Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Villa post match

Big supporter of Rodgers but taking off Mendy for Choudhury is asking for trouble. Signals to the other team you're being defensive, giving them more confidence.

But we had five first team players not starting, only one of whom was able to play some minutes. And that is the key issue. 

Sounds like 0-0 would have been a fair result but Villa got their luck this time. 

• Like 1

Just now, lanefox said:

Not read a single post let me guess massive overreaction to 1 game?

No one mentioning we have 5 first team players missing from the starting 11 including. Vardy, Ricardo, Maddison and Ndidi who are kind of our best four players and we played 90 mins against the most in form team in the country and there was absolutely nothing in it. 

Just now, Clever Fox said:

On one hand it's hard to be critical of Brendan with so many injuries.

But then you have to question the commitment and mentality of the players.

Too many poor decisions, poor passing and a lack of leaders on the pitch.

Things need to improve and quickly.

We have a pretty good squad of players now (and some rubbish too tbf)

And yes, we have injuries

BUT, I’m starting to wonder now whether someone else could get more from this lot than Rodgers can?

Someone wrote earlier, under Rodgers since Jan 1st, we’ve amassed 26 points from 22 games.... 

The jury needs to be out tbh.

Rodgers ISNT untouchable and some of the football we’ve played this year has been awful.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Didn't look anything special at all. If we gave them anything to worry about we'd have won

I agree. There'll be a massive Grealish and Villa media love in now but they're bang average really. We were missing 5 or 6 first teamers against their first XI and they didn't have a single shot on target until the 70th minute. They're much improved from last season, though.

Edited by Sunbury Fox

I agree about the Slimani sub. Not inherently a bad idea to bring him on but he's not really effective running the channels or playing triangles around the box. Albrighton is still a top class crosser of the ball so I don't understand why he doesn't come on instead of Hamza, who ended up going awol at a critical stage of the game and allowed Barkley acres of space for the goal.

People joke about our performance being Puel-esque but that's genuinely how I felt today. Like then, we don't seem to have any discernible personality or identity at the moment. If you watched Leeds, Spurs, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Wolves and quite a few other teams play without being able to see the faces of the players or colour of the kits, you could probably make a decent guess at which team you were watching. I'm obviously not saying these are perfect teams - they're not all having an ideal season so far by any means - but still they have a noticeable style with some logical end goal in mind. When I watch us, I can't really understand what we're trying to do. When Vardy is playing, the main strategy seems to be give the ball to Vardy and hope the opposition defend poorly or someone fouls him in the box. And when he's not playing, I honestly have no idea and I'm not sure the players do either. 

Edited by MarshallForEngland

Tbf, it wasn’t that bad. A lot of hate on here for Perez, but he had to double up on Grealish (the best player outside the top six) with Castagne, and he did that well.  

Hamza switched off for the goal. 

We have got to be better in the final third. 

We need more work, on winning free kicks, and scoring them!

Tielemans still needs more work on his fitness

Iheanacho has to do more.

Cengiz Ünder needs to come in (get fit) Play Perez down the middle.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

How long is Vards out for?

Saving him for the second half of the season to avoid a bad run like last year.

'40 points, 40 points' Emperor Claudio was right.

When you look at the fixtures, genuinely cannot see where the next League point is going to come from before Christmas?

1 minute ago, lcfc_forever said:

Big supporter of Rodgers but taking off Mendy for Choudhury is asking for trouble. Signals to the other team you're being defensive, giving them more confidence.

But we had five first team players not starting, only one of whom was able to play some minutes. And that is the key issue. 

Sounds like 0-0 would have been a fair result but Villa got their luck this time. 

He had to take Mendy off because he was tiring. All Hamza had to do was watch his man. That’s it, simple football. I like to defend Hamza as much as I can but his last few appearances has led to errors which has cost us. Today, their talented CM was given time to pick the ball up, carry it, pick his spot and shoot before Hamza came into shot. Unacceptable. 

• Like 1