Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
King of Gipsy Lane

Will we finish in the Top 4

Will we finish in top 4 ?   

568 members have voted

1. 1. Top 4 finish for the City ?

Just now, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Think 9 or 10 is unlikely but definitely what we should be aiming for. 

I don't see any reason why we can't. Arsenal are poor. Burnley are just..... Burnley. Brighton depends if they turn up or not. and Sheffield United are just shite 

I'd prioritise 2 things

1) Top 4 - Champions league, more revenue, more scope for continuing to build-up the club to consistently challenge for the top honours

2) Europa League - Winning it gets Champions League

FA cup? - two washers and nut.. it's has no particular value or kudos today (that's just my opinion and respect the fact others may differ)

Hate the look of our last 3 games though..

Man U (away)

Chelsea (away)

Spurs (Home) 

9 points there which could easily decide our top 4 fate

On a positive spin, we could be competing with any of those 3 for a top 4 spot, so could become a "6 pointer" that we are more than capable of winning

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Man U (away)

Chelsea (away)

Spurs (Home) 

On a positive spin, we could be competing with any of those 3 for a top 4 spot, so could become a "6 pointer" that we are more than capable of winning

By that point of the season, we will be more than 9 points ahead of 5th place :fc:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Man U (away)

Chelsea (away)

Spurs (Home) 

We took 7 points from the reverse fixture this season.

If we carry on as we are it will be all over by then.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Man U (away)

Chelsea (away)

Spurs (Home) 

Man U will already have a Champions League place in the bag and can't catch Man City

Spurs will be mid table with nothing to play for.

Only Chelsea might be still playing for CL places like us.

Alternatively, like another poster has said, we could have it all wrapped up by the time we play Man U.

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We took 7 points from the reverse fixture this season.

If we carry on as we are it will be all over by then.

I think the crunch match is West Ham honestly. If we win that it’s done.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Man U (away)

Chelsea (away)

Spurs (Home) 

Highly likely United and Spurs will have nothing to play for. Rather that than coming up against anyone fighting for their lives. Chelsea is a bad fixture to have at that time in theory though.

On 16/02/2021 at 04:08, deanolegend1989 said:

People saying ‘I don’t mind if we miss out on CL’ need to get some ambition.

We NEED CL football to have any chance of keeping our prime assists and in turn having a good chance to progress. The financial backing it would also give to attract new players and help finance our stadium increasing in size all would be moving in the right direction.

It really is crucial we get top 4. To miss out on it again would be a disaster from here. Liverpool and Chelsea will both need huge runs to get above 70 points, they are unlikely to BOTH do that.

So we need 24 points from 14 games(7/3/4) record. If we do that and it’s not enough then fair enough, but if we suddenly drop out PPG so much and ‘bottle it’ then there is no excuse.

This is where we need to finish off our job. No trophies and no top 4 is a failure despite how well we’ve done up till now.

Top 4/Both trophies - Arguably our best ever season.

Top 4/1 trophy - 2nd best ever season.

Top 4/No trophies - Great season.

Fa cup/No top 4 - Success but ultimately disappointed.

5th or below AND no trophy - failure.

A Normal season I would agree ....I Dont Think its Lack of ambition, but recognition this extraordinary season...with Chronic long Term injuries, in a squad

Built on financial restraint, and then the all round  Covid situation, compounded by the various sport, and individual tasking covid-bubbles..

Within even a more compressed season...with all organisations-authority Ignorance wanting their greedy Pound of flesh, Nomatter what..!!!

In a normal season, every player,with high Ambition playing for a Top in Form club, should and would be expecting to Play 55-60 games...

Different Performance delivery if returning from, or nursing a difficult long Term injury....

Ndidi, Amartey,Riccardo,Maddison,Soyuncu,Praet,Castagna,Vardy, Plus  niggles like Fuchs, Perez, Evans,Morgan.

until Justins, & Praets injuries, I wouldnt Think that Justins  nor Tielemans ,Barnes actual gametime was normally  anything to worry about...

But this season aint normal..!!

still basically & generally agree with your post...

I believe because of This extraordinary season...:-

Top 4/Both trophies - would be our best ever season. would mean European trophy. With an injury hit squad..!!  Games-played Damn marvellous achievement..!

Top 4/1 trophy - 2nd best ever season. IMO equal to Our best season...

Top 4/No trophies - Great season.....Yes

Fa cup/No top 4 - Success but ultimately disappointed....Yes

5th or below AND no trophy - failure yes/no...depending if we take injury Hits in  further major Player positions, Or Top player reoccuring injuries, Or not..!!

23 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Man U (away)

Chelsea (away)

Spurs (Home) 

if we were in a relegation scrap i agree, but we could be fighting for a champions league place, personally i would be delighted if that was the case, its like we should be worried about them ; let them worry about us

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

At this point last season we had a 12 point gap to 5th and we still lost out by 4 points.  Our gap at the moment is 6 points.

Still a loooooong way to go before we can start thinking about the Champions League again.

Exactly this. It really is a case of one game at a time. Each win is simply massive right now. if you want to make predictions I'd say that 23 more points would definitely do it. That would give us 72 points. To match or better that many sides below us would have to win almost every game they play. For me it is about winning those matches we start favourites in to win and at least not losing to those sides closest to us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

We should be able to get 9 points out of the next four games which would leave us very close to a top 4 finish.

The big worry I have for top 4 is not Liverpool or Chelsea but West Ham ,They have a big strong physical team and are playing really well.

Their next set of immediate fixtures (WHU’s) are incredibly tough. If they’re still near us after the next 5-8 games then respect, they deserve top four. I don’t think they will be though. 

• Like 1

Fatigue and injuries are still a huge concern and could result in a drop off even though we look much more resilient than last year. Assuming we make it through on Thursday we will be playing midweek games until the international break at the end of March. The likes of Youri and Barnes look v tired in the second half yesterday and not sure when they will get any rest with the fixtures ahead and lack of back up in those positions. Rodgers may have to take a risk in resting them in certain games, which may require a change in system / formation to accommodate the change in personnel. 

If we can avoid too many injuries and nail the squad rotation, I think we'll end up on somewhere between 68-73 points, which caters for some surprise points dropped.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I must say, I see little reason for not going for 12 points from the next 4 games - but 9/10 would be fine.

I was saying similar last week before the Liverpool game. I thought if we come out the next two with 4 points that would be a great return especially with an away Europa tie in the middle. So to come out with 6 from 6 is amazing. 

• Like 4

We have 13 games left.  If we win 8 and lose 5, we'll do it.

Every game is massive but we have given ourselves a brilliant chance.

Burnley, Brighton, Sheff Utd, WBA, Palace, Southampton and Newcastle are all games we should be winning.  Do that, and we'll need 3 points from Arsenal, Man City, West Ham, Man U, Chelsea and Spurs.

Honestly think the two Manchester clubs and us will make the top 3.  Chelsea and West Ham to battle for 4th.  If Liverpool are going to do it, they need to turn their form around very very soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

Man U (away)

Chelsea (away)

Spurs (Home) 

I feel a lot less nervous about the Chelsea and Spurs games now than I did at the start of the year.

Not expecting any favours from the Man United game but at the moment can’t see why we can’t get a decent result from Chelsea or Spurs.

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Highly likely United and Spurs will have nothing to play for. Rather that than coming up against anyone fighting for their lives. Chelsea is a bad fixture to have at that time in theory though.

You see..!!  Only small clubs Think so.  Real Top Teams Play to win....No matter what, & do not depend on such wasted phrases, 'nothing to Play for'

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

Man U (away)

Chelsea (away)

Spurs (Home) 

I remember when the 15/16 fixtures came out and that summer we agonised over having ManU (a), Everton (h) and Chelsea (a) to finish the season and hopefully we wouldn't need many points from them to avoid relegation.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I remember when the 15/16 fixtures came out and that summer we agonised over having ManU (a), Everton (h) and Chelsea (a) to finish the season and hopefully we wouldn't need many points from them to avoid relegation.....

We got 5 points from that didn’t we? That would be tidy at the end of this season too!