Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Sheffield United (A) Pre Match thread

the way our results are going feels like a certain loss this sunday but knowing our guys I'm sure they'll pull a performance out of the hat that will shock us all. They do this from time to time. I mean I really hope they do but my mind says probably a hard fought draw.

2 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Wouldn't necessarily agree with that and on at least one occasion, ie the tactics against Liverpool hung him out to dry.

I definitely agree that the tactics at L'pool failed him & at Zorya being partnered with Hamza was unproductive. Sometimes the performances are not always due to the player but more down the set-up.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

The year is 2052.

We join Leicester City Player Manager, Wes Morgan, as he addresses the media in his press conference ahead of his teams away game to Sheffield United.

REPORTER: Wes, the loss to Fulham came to many as a surprise, how have you put the defeat behind you?

WM: We’re fine, it's behind us now. The important thing was that they played with intensity and passion.  Any team that finds themselves in the bottom 3 like Fulham, are going to be fighting for every point possible, they just caught us on a bad day.

REPORTER:

Many people said after the game that playing 3 at the back against a struggling team is too cautious.

WM:

Yeah, I remember the same debate cropping up 30 years ago. Look, I choose the players and formation the way I see fit and what with the updates required for key players on the sidelines, we’re covering over the cracks or as I like to think of it, it’s like redesigning a tattoo.

I’m not worried, once we get the boys back from their critical updates, we’ll be able to revert to our preferred 1-1-8 formation.

REPORTER:

Congratulations to Christian Fuchs on receiving yet another one year contract extension, If I’m right, that’s his 31st one year extension in a row, is he ever going to stop?

WM:

Yeah, it’s great news, not just for Fuchsy, but for the club as a whole. With the modern technology that’s been introduced into the game over the last 30 years, it’s enabled him to carry on playing in both English and American Football at the highest level. He teleported in last night from New York and he’s available.

REPORTER:

When you say modern technology, to be fair Christian is 80% AI now and the debate still rages as to whether AI players should be outlawed from the game.

WM:

We’re well aware of the controversy surrounding AI, but we're playing within the laws of the game. You know as well as any about the history of the game since the breakaway league of 2026. We had to look at new ways of competing at the same levels of the teams of that day. You remember well, we had to try every measure possible to catch up with the big 6 at that time, you know, Wolves, Villa, Spurs, Everton, West Ham and my old club Nottingham Forest, they were untouchable until AI was introduced, it levelled the digital playing field.

REPORTER:

But many fans still see your total domination of world football in the last 15 years as solely down to AI.

WM:

The Chairman, has always been smart, and after Coronavirus they invested heavily in AI. They had a vision that has changed the game. I know the debate is well discussed, some for the worse, but mainly for the better, you ask Fuchsy or Vardy.

REPORTER:

Speaking of which, Jamie Vardy at 65 is looking to score his 100th goal against Sheffield United and his 1000th premier league goal. How’s he feeling?

WM:

Vardy’s record speaks for itself. He’s excited about it, but he’s gutted he won’t be able to celebrate in front of the Dalai Vardy stadium, who knows? he might wait until next week to score it, you know what he’s like, but I’d say the thought of him cupping his antennae in front of the Chris Wilder Stand is something he'll be looking forward too.

REPORTER:

Vardyism still runs strong through the club, how important does Vardyism remain to the clubs success.

WM:

It’s massive, from a small idea on an internet forum, came what you see today, and having the Vardy Army behind us is a big part of the club. The Chairman saw Jamie as the future of this club and the fact he’s still playing today is testament to that vision.

REPORTER:

And what about Foxestalk and its relationship to the club?

WM:

You can’t have one without the other, FT scouts all the players, tells us which players are rubbish, it chooses the subs, tells us which games are a must win and it still keeps the hope alive that one day we’ll swap the kop for the family stand.

REPORTER:

Any news on that?

WM:

Well, Fox in the North has predicted it will happen in 2087, so we remain positive.

REPORTER

Thanks Wes, good luck for the game.

WM:

Thank you.

Not one "Errm" from Wes, so not convinced it's really him :P

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I definitely agree that the tactics at L'pool failed him & at Zorya being partnered with Hamza was unproductive. Sometimes the performances are not always due to the player but more down the set-up.

I definitely felt this was the case against Fulham. It was highlighted a few times when Tielemans had the ball, even from quite a deep position, looked forward and ended up turning back. Tielemans is a luxury that can really make us tick if we have good movement around him. He's destined to fail with that kind of set up in a game like that.

Funny you mention Liverpool - they are obviously excellent but I maintain they won't have an easier game all season than us a fortnight ago, and their results since suggest they aren't quite as unbeatable as made out.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Schmeichel

Justin - Fofana - Evans - Thomas

Ndidi (if possible)

Tielemans - Maddison

Under - Vardy - Barnes

A bit risky? Probably, but I'd much sooner that than any kind of Fulham-esque garbage. We need to inject a bit of positivity and creativity into our side.

4 at the back?! This is SHEFFIELD UNITED we're playing you know! Do you really wanna see them put 5 or 6 goals past us? 

5 at the back and 2 DMs for me please Brendan! 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Ricardo news is terrible.

It is bad, but could be worse. The fact we've responded to just a slight issue and hauled him off at HT could be a good thing. Let's hope the assessment/scan brings back positive news... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

4 at the back?! This is SHEFFIELD UNITED we're playing you know! Do you really wanna see them put 5 or 6 goals past us? 

5 at the back and 2 DMs for me please Brendan! 

I'd like to see Ndidi, Mendy and Hamza start.. we've got to be extremely careful and hopefully we'll get a draw.

• Haha 1

First goal will be very crucial. If they score first I think it possible we will just collapse mentally as we seem very fragile at times. This will be one of those roll your sleeves up type of afternoons. They won't sit off us and give us space and though we may have better technical players I do worry they go missing in games quite often and we can easily be intimidated and out fought.

We need to be a bit nastier sometimes.

I think we'll be really negative to begin with, Rodgers is concerned about the defence and any success we've had away from home has been built on being tight and compact whilst doing damage on the counter. First goal is crucial as always, we don't create enough to be going behind.

I'd be surprised if we don't go back to a back 5. I wonder if Wes coming off early on Thursday was an indication of a start here? Although he did seem to be struggling. We could really do with some extra aerial ability. 

Tempting to put Ndidi in but we need to be patient. Bench tomorrow and start against AEK.

Front 3 is anyone guess. I'd like to see under, Vardy and Barnes but as much as frustrates you, we do miss madders when he's not there. 

No doubt McBurnie and McGoldrick will turn into Zlatan.

13 hours ago, murphy said:

That's the spirit.  When the going gets (ever so slightly) tough, turn it off.

I hope the players show a bit more moral fibre.

I don't mind losing but I want to see the players give 100% and most importantly show some improvement. I can accept watching us lose to Liverpool and accept we were outplayed but the likes of Fulham and some other home games where we look poor. I also hate watching on TV, in a stadium I would be there every week no matter what.

14 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

Your choice of course, but a reminder that 12 days ago we were top of the table and everyone was happy 

See post above. On the point of being top, we were very lucky with opposition teams gifting us penalties. On top of that our defense and Kasper deserve credit. Our lack of creativity up front is a real concern and the table is so close. 15th is only a couple of losses away. I prefer to look at the performances than the table. Having said that if we are in a good position with 1 game to go having played average all season, I wouldn't say no.

Slow starts have become a feature in the last few games. I hope they've spoken and done some work on these. 

Going behind on a set piece or counter will be fatal. Not looking forward to this one although we know that Vardy will be up for it. 

16 minutes ago, demon_dog said:

C'mon all of you get real. Remember we are Leicester City. We nearly always lose to the teams that are at the bottom of the league. Those of you expecting any different have not supported us long enough!

True last season we were thumped by Bournemouth, lost to Norwich! and struggled against Watford... all were relegated. Still finished 5th though 

Edited by foxes_rule1978