Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

If this goes as badly as it could and indeed these six clubs breakaway and ultimately ditch the Premier League to get their new pots of gold then really there is only one answer left - and ironically football has already shown this can work wheareas in very few other areas it would.

im talking about Wimbledon/AFC Wimbledon - in effect the fans of these clubs could set up their own teams at the bottom of the Pyramid and with their fan bases and financial clout they would make their way back up the leagues with no issues.

Yes short term the Premier League would suffer a cash loss, but we could adjust and ironically it wouldn’t be such a bad thing if there wasn’t so much money, the game would go back to a more purer form.

They also then would own their clubs and not have these toxic owners at the helm. (Who otherwise they could never get rid of) By investing their money over there the original clubs will be starved of money domestically (sadly internationally there might be enough clout to keep them going, hopefully the reaction here will show the world how this isn’t on and not to support it) - not to mention there is always when greed is in the equation the chance for this all to implode somewhere down the line when clubs like Arsenal and United are always bottom, greed does lead to more greed. 

Long term this scenario could see these “Phoenix” versions of the Big Six owned by their own fans back in the Premier League - and in the time this happens you never know the other lot could have gone completely tits up - leading to a quick fire sale of their assets to the new formed clubs and Volla everyone wins. A longer term vision but just came to me, ultimately football is one of the few things where the fans really do have the power to make their clubs worthless. 

• Thanks 1

Without the possibility of relegation there isn’t anywhere near as much excitement. The Aussie A League has no relegation, and I’d argue it’s that more than anything that makes it relatively dull, far more so than the quality of the football. Losing really doesn’t matter much.

I certainly won’t be bothering to watch the new cartel. Hopefully there’ll still be a way to watch City play, here down under, and I’m not really bothered if that doesn’t include matches with the greedy six.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

It's easy to say it wont happen (and I dont think it will) but some irreparable damage has been done here. 

Firstly, from clubs to turn on their fans. The slyness of doing this whilst they can't attend a match, simply stinks. The managers are being hung out to dry and answer some tough questions, without being able to challenge their club's motive. 

UEFA, FIFA and the Premier League are the last people I feel sorry for, but this will surely damage things going forward. We've heard of threats and project big picture but the clubs posting their statements of joining the Super League was a pretty big deal.

It'll probably end with the clubs having more of a say, which is actually worse than them ****ing off. Even if this plan falls flat on its face, I hope fans never forget that they've tried to ring-fence European football.

Edited by RonnieTodger

6 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

FIFA, UEFA, The FA and the Premier League have created these monsters. They're all responsible and now they're shocked that their creations are wreaking havoc. 

This day has been coming for a long, long time.

When Scudamore gave to much on his exit, the horse bolted, it probably needs to happen for the good of football in this country.

Edited by Dahnsouff

20 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If these teams can't be expelled, surely the league can schedule some fixture clashes for them? You might be playing Real Madrid on Wednesday but you've got Burnley on Tuesday. 

They'll have enough money to buy 2 or 3 full squads!

20 minutes ago, davieG said:

There would bw no relegation for the Founding 15 the other 5 places would be up for grabs each year based on some vague notiion of picking the best 5 teams from the rest.

so that 5 teams would get hoofed out at the end of the year, and another 5 brought in?  So there would be relegation, but only of the "reserve 5"?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Arsenal and Tottenhams best teams are only mid table now. Their reserves would struggle to stay up. 

Not once they've used their super league money to buy every decent player from the non-big-6 teams 

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Whatever happens here, I don't see how fans of these clubs nor the governors of their domestic game and numerous other stakeholders in the game can forget this. This is abysmal and heads need to roll.

100%. The reputation of those clubs has been trashed and this will not be forgotten or forgiven for a very long time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, what? said:

Interesting to hear Marcus Bean on football weekly predicting that the players won't care about being banned from international competition

Says a man only good enough to earn on cap for Jamaica, which isn't the country of his birth. I reckon the established internationals or the ones who are chasing a cap of to cement that place will be very worried about a ban. And generally they are the best players.

I think Kane would be pissed off if he was banned from playing for England for example.

• Like 1

First and foremost. Football is a Community based sport, evolving in time from local community challenge games. So Fans really own the game not the FA, Premier league Eufa or Fifa.

These organizations are just the administrators.  

The  clowns behind this idea are not Football people really, A movement should be started to run them out of football. 

Whatever happens, the governing bodies can’t allow this to stand unpunished. Give them a slap on the wrist and what stops this happening again in 3, 5, 10 years? Or every time a decision they don’t like as a collective is made? The threats been implied in hushed tones for years but this is the point of no return. Whatever punitive measures are made they have to be harsh to ensure this never happens again. It may well hurt the FA, UEFA and FIFA short to mid term but drastic reform needs to be made instantly. Moving towards a German model wouldn’t be a bad starting point. 

27 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If these teams can't be expelled, surely the league can schedule some fixture clashes for them? You might be playing Real Madrid on Wednesday but you've got Burnley on Tuesday. 

I said this exact thing earlier. I actually said that I bet games will be played in the states. Would love to see Barcelona V Liverpool at 3am our time Thursday morning, followed by Southampton v Liverpool Friday night :D

I like it that people and organisations are coming out, drawing a line in the sand and declaring their position on this. Boycotts can only gain so much, it's a global TV market so local boycotting won't be enough but if all sponsors, merchandisers, media outlets alienate them it will be a start.  

If it goes through there are a thousand problems, to prevent it there are six, in terms of our domestic game anyway, the six owners. A lot easier said than done but we need them gone. I'm not advocating assassinations you understand, I mean make it impossible for them to continue and somehow force a sale or let them sit with a hollow pointless asset unlicensed to function in this country.

How? Haven't a clue but it's the least painful route out of this by far. 

1 minute ago, Qwerty said:

Not once they've used their super league money to buy every decent player from the non-big-6 teams 

That's what worries me the most. Players like Youri, Wilf, Maddison being snapped up to play in some Big 6 Domestic, B-Team with the incentive to one day play in their mid-week A-Team.

• Like 1