Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 1-3 Arsenal - Post Match Thread

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I know it probably wouldn’t make a massive massive difference. But you have to question why Two teams that played Thursday kick off at 12pm and two teams that haven’t played since last Saturday play at 7?

Different companies, I suppose. Aren't these games sold in packages?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Well I’d happily say it is an excuse for sub-par performances. Having that excuse doesn’t change the fact you have to find a way through and still get the job done but it clearly is a factor. If you don’t think that the number of injuries, almost on a conveyor belt, players playing when they’re not fully fit, players being rushed back, the same players having to play the sheer number of minutes in a short space of time isn’t a significant factor in being a bit lacklustre, then you’re simply wrong.

Ultimately, you have to turn up on the day with whatever hand you have but today was ridiculous asking two teams to play at 12 a couple of days after a European fixture. Arsenal were fortunate to have more options to rotate than us but for both teams it was absolutely ludicrous. 

Well we've not really done much about that in terms of strength in depth for the past few summers have we now, we probably have the most depth we've ever had but it's still far from enough and always has been, i've said it every summer for quite a while now.

As for the second point, atleast we don't have that excuse going forward, god knows what the excuses for not landing a glove in the two legs were though.

Edited by Matt

2 minutes ago, lcfc cowboys said:

Yeah but had 2 loans out for 100million training ground.you ask fans what they would rather have a 100 million on the training ground or a 100 million transfer and wage for players to keep challenging at the top and really upsetting the big 6 .I know which I would rather have

I think the training ground may be a sign that our main source of players will now be through development. Some seem to have the idea that the training ground itself will attract world class quality signings, even if that were true sadly we don't have the money required to sign them.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

seriously - give heads a wobble ......... they have been a shambles for a while but they have a top six squad.  A decent manager would have them competing ..... 

they pressed us - wouldn’t allow us to play slow ......

There was a point at I think 1-1 where we played it around the midfield and the back line a fair bit, might have been before iheacho went for the 30 yarder. As soon as they had the goal kick we  jist went straight back onto the 18 yard line. They pressed us high around our own penalty area but we allowed them to be that high with aimless hoofs back to them 

6 minutes ago, lcfc cowboys said:

Yeah but had 2 loans out for 100million training ground.you ask fans what they would rather have a 100 million on the training ground or a 100 million transfer and wage for players to keep challenging at the top and really upsetting the big 6 .I know which I would rather have

And that’s why you are not the owner of a multi billion pound company  with  a secure future in trying time and they are. 

• Like 1

We were gifted an early goal then instead of pressing the advantage we sat deep and invited them onto us, anyone could see what would happen and it did.

I don't buy into this oh the players are tired bollox either, they are professional athletes with top drawer facilities and physio team. 

We did show more energy in the second half but our first touches were poor and far too many passes went astray.

For all todays failings however it was nothing compared to seeing Harvey being carried off, it looked very similar to JJ's injury sincerely hope I'm wrong.

I think the biggest positive if we drop out the top 4/6 is that we're another step away from getting more of the 'modern Arsenal fan' support us.

It is what it is, unfortunately. You can't legislate for that amount of injuries to key players. If Tielemans goes next then we could always ask the PL if we can declare the final games and see where our our 49 points get us and give 'em a few months off before football as we know it (hopefully) returns. 

Went through the gamut of emotions today. Elated when Tielemans scored, angry that we then sat back and invited Arsenal back into the game, an invitation they gratefully accepted, then gutted to see Harvey go down with what is almost certainly a season-ending injury. Rodgers needs to be braver - there is a pattern of passivity that is worrying. When you have a team down go for the jugular and at least go down fighting. Of greater concern is our catastrophic injury list which can't be solely down to bad luck. The fact that we didn't strengthen in January is a lesson we clearly didn't learn from last season. If money is the excuse then there were players available to loan that would have been useful. Top 4 is unlikely now as our team is mentally and physically shot but at the very least I hope that Brendan has the guts to allow the players he still has at his disposal to at least go down fighting. As fans that is something we can get behind. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Shamomoa said:

Cant put it all on rodgers tbh, players again didn't look up for it. (After our goal anyway) and once barnes got injured I think the players heads had gone a bit tbh and that was game over. Just a bad day all round tbh need to move on

It's Rodgers' job to motivate then, not just pick the team.

His tactics were wrong, and playing a raw kid at full back when we have one of the league's best full backs playing as a winger is the very definition of round pegs in square holes.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

I do think the players are feeling the fixtures now. Saw a number clutching their thighs during the game. Could be because of the manner of the performance, but could also be a sign of how much this season is taking its toll.

With the number of injuries we have rotation has been minimal to say the least.

Seeing Barnes and Evans go off injured (the latest in a long line) is just going to compound the issue.

Hoping they both make very speedy recoveries.

The one silver lining is I saw an interview with BR where it seems like a few might be back in full training next week so let's hope they aren't too far off a return.

I think we have to realise players aren't going to be able to run about all game giving 100% because they don't have a full tank going into the match. Whatever happens we can't afford even more injuries.

We have (on paper) some easier fixtures coming up. Here's hoping we can give a few players a rest (even if its just coming off early).

• Like 1

I think what annoyed me most from Brendans post match was he said something along the lines of "Obviously we knew Arsenal would have more of the ball than us.." and I can't help but feel that that is part of the problem we have when it comes to mentality at this club currently. Why should we know that Arsenal would have more of the ball than us? On paper our midfield was more than a match up for them. 

Just strikes me as annoyingly negative and defeatist which was sadly then reflected on the pitch

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

His tactics were wrong, and playing a raw kid at full back when we have one of the league's best full backs playing as a winger is the very definition of round pegs in square holes.

Might be if he didn't actually start his career as a winger, so I wouldn't say that's the case. 

The last 25 minutes against villa last weekend and both games since, Our play has been sluggish, A lack of confidence in possession, Evan's and cags standing on the ball looking for someone to pass to today kept happening,  slows us down and allows the opposition to set up defensively. Worrying times ahead with the players out Injured.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Glorious Leicester Fan said:

Earlier this week, I read a couple of articles that explained how Leicester have morphed into the ‘Big Six’.  I’m sorry, but a ‘Big Six’ doesn’t get themselves in a position where their  RW/ST/LW/AM positions are dependent on:

A:  a Single Player

B: a out of position makeshift option

C: on players who the manager doesn’t rate. 

In doing so, some of our injuries become  inevitable. Whether it’s fair or accurate, the brunt of the responsibility fall at the managers feet. What’s worst, is that it’s was completely predictable. 

I'm sure 8th placed Tottenham and 10th place Arsenal managers are thrilled with their squad. 6th placed Liverpool have coped well with their injuries of late. 

We aren't "big six" they are big six because of money and not what they do on the pitch. But we are and have been a top 6 team for some time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

We were gifted an early goal then instead of pressing the advantage we sat deep and invited them onto us, anyone could see what would happen and it did.

I don't buy into this oh the players are tired bollox either, they are professional athletes with top drawer facilities and physio team. 

We did show more energy in the second half but our first touches were poor and far too many passes went astray.

For all todays failings however it was nothing compared to seeing Harvey being carried off, it looked very similar to JJ's injury sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Its not physical tireness so much as muscle tiredness. 

They are professional athletes. Of course they have stamina to run for 90 minutes twice a week.

But like you saw with Harvey today and so many other of our players this season, if you're not giving the body time to heal you're going to get injuries.

If you cant rotate due to the large injury list, players have to find a way of protecting themselves against injury by sometimes taking the foot off the gas. 

As a supporter its very frustrating to watch, especially when we know how good we can be, but when you consider the personal we've already got injured and the congested fixture list, something has to give or that injury list will just keep growing.