.

2 hours ago, eddylcfc said:

Looks dangerous but my god is he greedy. Not been overly impressed with him so far and seems injury prone. Hopefully he can get a run in the side and show us all why he was once coveted by the biggest clubs in Europe.

i disagree 100% We need a player that has an eye for goal and not just cross it in. (Albrighton). He has also shown in the Brentford game that hes not greedy either, . A nice change of pace on the right wing and  i guarantee he was instructed by BR to go for goals lastnight..

Edited by Simoken
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Simoken said:

i disagree 100% We need a player that has an eye for goal and not just cross it in. (Albrighton). He has also shown in the Brentford game that hes not greedy either, . A nice change of pace on the right wing and  i guarantee he was instructed by BR to go for goals lastnight..

You can add the assists to Vardy versus Leeds and Arsenal, and with the latter many players would have been forgiven for taking the shot themselves.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Gevans_97 said:

I completely understand what you’re saying and agree to an extent, especially when you put it like that re: attackers signed.

Personally I just don’t think Under has been good enough to warrant us buying him, and I think the way he plays is somewhat counterintuitive to what Rodgers wants from the team. Maybe i’d bring him in as a secondary option/Plan B, but in my mind I think RW is the one area we need to really strengthen in to raise the bar of the team, and so i’d rather go out and get someone who’s guaranteed to start.

Understand why people like him, but he’s not for me.

I don’t think it’s necessarily “counterintuitive to what Rodgers wants from the team” but merely different from how many of our other attackers (Perez, Gray, Albrighton, etc.)  play. But ideally that’s exactly what you need from a complete squad - different players bringing different qualities to the table.

Nonetheless, it’s substantively no different from how Barnes plays on the other side of our attack. Barnes routinely picks up the ball and runs at the opposition defense, most often cutting inside as he does so, and if he can create appropriate space for himself tries a shot with his right foot, but if not lay the ball off to someone else. He does this more often than taking the ball to the byline and looking to cross. Flip the field and that’s the substantively same thing Ünder does on the right. 

• Like 2

Guest Hansifüx

I think BR wants the wingers to be "greedy" and go for a shot ... especailly when they are playing without a CF....  we are seeing it on both sides, Barnes sticks out as much as Under does in how he goes for a goal despite the number of people between him and the goal ;)  

Edited by Hansifüx

8 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

After all the dross we've had on the rw post mahrez i cant see why we would roll the dice again when Under looks more than capable of playing to the level of his teammates. If you look at the right wingers we've been linked to over the years bergwijn, sarr, pepe, pretty much all have underperformed after moving elsewhere. Under looks good in a leicester shirt and im sure he will get even better, we cant guarantee the same for any alternatives no matter how flashy their youtube compilation is.

Give him a season to adapt, i can see him being a right dangerous player in 21/22

3 hours ago, eddylcfc said:

I think that's just very eager to impress. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gevans_97 said:

Not sure I agree with that. The problem as I see it is that we haven't had a similar player to Barnes, that plays on the right wing instead of the left wing. Under is about to have a slight different style but he cuts inside as Barnes would and has pace like Barnes does and can shot better than Barnes I'd say. Hes good with interchangeable play too. If he played like he has been doing and becomes more refined under BR then I'd happily take €24mil that is better spent on him.

• Like 2