Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Sheffield United (A) Pre Match thread

1 minute ago, Shit_arse said:

The performance is key here not the result. 

Yes we should beat Sheff U but for me its all about the reaction from the plays following a difficult few weeks.

Although I know what you mean, a win would be just as important to the teams confidence and momentum as losing or drawing but playing really well. How often have we seen any sort of a win after a rough spell then make the team kick on again!

Hoping youri and Evan and vardy will have benefited from a little break.

we have to win this, it’s tough after going all the way to the the Ukraine and it being less than 3 days from the end of that game to the start of this one.

2-1 to Leicester 

14 minutes ago, Shit_arse said:

Yes we should beat Sheff U but for me its all about the reaction from the plays following a difficult few weeks.

I’d actually argue the opposite, sometimes when things aren’t going your way, a shithouse 1-0 away win that’s probably a little undeserved can be the spark that sees us go on a run. 
A bit like the out of form striker who gets one in off his arse then goes on a run of goals.

A scrappy 1-0 win can steady the ship before we start the Christmas period.

A Season that started so promising with Everton, Aston Villa and LC mixing it at the top now has the usual suspects as the top 5. All rather predictable and rather depressing. After the last 3 matches Sheffield must be thinking they have a great opportunity to land their first win of the season. I'm going for a 1-1 bore draw.

I suspect the main reason for our indifferent recent form is tiredness - physical and mental. Injuries have meant we haven't been able to rotate as much as we'd have wanted to, so those playing nearly every game are starting to look shot - for example Fuchs, who is walking on fumes now. Thursday should have seen the beginning of the end of the problem with three key players returning. In fact things got worse: neither Soyuncu nor Morgan could finish the game, meaning yet further game time for Fofana and Fuchs. Ricardo picked up a groin problem and won't be available today. Only Ndidi might make today's squad. Unless one of Soyuncu or Amartey is fully fit by the end of the month, a new CB would be essential in January. We could easily lose today, but instead of the usual FT meltdown about selection, formation, tactics and the manager, I wonder if any might agree that the principal reason might well be exhaustion? 16 games so far this season, plus for many, 5 or 6 international matches (which is why Kasper, Youri and Jonny were left at home midweek).

So, on topic (!), I think keeping minds and bodies fresh will be uppermost in the manager's mind today. Players like Perez (hardly kicked a ball) should feature, and those playing less than the squad average like Maddison, Thomas and Albrighton too. It's not the team I'd want to see but if I'm right expect something like this:   

Schmeichel

Fofana Evans Justin

Albrighton Mendy Tielemans Thomas

Perez Maddison

Vardy

with Under and possibly Barnes to come on as the game opens up.

• Like 3

Just now, StanSP said:

Barnes and Under would work perfectly with Vardy up front. More movement than Kelechi offers and someone to help with going forward quickly on the break if the opportunity presents. 

Hope they all start. 

its the only way we will get goals at the minute get as many attackers out there as possible as we are on a dry run and barely trouble the opposition keeper.

Youri and Madders in behind and we should see a better performance and result.

If we continue 343 or 523, Praet and Maddison is our worst combination of attacking midfielders, at best its one of them and one of Barnes/Under. The temptation is to play Madders but this will be a game for Under/Barnes and try to exploit the wings of their back 3. Maddison will play to centrally and get outnumbered. 

I don't care who starts. I don't care what the formation is. 

I hope we:

1- create some good chances over 90 mins and test their keeper

2- Put pressure on the ball high up the pitch 

3- look like a side that had had millions pumped into it

4- get basics right. Corners. Set pieces (both offensive and defensive). Passing and movement 

5- all players showing like they've been disappointed with the results recently. 

• Like 2

Kasper

Justin

Evans

Fofana

Thomas

Ndidi

Tielemans

Praet

Under

Barnes

Vardy

Thats playing Ndidi in  a back 3 or DM in front of Evans & Fofana, Rodgers needs to get the players to give us something to look forward too instead of us dreading the games against these struggling teams... 

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

I’d actually argue the opposite, sometimes when things aren’t going your way, a shithouse 1-0 away win that’s probably a little undeserved can be the spark that sees us go on a run. 
A bit like the out of form striker who gets one in off his arse then goes on a run of goals.

A scrappy 1-0 win can steady the ship before we start the Christmas period.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Although I know what you mean, a win would be just as important to the teams confidence and momentum as losing or drawing but playing really well. How often have we seen any sort of a win after a rough spell then make the team kick on again!

Possibly but for me its too early to be worrying about results. 

Performance, and importantly the reaction from the players will be what Rodgers will be asking for. 

2 hours ago, Shit_arse said:

Totally disagree. The win by any means is the key. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Fofana will put a few minds at rest today with a great performance, this will be an aerial battle which is food and drink for him. Would love a goal from him too after missing a couple of sitters in the last 2 games.

If your Sheff Utd, your going to entice Fofana Into a mistake and play to take advantage of his erratic style of defending.