Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
adejo92

AEK Athens (A) Europa League

2 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Leeds look like a bloody nightmare to play against, like a plague of locusts. And pretty good quality locusts at that.

I'm hoping our boys treat them like high protein snacks, but I do worry about a 'wtf hit us' response from them on Monday night.

I think we have a new found way of beating teams away from home who press from the front. I can see us getting a result.

• Like 1

At this point I'd probably want to rest a few players that have been playing a lot.

Schmeichel

Justin

Fofana

Morgan/Fuchs

Thomas

Praet

Choudhary

Under

Maddison

Albrighton

Kelechi

Vardy and Barnes on for Kel and Albrighton/Under after 60.  Tielemans on for Praet after 75 or so.

Could all change when Wes picks up his usual injury or Hamza gets a red.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I think we have a new found way of beating teams away from home who press from the front. I can see us getting a result.

They seem to press from the back, the middle and round the sides too. Will be checking their social distancing in the tunnel.

On 28/10/2020 at 11:31, Spudulike said:

It's all Greek to me but I reckon I'll have some moussaka for tea and then after I've finished the Mythos I'll go outside and shout abuse at my neighbours and chuck a few plastic patio chairs around. It'll feel just like being there. 

Just need to get someone to lob a Molotov cocktail at your for the full away fan experience 

Fans from AEK Athens throw a Molotov cocktail in the Ajax fans stand : pics

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

Slightly bemused by the idea we should be making wholesale changes in Europe ahead of a regular league game against (newly-promoted) Leeds. 

I suppose some rotation is inevitable, but I’d like us to go as strong as possible - including Vardy, if he is fit.  

And if it means we have to then rotate him out against Leeds for Iheanacho/Perez that’s fine by me. 

Premiership football is always the main priority, no question about it as it's the financial future of the club at stake. Rodgers, understandably, has already come out with pertinent reasons as to why he will be making changes. I'm sure he'll pick as strong a side as he can for this but if it came to a choice between a win against AEK or 3 points against Leeds, it would be Leeds every day of the week but it needn't come to that, we've got enough in the squad to put on a good show. As well as injuries, there's fatigue and the need to get games into some of our more peripheral players. 

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I know I've said full strength for every game in the EL but I think I'd actually rest Vards tonight. I doubt very much that AEK will dominate us and we'll be looking to hit them on the break like against Arsenal. We'll have a lot of the ball and their back line will be deeper, like West Ham were. I think Nacho would be 95% as effective as Vards would be tonight, and then we can save JV for the inevitably expansive game vs Leeds.

Other than that, full strength please. 

Plus it felt really harsh to drop him for arsenal. Obviously proven right/obsolete by the result, but this would also show him some love. 

My guess is that it depends on what the boss (Vardy) wants to do. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jack1993 said:

I think we should rest our better players and play a weakened team for this. If we have all of our best players available for the league then hopefully we can focus on that and qualify for next seasons Europa League. 

Totally agree, never understood why teams try to qualify every year for Europe but then rest players in European games in order to concentrate on the league.......and qualifie for Europe

1 hour ago, Jack1993 said:

I think we should rest our better players and play a weakened team for this. If we have all of our best players available for the league then hopefully we can focus on that and qualify for next seasons Europa League. 

Can I get a few more likes on this please, I've been working really hard to get my + rating high enough with my post count but every time I get close I accidentally post some drivel that takes me even further away from my target! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack1993 said:

1 minute ago, Jack1993 said:

Can I get a few more likes on this please, I've been working really hard to get my + rating high enough with my post count but every time I get close I accidentally post some drivel that takes me even further away from my target! 

:mad: FFS I've done it again 

• Haha 1

I personally would play a second string, not because I don’t value the competition but because I think we can still win. 

I guess the flip side is guarantee the points early and rest once the jobs done. 

I just think a burnout later down the line will be our detriment to both competitions. So we should utilize the good squad we have. I don’t think that’s necisarrily a sign we don’t care about this competition. We can get away with rotation in these games, not in the prem. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jack1993 said:

You may be disappointed as I wrote something similar and it disappeared/ was deleted. And I have proof I had a reaction to it that when I click on it, sends me back to the thread with nothing from me on it! 

Its a conspiracy, censorship! (hoping it was an error, because I still only have 1 ban for foul and abusive behaviour (foad 😂) which has proven the line from school about it staying on your permanent record. My criminal record for being ejected didn't stay as long as that 😱😱😱😱

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I personally would play a second string, not because I don’t value the competition but because I think we can still win. 

I guess the flip side is guarantee the points early and rest once the jobs done. 

I just think a burnout later down the line will be our detriment to both competitions. So we should utilize the good squad we have. I don’t think that’s necisarrily a sign we don’t care about this competition. We can get away with rotation in these games, not in the prem. 

A very good point. I can see both sides and am just going to take it as it comes. 

Might even try to avoid an out bust first half against Leeds like I did arsenal of we go defensive, 😂no promises on that one. I hated it. 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Premiership football is always the main priority, no question about it as it's the financial future of the club at stake. Rodgers, understandably, has already come out with pertinent reasons as to why he will be making changes. I'm sure he'll pick as strong a side as he can for this but if it came to a choice between a win against AEK or 3 points against Leeds, it would be Leeds every day of the week but it needn't come to that, we've got enough in the squad to put on a good show. As well as injuries, there's fatigue and the need to get games into some of our more peripheral players. 

I agree Premier League football is more financially important to the club. But the game tonight is one of 6 in a group-stage knockout, and the game on Monday is one of 38 in a league season that will last until late spring. 

We haven't played that much in European competitions during our history. Whereas we have played many seasons in the top division, and will hopefully play many more over the course of the next decade. 

As for comparing the relative strength of AEK and Leeds - I think it's quite difficult to do really. Not just because AEK play in a different country, but the league season is only a few games in. Leeds look good for a promoted team, but it's not as if that hasn't happened before. 

Players do need to be rested - my preference though, on a balance of risks, would be to do that in the league to allow us to go full-strength in Europe. Although I understand if others would take a different view, it's not an easy call. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

At this point I'd probably want to rest a few players that have been playing a lot.

Schmeichel

Justin

Fofana

Morgan/Fuchs

Thomas

Praet

Choudhary

Under

Maddison

Albrighton

Kelechi

Vardy and Barnes on for Kel and Albrighton/Under after 60.  Tielemans on for Praet after 75 or so.

Could all change when Wes picks up his usual injury or Hamza gets a red.

I'd rather keep consistency in the starting 11 and start them that way and make changes after 60 minutes. New players like Under need to be integrated with the mainstay first 11. I also think this is dangerous to put out a team that isn't cohesive no matter whether it's a PL or EL game. AEK we should beat on paper but their players play with a high degree of energy (especially in hot weather). I dont think the team above is quick enough.

I think Rodgers wants qualification over and done as quickly as possible.

Win the first 3 and then put you feet up.

Vardy is going to want to play in Europe as that probably some where he think he has something to prove after only scoring 2 in 9 in the CL.

Edited by coolhandfox