Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Sheffield United (A) Post match thread 2-1 win

19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Weird one. Had enough close chances, especially hitting the post twice, that calling it shithouse or a smach and grab seems harsh. 

But at the same time, thoroughly lucky. Poor for large, large parts of the game and some baffling decision making all round. 

If we've got genuine ambitions of sustaining this league position, we need to get back to the highs we have reached this season. 

Very good and succinct summary!

There were many other areas of strangeness too, Perez at times the best player on the pitch and scored, but hauled off after 60 despite Maddison being awful and unable to clear the first man off any set piece. But then he came up with the killer pass when we needed it most. Mendy taken off despite playing really well, though Ndidi did well when returning. Nacho had a continual brain fart for as long as he was on the pitch despite having Under and Barnes at our disposal.

Overall though I think we did deserve the win. That corner aside they never looked like scoring in a month of Sundays. But for sure the lack of opportunities we have created in the last 3 games is the biggest worry and surely it's down to the system we play? This time last season we were also riding high, but playing a brilliant brand of football! Maybe it's because we have Ricardo, Ndidi and Castagne all out because Ndidi is so good as a CDM that we can afford to have Tielemans and Maddison play higher up, and Riccy / Timmy are very creative players despite being fullbacks.

But still look at our league position and qualification through to the next round in Europe despite having so many injuries! That's good going even if we do seem fortunate for all that to be true. I'm still on the optimistic bus!

• Like 4

Deserved to win. First half was better but second half we kept persevering and got what we deserved. 

Maddisons worse game in a Leicester shirt but still manages to put Vardy through. 

BTW those saying it's paper overing the cracks.... The cracks are being filled by the players coming back in and also you can't sit top 4 and say this sort of rubbish. Who cares how you get the results... 

Let's not kid ourselves - we got away with one there.

Nowhere near good enough second half, really. I'm pretty sure Brendan will go away thinking everything is fine. No need to look at set pieces, either attacking or defending. Why not carry on with inexplicable zonal marking when defending and letting Maddison take them all and fail to beat the first man every time, except the odd occasion when they beat everyone on either team?

One plus was a good performance by Perez, who for some reason got taken off, while Maddison, who was awful today, stays on. What must Ayoze be thinking now? What sort of message is that sending to all the players?

I won't be surprised to see us shit the bed on Thursday or Sunday. Overall, things aren't going badly, but there are some really worrying signs that our season could crumble, just like last year. In Brendan's defence, there are still a few key players out, but the baffling decisions he makes aren't affected by that. I think he needs to buck his ideas up soon.

9 minutes ago, twister said:

Wilder will be thinking why the **** hasn't egan taken vardy out there

Thats a straight red and probably 2 or 3 match ban. Bare in mind they're missing Ampadu and O'Connell already. They go on to play Southampton, Man United and Brighton in the next 3 games. 2 of those they have a chance of getting a point. 

Absolutely delighted we won.

Felt we started very well and Perez was central to all that. We moved the ball quicker than previous game and we had an urgency which was good to see. Hit the post twice and could have been 2-3 up at half time.

We do have a real problem defending set pieces.  We conceded 2 of them against Liverpool and 1 today (7 for season) so are a soft touch in the air. Think we'll sharpen up with Ndidi and Cags back in.

Second Half sheff United changed tactics and started to press a bit more. We struggled to create but still controlled the game. They barely had a chance of note but we looked lethargic and created little. (Similar to the past how many performances)

The subs were baffling but we've picked up the 3 and Vardy was clinical when we needed to be.

Yes there is some issues but I think these will be rectified when Ricardo and Castagne come back and play in the wing back positions who can drive and run with the ball.

Incredible start really to season and Europe considering the injuries and travel and we've not been our creative best.

I like others feel like we could have even more points than what we do have but which team doesn't feel that .

Edited by TrickyTrevLeftPeg
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, adam said:

Why didn't that centre half foul vardy. Take one for the team 

On the Peacock coverage, Rebecca Lowe asked Robbie Earle that exact question.  Robbie said he would have fouled and taken the red card for the team.

Happy there was no foul...

Followed that on livescore's tracker and avoided this place altogether. I still found myself swearing out loud at work as the ball drew intricate patterns, only to then end up in Sheffield's possession.

I knew we were playing crap, but is there credit to be given to the opposition for setting up to frustrate? I was certainly frustrated and that's, as i said, from just watching a little virtual ball go round in circles with no end result. Until Vardy popped up, that is. :fishing:

Was honestly expecting to see us lose that at the death, so pleasantly surprised. By the sounds of it, my intuition was correct and we were lucky to win that.

10 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

4,000 mile round trip to Ukraine.

Controlled the game v Sheff U.

Switched off once for their goal.

Hit the post twice.

Deserved to win it.

Dramatic last minute winner.

Top 4 in table and already qualified from UEL group, despite missing a stack of key players for most of the season.

CHEER UP FOR FOOK SAKE !!!!!! :scarf:

It was Sheffield United. 1 point from 10 games. They are toilet. We played possessionball against them and rarely threatened. We could very easily have drawn the game. We played appallingly against Fulham and lost. Likewise Zorya, but with weakened team. Liverpool embarrassed us with a third of their team out and we have not been playing well. I'm delighted we won, but I stand by my opinion that we were lucky to win that. 

Edited by Flappit
  • Like 1

This place cracks me up. If you aren’t doing cartwheels at the performance and overall game because we won then you’re not a “real fan” or have “delusions of grandeur” or a “spoilt”. 

Of course everyone is happy about the result (unless you’re a lurking Sheff U fan) but let’s not be blind to that being what should have been a comfortable win after a fantastic first 25 mins (until their goal). 

Positives:

Perez was fantastic, as was Mendy. I thought Youri ticked the ball over well and we were bloody great and moved the ball so fast in the first half that we should have been showing them a clean pair of heels and if we had gotten a second, we would have gone on and got 3 or 4. Evans looked more solid too and Justin played well. Also that blimmin finish from Vards from a good through ball from Madders 

Room for improvement (so people don’t think it’s whinging):

Can we sort set pieces - defending and attacking - just poor all season. Subs were puzzling. I get that Wilf needs mins but not sure the game situation warranted it. Kelechi was also wrong. We were tearing them apart with movement across the lines and using the channels. Barnes or Ünder would have been a good sub, probably for Madders. Perez didn’t look like he was flagging or getting less involved. Whadda finish by Vards (including his Mortal Kombat special move on the flag) but Egan takes him down and different scenario for us all and again on “what could have been” 

Anyway, it’s not what could have been, it’s what was... and we won. So let’s celebrate the win and three points and hope we learn and keep improving. At the end of the day, it’s what we all want, right? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

4,000 mile round trip to Ukraine.

Controlled the game v Sheff U.

Switched off once for their goal.

Hit the post twice.

Deserved to win it.

Dramatic last minute winner.

Top 4 in table and already qualified from UEL group, despite missing a stack of key players for most of the season.

CHEER UP FOR FOOK SAKE !!!!!! :scarf:

It won't happen Geoff. Some fans are so stuck in their mire of misery they won't appreciate 3 points however they come. Yeah we weren't exactly world class today but some of the dross posts in here are worse than the performance. Takes the piss and annoying to read. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

Cant even celebrate that because the three points just hides the fact that we've been crap for a month, were crap today, and will be crap in the immediate future if Rodgers doesn't change his mindset to games.

Wow. If you can’t celebrate a last minute winner, with our greatest ever player doing what he does best, then might be time to pick a different hobby? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

What the fook is wrong with our supporters? 
This is the second or third comment I’ve seen like this! 
What’s the point in watching football if you can’t celebrate your team scoring a last minute winner!

You know when Man united win a game, and we as supporters of other teams laugh a bit because it means that Ole will get time to just just keep on playing his way for another couple of games until he come unstuck again, we are in the same situation as far as I'm concerned.

We played dull negative football which led to defeats to West ham, villa, Fulham and was only two minutes away today from dropping points against the bottom team.

A flukey win today has given licence for Rodgers to keep plodding on with the same boring tactics.

We have Brighton and Eveeton coming up at home and I'd be amazed if we won any of them if we keep setting up how do we.

Edited by kristianity77

Apart from the mental comments like “the result doesn’t matter because the performance was dire” I don’t see how it’s apparently not alright now to be quite clearly elated with the result, but cautious about the performance leading to it.

The first half was good. The second half was poor. We did enough to win the game and the stats prove that - however those types of 2nd half performances won’t do us any favours moving forward, especially against teams who know what they’re doing. Don’t let Sky con you, Sheff United might have showed “heart” and “fight” - but they were abysmal. 

There was a comment that I saw on here before the match that said something like the reactions on here are so one sided either way depending on result. It’s either we’re class and we’re going to win the league when we win, or we’re shite and we’re going to get relegated when we lose. Well we’ve won today but we’ve won ugly and we’ll need to be better than that next week to win again. Consider this somebody finally being measured in victory, rather than OTT. 

• Like 2