Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

its a risk - he's still young and money isn't everything at this stage of his career. going there and it not working out (ie - he doesn't win anything or make top 4 next season) would be a problem for his reputation but given the exceptional circumstances there, he may feel he can spin it. 

however, jumping ship from us now could be seen by him as a good move because in the game's opinion, we haven't yet turned to sh1t.

by xmas, that may be clear and if he cant stop the slide then his CV takes a big knock. 

its never boring here  ........

I'm very torn on Potter. I've for a while thought they're looking better than their league position suggests but I'm not convinced they're as good as it suggests this season either, but I'd then argue that we have better players than Brighton do anyway.

I've liked him a while, read something about him when he was still at Ostersunds and I liked what I saw, but it's hard to know if he's truly at the level we're aspiring to be at.

I have no problem if he does go. Its not unexpected considering how he left his boyhood club to join us. He's had a successful 2 and half years here and improved his reputation but unlikely to break into that top 4 with us and therefore won't get a chance at the Man City, Chelsea or Man Utd as discussed. 

Having the money of Newcastle may be his best bet to actually break into that top 4 but it's a major rebuild. He'd be putting his reputation on the line but he'll back himself to deliver. 

My only wish is we have an idea of who we'd want to replace him with and doesn't add too much more disruption to an awful start to our season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave Fishwick said:

Brighton's underlying numbers have been brilliant for 2-3 seasons now, unfashionable Brighton are getting the ball down and outplaying some much bigger names, they also create a myriad of chances, I'd like to see what he could do when given elite finishers like Kelechi and Vardy

4B06B12C-80CF-4FC9-A187-123A367F1B3F.png

Rodgers leaving, for me would be a strange one. 

I doubt we would get a better manager than BR as a replacement and you can't argue with our success under him BUT our style of play under him is just so draining to watch that I don't think I'm too bothered about him actually going. 

The only thing that fills me with dread is Lampard lurking around. Conte or Gattuso would be ideal. I wouldn't be too upset over Potter mainly because I respect the sh!t out of what he's done in his career. 

We all knew he’d be off in a shot as soon as something come he liked the look of. To achieve that though he needed to win something to keep his reputation which he’s done. 

Feels like things are at a natural end anyway personally. Of course the next appointment would have to be smart 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

someone is leaking stuff 

this isn’t a new story as his name has been put forward by journos from day one but there is a small amount of money being staked on him and DJ Marzio has nothing really to gain from getting involved when it isn’t ‘news’. 

Rodgers knows he can’t increase his package here so nothing to be gained by his agent manipulating stuff in that respect 

perhaps the feeling is that if the story gains enough strength over a week or so, him effectively walking out on us won’t reflect as badly on him. Something happening thats expected plays out better than a surprise.  What is certain is that newcastle won’t want a rumour gaining traction unless they think they can see it through. So they won’t have leaked anything from their end unless they’ve had a strong indication from Brendan’s agent that he would go.  And if they’ve been told that he isn't interested  then they would be briefing local journos us there that he isn’t their target. 

if there aren’t reports by Friday from some north east reporters that the club haven’t approached anyone yet or that rodgers isn’t high on their shortlist then the old ‘smoke/fire’ stuff is relevant ……

• Like 1

This will all heat up once they actually sack Bruce. Then the storyline circus for our game will be “will he won’t he”. I don’t really know what they’re actually waiting for - seemed it was common knowledge that Graeme Jones would be in the dugout for them at the weekend.

11 minutes ago, rachhere said:

This is all a cheery read! I really don't see it - not at least for a season or two anyway until they have started building up a credible squad and boosted their facilities. 

Me neither Rach, i for one would be disappointed and tbh quite shocked if he leaves us, especially for Newcastle. I Just don't see it happening and am quite surprised at the amount of people who do. 

• Like 2

I got no problem with Brendan going or deciding that he needs a new challenge. He’s done a good job here and won us a trophy. I’d like him to stay but that’s life and it happens. 

My bigger concern is he is going to a club with the financial power to rip up our squad. With players in this squad who do have a lot of respect for him. Losing a manager alongside key players is worrying. 

25 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

He literally joined us to follow money.

If anyone didn't see him doing this at some point after his entire career up to that point then you must have your eyes glued shut.

I think we perhaps didn't envisage Newcastle being the club he left us for lol

• Like 1

This is a really poor move for him I think. If he genuinely believes that the Saudi ownership want him to build the club for the long term then he is massively deluded. Look at Hughes at City, Ranieri at Chelsea - Rodgers will be utilised merely to stabilise the club. I agree with the sentiment that we’ve been poor so far this season, but he’ll be moved on for a manager like Conte in 18 months or so.

This is also assuming that it goes well too, they still have the second worst squad in the league and will struggle to attract any decent calibre of player in January as they will 100% be in the bottom five. Hypothetically, if he was to take them down then his reputation would be finished and any chance of him getting a big job would be over.

Also, despite what people say on here, things are pretty comfortable for him here. He has a very good squad, a good contract and fantastic training facilities. If I was Rodgers, I’d be keeping us in the mix for a season or two and then think about moving on. There are still many unanswered questions about the Saudi ownership and I really think that Rodgers would effectively be gambling with his career in going there.

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I got no problem with Brendan going or deciding that he needs a new challenge. He’s done a good job here and won us a trophy. I’d like him to stay but that’s life and it happens. 

My bigger concern is he is going to a club with the financial power to rip up our squad. With players in this squad who do have a lot of respect for him. Losing a manager alongside key players is worrying. 

To be honest at Newcastle he'll be given a huge cheque to buy anyone in europe. The only player I can see him wanting to take with him, is probably Youri.

"Well I've always admired the 'wurk' that Mike Ashley and his team brought to the Sports Direct stadium.  And people will know I've always said I'm an admirer of the Public Investment Fund and Mohammed bin Salman, so to be brought in to lead his team to the next level is exactly where every manager wants to be".

• Haha 2