Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Crystal Palace 1-1 LCFC - Post Match Thread

Obviously disappointed we didn’t win, but considering the changes we made I thought we did well. Amarty and Mendy did well, Barnes is fast becoming our go to man. We really need a proven second striker In January. I hope we don’t make the same mistake as last  year by not strengthening in January - go and get quality striker. Overall if we win against Newcastle next week, I think this would be good festive period for us. 🏆🏆🏆

The issue wasn’t the lineup - That game was very winnable with the players we had on the pitch.  That said it’s a particularly annoying loss* because it took a combination of all factors. 

squad rotation - we most likely win that game with Jamie starting

Missed Pen - not sure how as a backup striker you watch Vardy take pens the last couple years and don’t just run up and smash it. He gets so nervous, it’s kind of sad. 

The goal conceded was very very poor all around. 

and of course you don’t want to make excuses but VAR not looking at that elbow is also pretty annoying. 

any one of the above would have been enough to tilt the result for us IMO. But - loss would’ve been worse. 

Evans Amartey JJ Mendy were good. Evans in particular seemed much improved over recent performances. 

Perez was anonymous which is disappointing - think I forgot he was playing til that last chance. 

* goes to show my mindset that I said loss instead of draw

Edited by Bats8711
  • Like 1

Mergh, tricky to break that one down - Kelechi gets the two goals he should have done and we're all purring over Rodgers' excellent squad management. First time he didn't have the ball under his feet in three and a half years with us and he came up with that penalty. I know some footballers thrive off confidence but it's to such an extent with him it seems a huge road block to him ever becoming a half decent top-flight striker. You can't be that mentally weak.

Amartey was decent, Mendy was alright. First half I thought Perez looked good but he faded badly in the second, as did virtually everyone. Desperately need to start keeping clean sheets against sides like this. Kasper turned into a bloody geriatric ghost for their goal after a decent couple of games against Spurs / United.

Barnes is starting to dig us out a Vardy-esque number of times and essentially showed why he's liked. Not having the best day but still conjured up *something*.

Gray is still absolutely Robert Stain.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I'm sorry mate but he added 0. I genuinely can't think of 3 passages of play he was involved in. Praet did the best work on that side with Justin in the first half. 

Fair play. I probably overreacted with "good" but I think out of the attackers only Barnes was any better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Only you would partly blame Amartey for the goal.

It was going to come. I’m sure I mentioned our positioning (and certainly Amartey’s) after the missed Zaha chance 

If you want to continue with that defence be my guest

But we’ll lose more than we win 

We’ve just thrown away a game we should have bossed

• Like 1

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Pick the better players, get the job done and then bring on frauds like Nacho

The better players who played two days ago? Like I asked in the match thread, what if they don't "get the job done"?  0-0 at 65 minutes would you be fine BR taking off vardy etc? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KFS said:

Ok I’m going to be that asshole... what does Praet bring? 

He’s obviously a good footballer but I really struggle to see where he fits in. He doesn’t really excel anywhere other than being solid in most places across the middle. He’s not going to replace YT but don’t think quick enough or have enough pace to play as a 10 really, against top sides anyway 

Edited by bfox

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

The biggest plus out of today? No more crappy Amazon streams for this season. I'd certainly want more for my £7.99 that the crap picture i've seen during our 3 games that have been streamed.

Watching on Amazon prime on large screen TV the picture has been superb in every match I’ve seen?

• Like 3

for me mendy was fantastic today everywhere, justin looked tired, thomas had a poor second half but never trying. Amarty was ok

the finishing is a serious worry outside of vardy its a recourring theme over two years

If vardy doesnt score or maddison doesnt bang one in from 30 yards where do the goals come from

when vardy retires...gulp.

Over management. Sports science nonsense. Those of us old enough to remember the great Leeds and Liverpool sides of the seventies and eighties know that the same eleven picked itself, played all season, played in Europe, played more games around Christmas than they do now, played cup replays etc. There's no need to tinker as much as Rogers does. Really strange decision to play Gray, when he's said he has no future. He did the same with a one-off appearance from Slimani.  It's over management because he can. 

On an individual basis I thought Mendy was outstanding. His passing was as good as his tackling, and he covered so much ground. Amartey was solid as well. However, just play your strongest side.

• Haha 1

Just now, StanSP said:

Not sure it would have been comfortable given Palace changed their game too. 

If Youri and Vardy start in the first half then I'm sure we win the game. But hindsight is a wonderful thing! 

I am sure.

They were bound to have a bit of a renaissance as they couldn't possibly have played worse than they did in the first half. Then they saw Iheanacho walk back onto the pitch and got a confidence boost so scoring first was inevitable. Vardy and Tielemans walk out and they curl up into the foetal position.

2 minutes ago, Stephen Hughes said:

I don’t know. Maybe they would have rested a few more against United and played a few more today. 

Not looking for an argument but its frustrating that Rodgers took one look at Palaces recent form and decided to rip the team to pieces in the name of resting. It wouldnt have happened against a bigger team and weve come away from arguably the poorest side weve played this year with a point.

I understand he wants to rest players but go out kill the game off quickly then take them off? 🤷‍♀️ They have a longer rest now until the next game. Momentum is important. Choudhary and Kelechi should not be starting any premier league games!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Because the shape of the game worked in our favour in first half. Palace changed their shape and approach and it contained us, restricted us so we didn't have as much freedom on the ball. Compare their pressure in first half and second half and you'd see why. 

Now there could be a fair argument that our players and Rodgers would need to react accordingly but it's easier said than done. Some players need to step up hugely, both senior regulars and those who don't play as often. I agree we need to take our chances. For months, maybe longer, I've said that when Kelechi plays - as sub or starter - he needs to take his chance. He didn't and he had a couple of good opportunities, the best being the penalty obviously. 

This exactly. Palace changed their style very slightly second half. Came forward a bit more. In those situations you need players to just be a bit cute not wholesale, three sub changes. You want your out of form centre forward to just hold the ball up. Get some passes together. Instead, ball bounces off him or, even worse, he doesn’t challenge for it.