Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

On 17/04/2021 at 17:21, Ric Flair said:

I don't think it would be much different if it wasn't a pandemic, we are accustomed to tasting success and demand more of it without grasping just how difficult that is to achieve. I've been guilty of it myself but bottom line there's no other club that's done what we've done in the modern era and it's a privilege to support this team.

I'm desperate for the FA Cup win, more so than CL qualification, even though I appreciate for the progression of the club that the latter is more important.

FA cup win absolutely no question, the reasoning for CL qualification is the money will help us win things, would you rather have money to help you win things, or to actually win things.

Lets take e.g. us and Spurs in the past 5 years.

In previous 5 seasons we have won a league title, had 1 season in CL, and 1 season in europa.

Spurs have won nothing, had 4 seasons in CL and 1 in europa.

I would take our last 5 years over them no question.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 4

Just now, OhYesNdidi said:

They’re not winning the champions league lol

I never suggested they were - it's just a permutation that is still possible as it stands. Similarly I can't see Arsenal winning the EL, but it still is possible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

FA cup win absolutely no question, the reasoning for CL qualification is the money will help us win things, would you rather have money to help you win things, or to actually win things.

In previous 5 seasons we have won a league title, had 1 season in CL, and 1 season in europa.

Yeah but that’s because we won the LEAGUE, not the FA Cup. I would absolutely love to win the FA Cup but if someone told me now ‘we achieve 1 of them’ I’d hope it was the top 4.

Getting top 4 will help keep our players and add depth to the squad. We will be far more likely to maintain our upward trajectory and far more likely to go far in cups next season.

An FA Cup win is nice but long term it won’t help us. We could lose key assets and lose out on millions from CL qualification. Then next season we are stuck with a weaker squad and a smaller squad with less money to build and playing in the EL.

Obviously its not either or and it should be both. If we do both it can really put us on the map as a serious club and can be the start of a super strong era.

Much as the title win was unbelievable, I’d love to look back on our era as more than just ‘remember when Leicester won that freak league’. Getting in CL again and another bit of major silverware can really build us as a serious club and not just a fairy story, so anything less from here than ‘the double’ would be a tinge of disappointment.

• Like 4

Listening to interviews I'm sure the club are treating each game as a final. I would expect at least one of the chasing teams probably Liverpool to make a decent run and we are going to need 3rd place to be sure in case Arsenal surprise everyone and take the Europa. Thought Brendan looked really focussed against WBA not happy with 3 0 at half time looks like he means business this year.

13 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Yeah of course you would as we have a league title in there. Take that out of the equation and we’d prefer to be in Spurs position of regularly qualifying for the Champions League. 

If you swapped our league title for the FA cup, would you still say the same? I suspect you would (and tbf I probably would too) but I think that is because I’m taking into account our respective trajectories.

If it was a straight choice for this season (considering what happened last season), I think I would take CL over FA cup. 

21 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

We need 9 from the next 3.

Nah, 7 will be fine, then we'll only need 1 win in the final 3 games.

14 hours ago, reynard said:

I agree. Really need 3rd place as 4th might not be enough this year. I think Liverpool will  all their remaining matches.

People have been saying this about Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool for 6 weeks nowlol Highly unlikely, they'll drop 2 or 3 points at some point.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I don't understand the panic regarding the last 3 fixtures, we took 7 points from those fixtures earlier in the session.

People are acting as if we are certain to lose all 3. 

Spot on, no reason we can't get 3-6 points from those games, we're ahead of them in the table on merit. Hopefully we'll have Barnes back for it as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I don't understand the panic regarding the last 3 fixtures, we took 7 points from those fixtures earlier in the session.

People are acting as if we are certain to lose all 3. 

Definitely. We’ve drawn against Man United in the league and beat them well in the cup. By the time we’ve played them they should have secured second and possibly a Europa League final, so may want to rest sone players.

Spurs can be hot and cold. We also played very well when we beat them at their place. Hopefully they will drop off closer towards the end of the season, but if Kane’s out there’s no reason why we can’t get a draw or better.

I fear Chelsea the most as they are a different beast under Tuchel, but West Brom showed they weren’t unbeatable and there are weaknesses. We absolutely have everything to play for and these games aren’t as scary as the last 3 from last season were. 

• Like 1

If Liverpool beat Newcastle, and it looks like they will, their maximum points tally is 71 points. Only one of Chelsea and West Ham can get 73 points, the other only 70 points. Therefore we need 72 points to be certain of finishing in the top 4.

If we don't get 9 from the next 3 games, the pressure will be enormous. Cross fingers time. 

2 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

I fear Chelsea the most as they are a different beast under Tuchel

I don't fear Chelsea. I've seen them a lot under Tuchel and they have gone back to typical Mourinho/Conte Chelsea - get jammy results by boring the opposition to tears. They are nothing without Kante and even with him I think they lack balance right the way through the team. If we play as well as we can do we beat them

• Like 3