Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Frank Large's Black Book

Under's Over?

He has also been unlucky with injuries but if I remember correctly this was an issue with him at Roma too. Bags of talent, needs to relax and stop trying too hard and sort his fitness out. I do think that when a player is playing with a tension they become more prone to injury than when relaxed and flowing.

it becomes a viscous circle. Need to impress, try too hard, get tense, get injured. Then out for while, time running out, back to the start again.

All  that said he has not done enough to cement the deal as yet unless he is still progressing and settling in in training.

• Like 2

provided us with some cameos of his obvious talent. Especially the movement and square ball to vardy for the winner at arsenal and the volley in Europe. 

But I just never seemed to click. I think you could read between the lines and say this wasn't a signing Rodgers was massively keen on from the start. 

Oh well if it's not too be we could probably attract slightly better now especially with the new training ground and fingers crossed champions league football. 

• Like 1

lollol

This thread. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

My thoughts from last October - 

On 04/10/2020 at 17:25, Line-X said:

Absolutely agree - too early to judge. But just like Inler, Iborra or Silva there also seems to be this irrational assumption among many on here that he's the second coming before he's even so much as kicked a football in the Premier League. The expectations built up on here are absurd sometimes - based upon very little. I don't expect this signing to amount to much and that he'll offer much more than Ghezzal at this level - despite the first season at Roma and the promising potential that many pundits speak of. But like his early critics and conversely, those that think he's the next Messiah, I have no basis for that as of yet aside from his recent form and the fact that this is a very challenging league to play in. Time will tell. I hope he settles in quickly and I wish him all the very best. 

Disappointingly it wasn't to be -  but amusing when you look back on that thread how few shared my, albeit mere conjecture, compared with some of the comments on this forum now. 

On 04/10/2020 at 19:51, Line-X said:

I don't think he'll be a great player for us and we'll probably move him on in a few seasons. I have little to base that on and I hope that I am proved wrong - but then similarly I couldn't understand all the hype and excitement surrounding his signing. I do agree though, we must give him a chance. 

I was indeed wrong - declined to buy, gone by the end of his loan period. Whatever happens now, I wish him well. 

Still stand by my opinion (nothing more) that the much revered Thauvin is not in fact the next Garrincha that some on here purport him to be - and that he would be similarly ineffective in the Premier League and likewise Brendan Rodgers long term plans. Again, happy to be proved wrong. 

1 minute ago, LanguedocFox said:

Strange one, isn’t it. I’ve seen him play a few times and thought “maybe, just maybe”. Which is more or less what I thought about Nacho until a few months ago.

I thought that about Gray for about four years until I eventually had to concede it was: “maybe not” 

• Haha 3

Puns in this thread aside, unfortunately, whilst Mr. Ünder has plenty of talent, skill and pace, he simply doesn't work hard enough to have a role in this Rodgers team. 

Maddison alluded to it previously - it's the reason why Albrighton consistently gets in ahead of Ünder in the same role.

I still hope that it can change by the end of the season but, let's face it, it would have already happened by now if it was looking likely in training. 

4 hours ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

We paid good money for Soy and it took him a season to adapt  should we give Under the same chance

Terrible logic.

Why even bother getting him on loan if we were just going to buy him anyway regardless of performances?

In our usual 4-2-3-1 formation we have 10 outstanding players and a RW slot that needs filling. Whoever plays RW is the least best player in our side, our new RW doesn't even need to be one of the best players in the side, he just needs to not been undoubtedly the 11th best in the side. Under doesn't improve the squad let alone the team on the evidence we have seen from him this season. It's great that we've had a look at a player who has lost his way after being one the best young prospects in Europe only a few years a go and all it costs us with a €3m loan fee and a year's salary but as Bocelli sang at the KP, time to say goodbye.

• Like 1

Maybe it’s a ploy to get the price down, Rodgers tells him to play erratic but get a couple of decent goals, go back to Roma and say ‘thanks but no thanks’ Roma are short on funds for new players next season and obviously don’t want Under, we then offer €10 million to take him off their hands, great bit of work as Cengiz has a brilliant 2nd season like Soyuncu has. :thumbup:

If Carlsberg did football transfers hey folks. :scarf:

I sense there is more of a problem with application rather than talent.

BR has seen more of him in a handful of training sessions than we have all season and it’s  possible that he does not train as well as BR would like.

Speaks volumes that Albrighton was getting picked ahead of him. Just goes to show that a moment of magic is great but consistency and work rate will always win the battle.

All that being said, if in the last couple of months he gets his head down, works hard and produces when required I wouldn’t say no to taking him on a cut price deal (what we could fetch for Ghezzal) 

I was really excited on his arrival both by his obvious talent that required rekindling or re-nurturing and genuinely thought this would be the club and the manager for him to make that happen.

Firstly, in my opinion he hasn't taken his chances when they have come. Whilst competent on the ball he's like others have said tried so hard to impress and come on and both deliver a winner but dribbling into trouble, taking on too many defenders and getting stripped of the ball at key moments when other options would have seemingly been better, or taking long range pot shots that simply don't come off maybe like they do on the training ground for him.

That said - you always feel that there's a player in there that will find form and confidence at some point but we can't pay upward of £20 million quid hoping it might come out at some juncture.

BR talks a lot about 'coachability' this concept of players being able to listen, comprehend, interpret and deliver his formulas, tactics, phases and interchanges in play, game management etc. on the pitch. It's clear whilst he recognised Gray as a talent he felt him 'uncoachable' at this level in terms of employing his styles of play - the fact that Under clearly too has a talent but now he won't even trust him when we are literally desperate for a player to play in that position due to injury, it makes me wonder if he simply feels like this about Under too.

• Like 3

Wish him well for his career but no great loss imho. He's never looked fully fit to me and for all his talent, a poor decision-maker. It says a lot about the quality of our current side that he's just not good enough for us right now.