Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Sheffield United (A) Post match thread 2-1 win

Just now, reynard said:

Sorry I'm not picking on you directly but on behalf of all those saying this please explain how we were lucky. I don't recall them hitting the post or peppering our goal all match or dominating possession and us not being able to get the ball. I'm not saying we were great but I don't think we were lucky. Our winning goal came from 2 or 3 quality bits of play there was nothing lucky about it. Just because it was in the 90th miunute doesn't mean it was lucky.

As I said I'm not having a personal go at you but on today's perfomance I truly don't think we were lucky.

It's fine, I can take criticism! The winning goal came from an unforced error by them that we capitalised on. Yes, it was good play and yes, you can say we were unlucky to hit the post twice, but we simply didn't create enough. Sheff Utd knew if they attacked us, they'd get hammered by Vardy, so they sat back and let us have the ball. They pressed the ball wide and at that moment you need ambition and quality to break that press. We didn't. We stopped and laid it back, back again, across the pitch and eventually hit an aimless cross to nothing. 

For too long we have been passive against defensive teams. We bought Under to help us break down teams like this and then we persist with Maddison slowing the game down. We can't keep him as a passenger just in case he gets one through ball to Vardy every game. 

For me, we could not have complained about a draw there. 

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Maybe it does paper over the cracks a bit but you can't not love a Jamie Vardy 90th minute winner and then smashes the corner flag to bits! Scenes!! 

Still completely baffled by Brendan but I've expressed my opinion a lot recently so I'm just gonna enjoy the 3 points 

It's perfectly ok to be baffled :) Plenty baffles me too, I promise.

And good for you, enjoy it. 

On the subject of luck...

Our first goal was due to a lucky deflection that landed right in Ayoze's wheelhouse.

Two shots hitting the post were a bit unlucky.

Their goal, no luck, just a strong forward overpowering a midfielder.

The final Vardy goal was good play (both assist and goal), no luck involved.

It all balances out in the end.

1 hour ago, Gold Coast Fox said:

Although I’m obviously happy to win, I fear this is nothing more than papering over the cracks.

Football is Full of cracks...I enjoyed the game..

i said in the Match thread...The forum has lost its balance, we start every Match thread negative & believing we have "The right",

to expect high Ochtane performances....

It was a Good game, we Were Not as passive as last week...Maddison & Tielemans Flight to find gaps & spaces, Not

Yet great, but Quality turned the game....

we were better than this forum betrays....The Negative  is getting monotonous....  If you like you are all better Football

Pundits than me....But many on this forum  are wrong....We have played good,bad,reasonable, Great Football this season..

I for One even After Fulham & Ukrain, After ca 16 games, more Content than frustrated...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Flappit said:

It's fine, I can take criticism! The winning goal came from an unforced error by them that we capitalised on. Yes, it was good play and yes, you can say we were unlucky to hit the post twice, but we simply didn't create enough. Sheff Utd knew if they attacked us, they'd get hammered by Vardy, so they sat back and let us have the ball. They pressed the ball wide and at that moment you need ambition and quality to break that press. We didn't. We stopped and laid it back, back again, across the pitch and eventually hit an aimless cross to nothing. 

For too long we have been passive against defensive teams. We bought Under to help us break down teams like this and then we persist with Maddison slowing the game down. We can't keep him as a passenger just in case he gets one through ball to Vardy every game. 

For me, we could not have complained about a draw there. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think we diverge on what the meaning of luck is but I take your points about us being too passive which I think are valid and we are in quite a few matches.

17 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

What the fook is wrong with our supporters? 
This is the second or third comment I’ve seen like this! 
What’s the point in watching football if you can’t celebrate your team scoring a last minute winner!

Nail on the head Aus Fox!

I’ve reduced posting or reading Foxestalk over the last couple of years, because of the constant negativeness from our so called supporters. All teams go through bad or indifferent patches - when they do they need the supporters behind them even more. When Leicester is struggling our fans just go into melt down and slag off most of the team and manager. This site is getting really bad.

I’m often surprised at the team selection and tactics, but thought today’s was ok. Some real quality in the team.

I’m not a happy clapper, but after 58 years supporting the lads, I don’t expect us to go out and roll over every team. I don’t expect fluid football all the time. I know we’ll have many frustrating games. Make so mistake, Leicester City is my life (keeled over with heart problems three times at matches in 2016! Tottenham away being the most memorable), but real fans offer constructive comments with realism, not knee jerk comments which are now prevalent on a regular basis.

Let’s enjoy a great start to the season, this weekend hasn’t been ruined and with the injured key players returning, we can approach the rest of the season very positively!

• Like 2

It was arduous at times as possession wasn't turned into chances, but we dominated the match, rarely looked threatened, and could have had a couple more but for "fine margins". Perez in particular was excellent, as were Mendy, Evans and Tielemans. Vardy did what Vardy does best. Maddison stood out as hugely frustrating. His reputation is looking more and more like hype. Over a quarter of the season gone and we're just three points off the top. We must be doing something right.

Vardy's legendary status continues to grow! 3 points off the top, qualification for the knockout stages of the Europa League locked up yet Rodgers continues to exasperate. Weird substitutions!? But that discussion is for another day. Vardy bails him out again. Shout out to Maddison for the crucial assist despite a poor performance otherwise.

Edited by SixtiesFox

29 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

4,000 mile round trip to Ukraine.

Controlled the game v Sheff U.

Switched off once for their goal.

Hit the post twice.

Deserved to win it.

Dramatic last minute winner.

Top 4 in table and already qualified from UEL group, despite missing a stack of key players for most of the season.

CHEER UP FOR FOOK SAKE !!!!!! :scarf:

I wasn't being negative believe it or not. 

I would have just liked a better performance. If we would have drawn people would have been going crazy. Vardy scores last minute and it's a great result. 

We can perform better is all 

43 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Haha I love you Rumble and feel free to laugh at me my man. We played a team with no confidence and 1 point from 9 games. 

It's taken a last minute winner to beat a team that could barely string 2 passes together. We continue playing like we did in the last 2 league games and we will drop a lot of points

Haha I understand what you mean but we dominated them and won and look at the table. These are good times. By god as a club we’ve had some shite teams so I’m just enjoying this all while I can x 

• Like 3

Rogers must do all he does on Matchdays on his laptop at home the night before. 
Does he not see what we see? 
Does he not see JM10 taking set pieces each time and think to mix it up a bit?

Does he not see KS1 rooted to his goal line for 90% of the opposing teams attempts on goal?

Nice 3 points but this nowhere near gets him off the hook he has been on for a few weeks. 
He might well be liked by all who he has working with him but feck me, he is so non plussed to what goes on in that pitch on match day. 

After the Liverpool, Fulham and Zorya defeats and conceding 3 at Braga, 3 points today is nothing to be sniffed at even if we did make it hard work after an outstanding first 25mins. There was enough on show today to justify the win. We were generally more creative, particularly in the first half, and conceded fewer chances and managed their break better without conceding loads of ground behind the wing backs. 

Thank **** for Vardy, in the end we only needed to carve out one chance for him and it was enough. Hopefully the last minute win today lifts our game and we can kick on from this dip into the Christmas period.

46 minutes ago, Flappit said:

This ^^^

The BAMs will be saying "but we're third..." as if that exonerates what went before. Fluking a win doesn't excuse the performance(s) of late. 

Not sure what a BAM is, we all have opinions but the league position is literally the benchmark for where we are.  You can't be third by accident and there is no argument against it.

The performance wasn't great but I'm not sure that many teams look good against The Blades and personally I particularly enjoy ugly wins with last minute winners.  

Some people are saying that we were lucky as if last minute goals shouldn't count.  I think we were unlucky.  We hit the post twice and the referee shamefully hid away from sending their player off.

Good to see Perez having a good game and Justin continues to grow into becoming a really good PL player.  Set pieces, both defensively and offensively, an obvious concern.

• Like 2

I think the vast majority would agree that we can play better. I also think, as other wise heads have said already, that we're coping with 2 games a week with injuries to some of our finest, inexperience, and some loss of form.

No it isn't wonderful to watch right now, yet we're into the last 32 in Europe and there are 21 points on the board. It could be so much worse.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LCFCABC said:

I wasn't being negative believe it or not. 

I would have just liked a better performance. If we would have drawn people would have been going crazy. Vardy scores last minute and it's a great result. 

We can perform better is all 

This is where I am.

My "wins a win" comment was meant to be a positive and "I'll gladly take it" if you will.

However it papers over alot of cracks, do people honestly disagree with that? As you say if we'd have drawn this thread would have been a lot different, thankfully we got the winner, let's celebrate it but whilst it can't be ignored at the same time.

• Like 2