Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Dennis Praet

1 hour ago, Sambiasso said:

The problem with Leicester/Rudkin is they are great at getting people in, however shockingly bad offloading fringe players.

Love it when people judge like this purely based on media reports along. 

You, along with I, have absolutely no idea what happens or what current effort is being spent on "offloading" players. 

I think I trust qualified professionals at to do a better job then some random guy on FoxesTalk. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's a real tough one. If someone offers cash for Hamza then it would be tempting to sell but a loan deal doesn't benefit us more than the hope he does well and then we either get a better fee in future or he comes back here suddenly capable of being a DCM at a top 6 team. AFCON in Jan does complicate things, up to then he's going to be 3rd or 4th choice DCM and won't be anywhere near our bench in the league.

I suppose the club might look to move Mendy on instead but the French league although aren't anywhere near as financially fcuked when it comes to makings signings as was being made out, might view this sort of transfer as less essential.

He couldn’t even get a move as a free transfer when his contract ran out here could he?

1 minute ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

He stayed because of COVID -- we needed cover and he needed security of income. Without the pandemic, he would have gone.

BTW I like mendy - he is a great player for us. When will was crook mendy did very well indeed

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bert said:

What we must also remember is that we are going to lose N’Didi & Mendy in the midfield for a month or so in January. What then happens if we’ve sold Praet & Choudhury and one of Tielemans or Soumare cop an injury? 

Issue we are going to have is if we sign any more players we are getting very close to our limits in terms of squad registration, a couple more players and we may have no choice but to get rid as we would struggle to register everyone

• Like 2

Praet could be sold back to samdoria I reckon. They only have one out and out right midfielder in Candreva and if Damsgaard goes then they'll be especially light on the right side. £15mill maybe 

If we are only going to get £15m for him. I'd prefer to keep him and move on Mendy/Hamza even on loan if needs be. 

He is a very good player. We seem to struggle with the concept that we can have very good squad players like the big clubs do, and always want to move them on if they aren't playing. Maybe a mentality change is needed now we are with the big boys :P

• Like 3

11 hours ago, goose2010 said:

just have a look at other clubs mate. No one is shifting squad players. 

And to be honest i wouldn't say there isnt a single player we have that wouldn't do a job for us if we needed them. We have little amount of dead wood. 

Definitely true right now but people forget how long it took to offload the likes of Slimani, Musa, Ghezzal, Silva, Diabate, Kapustka. (I hesitate to include James in that, or Kingy, given their contribution to the club, and as they’re with Uncle Nige now)

As many have pointed out it’s very difficult to shift players like that so we did really well to get a return on Musa. Looking at the squad now though it’s in such a healthy state that there’s so few players you could point to and say they deserve to be playing elsewhere. Instead we can plug those gaps with more quality players and youth could get an opportunity they previously wouldn’t have had. 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Praet isn't going to play ahead of Maddison, Dewsbury-Hall or Soumare though is he? And if Ndidi was out he wouldn't come in to the reckoning either like Mendy or Hamza would. Sadly for Praet, he's now 4th or 5th choice in a central midfield/advanced midfield role here and his time is up. Probably the only fringe player we could get money for too.

N'didi and Mendy away in Jan. One injury to any of those other midfielders and he is suddenly 3rd choice, with us (hopefully) still in all 3 cup competitions. For the sake of £15m (we may not even get that). I think having someone with his quality who can/has also played the No.10 role and out wide, it is a safer bet to keep. Also, and more importantly, he is by far the best dressed of our squad. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

N'didi and Mendy away in Jan. One injury to any of those other midfielders and he is suddenly 3rd choice, with us (hopefully) still in all 3 cup competitions. For the sake of £15m (we may not even get that). I think having someone with his quality who can/has also played the No.10 role and out wide, it is a safer bet to keep. Also, and more importantly, he is by far the best dressed of our squad. 

But try keeping a player already bemused here happy when he's currently 4th choice in a creative midfield spot and won't be in the matchday squads and unlikely to be named in the European squad up to January as we have too many players. As I've said, Ndidi and Mendy getting injured wouldn't give Praet any more of a chance of playing given he's not a defensive midfielder.

Praet would only come in to the reckoning if Maddison, KDH and Soumare were injured. Don't forget this is a player who Rodgers refused to give ANY minutes to in the closing part of the season despite Maddison being abysmal and Ayoze Perez putting on a disaster class in how to operate as an attacking midfielder. Zero.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he hasn't had the opportunity to shine for this season!!!

Hard to draw the necessary attention when you are sat on the bench.

I accept what you say but he's exactly the type of Player Brendan searches for. A quality player who's not getting game time.

Yet we've not had a sniff of interest in him. It just seems so strange as if there's something we don't know about him.

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

….

Praet would only come in to the reckoning if Maddison, KDH and Soumare were injured. Don't forget this is a player who Rodgers refused to give ANY minutes to in the closing part of the season despite Maddison being abysmal and Ayoze Perez putting on a disaster class in how to operate as an attacking midfielder. Zero.

Hard to argue with that, the conundrum is why? 

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I will never fathom why he wasn't played during that period especially as he performed really well just before his injury. He also is very solid for Belgium. 

I just think at a top 5 club, we need to start getting used to the idea of having International players in our squad who don't always play. 

I love the idea of having a player with Praet's quality to start in the Carabao Cup/FA Cup and constantly push our starters in the league. 

I think out of all those midfielders, he is actually the best suited to play Perez's role. 

As you say though, Rodgers may not see value in keeping him around. I just hope we don't let him go too cheaply. Still a top player IMO. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Hard to argue with that, the conundrum is why? 

Bizarre, and he's a player Rodgers seemed to push hard to sign. It's clear Dennis isn't happy here so maybe that's annoyed Rodgers and doesn't trust him but it's definitely weird. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I will never fathom why he wasn't played during that period especially as he performed really well just before his injury. He also is very solid for Belgium. 

I just think at a top 5 club, we need to start getting used to the idea of having International players in our squad who don't always play. 

I love the idea of having a player with Praet's quality to start in the Carabao Cup/FA Cup and constantly push our starters in the league. 

I think out of all those midfielders, he is actually the best suited to play Perez's role. 

As you say though, Rodgers may not see value in keeping him around. I just hope we don't let him go too cheaply. Still a top player IMO. 

Agree, Praet should have played more games in the run in. I suspect the reason Rodgers didn't pick him was off the back of his poor performance against West Ham (when most of the team struggled and the subs made a big difference) and deciding that it was too big a risk to play both Maddison and Praet when both were returning from longer-term injury lay-offs. Another factor may have been that the running stats suggested Praet was off the pace. 

Also, absolutely agree Praet is an option for the right-wing given how Rodgers has set up that position, with the player moving insight and creating space for the attacking full back - Ricardo or Castagne. He also had a really good connection with Castagne when they played together. Interestingly, he came on for Perez in the Villarreal friendly so Rodgers may see it the same way as well. 

Edited by lcfc_forever
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lcfc_forever said:

Also, absolutely agree Praet is an option for the right-wing given how Rodgers has set up that position, with the player moving insight and creating space for the attacking full back - Ricardo or Castagne. He also had a really good connection with Castagne when they played together. Interestingly, he came on for Perez in the Villarreal friendly so Rodgers may see it the same way as well.

I was just thinking the same. Maybe why it is so quiet on the RW front and also why no suggestion Praet is actually up for sale. 

It's not ideal as I actually think we need a genuine RW who can also play on the left and cover Barnes, but Rodgers obviously likes Albrighton and he can play both sides and it might simply come down to not having the budget for a RW now that we need a CB. 

1 minute ago, Hales said:

I think with the league, Europe and Cup competitions he has a starting place. I suspect he would be in the team for earlier cup games and European games.  I hope so anyway!

As I previously said, there's not space for him in the EL squad as its even stricter than the 25 man PL squad rules. So that leaves Carabao Cup games for him, what a lovely treat.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hales said:

I think with the league, Europe and Cup competitions he has a starting place. I suspect he would be in the team for earlier cup games and European games.  I hope so anyway!

That would be my thinking but Rodgers may have other ideas. I think a lot of us have forgotten what a top player he is, so I hope he does stick around and gets to play in the cup games and I know Soumare and KDH have been impressive, but Praet is still the most proven of the 3 and it's not like he is the weakest link there. 

If I was a betting man though, I would think he will be gone by the end of the window. 

• Like 1