Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Dennis Praet

11 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Good enough for Belgium but not for us ?? ….  I’ve always thought he brought something to the team and is always keen to push forward and set up attacks.   For me the jury is still out on KDH ….  big potential,  just waiting to see it.

In regard to that last bit, when you say waiting to see it do you mean so far he hasn't impressed you or that he's got to continue to impress when it really matters when the season properly starts?

10 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Good enough for Belgium but not for us ?? ….  I’ve always thought he brought something to the team and is always keen to push forward and set up attacks.   For me the jury is still out on KDH ….  big potential,  just waiting to see it.

13 caps in 7 years since his debut for Belgium, 3 starts and has played 505 minutes in total.

He's a good player but he struggles to get time for Belgium, so that statement is a little false.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Gerard said:

Nothing we already didn't know though, it's apparent that our main four CM's will be Ndidi, Tielemans, Soumare and KDH. Between those four they'll take up the vast majority of CM minutes this season.

The club will want rid of any other CM who can command a decent fee. Praet and Choudhury look the obvious but Mendy could go as well if someone stumped up a few million. Maybe with no direct links we'll have to wait until the end of the transfer window when some teams may want them in because they're available after circumstances change if those clubs lose a player to transfer or injury.

Idk if Mendy is worth moving. He isn't on that much money, plus he did a terrific job for us spelling Ndidi last season. And Ndidi has been hurt for stretches the last couple seasons. We move Mendy, IDK that Soumare can do that job as well as Mendy. Maybe, he is supposed to be a tough tackler with the the touch to be a b2b, and the body control of someone more practiced in hold-up play, but idk, I gotta see it in the Prem. Soumare seems more of a Tielemans replacement you ask me.

I'm relatively indifferent to Praet. I don't dislike him at all but if his departure means recruitment in more pressing areas then so be it. There surely has to be some players exiting and I'd imagine there would be more suitors for Dennis than for Hamza or Mendy.

• Like 3

I think he's a decent player but the manager clearly doesn't fancy him, not included in the squad at the weekend, barely used him despite weaknesses in midfield late in the season, and now he's got Soumare & KDH to compete with as well. Two of him, Mendy and Choudhury need to be sold. Of those three I'd keep Praet, however, Praet would probably fetch more than the other two combined, so that changes things. I'd be looking to sell.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Disagree with whoever said Mendy did well coming in for Ndidi. He wasn't even close. Our record with Mendy in the side was pretty bad. 

Wasn’t me, but at the start of last season Mendy did play very well, particularly in the win vs. Man City if memory serves. Don’t want him playing league games though really, he’s well down the pecking order for me.

• Like 2

Not sure if any club have even made an enquiry regarding Praet, personally I think he’s a good player but wasted with no game time,  so he would be one we could sell or use as a part exchange as he is on a decent wage (apparently) :thumbup:

16 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

13 caps in 7 years since his debut for Belgium, 3 starts and has played 505 minutes in total.

He's a good player but he struggles to get time for Belgium, so that statement is a little false.

Yet he continues to be selected for the Belgian squad. In one of the higher rated national teams, surely that's a significant acknowledgement of his potential usefulness. Perhaps his situation illustrates more about a lack of tactical inventiveness by his respective managers than lack of talent.

I'd sooner see other players be transferred than him. 

I think a 'little exaggerated' is more apposite than "a little false". False, like unique, can't be qualified in terms of extent - it either is or isn't.

6 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Yet he continues to be selected for the Belgian squad. In one of the higher rated national teams, surely that's a significant acknowledgement of his potential usefulness. Perhaps his situation illustrates more about a lack of tactical inventiveness by his respective managers than lack of talent.

I'd sooner see other players be transferred than him. 

I think a 'little exaggerated' is more apposite than "a little false". False, like unique, can't be qualified in terms of extent - it either is or isn't.

Exaggerated is a better word, Beligum have a pretty small pool of players to be fair. 

Nacer Chadli has 66 caps for example. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Good enough for Belgium's massive bench at the Euros yes. KDH is clearly preferred for whatever reason at this stage.

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Exaggerated is a better word, Beligum have a pretty small pool of players to be fair. 

Yes - it is a very small pool to fish in. Currently Belgium are reminiscent of  Portugal's 'Golden Generation' of the early 2000s - three or four truly great players forming the core of a great 1st XI. But you have to have strength in depth. I think Soumare and KDH may influence the tenure of Praet at City.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Yeah, once a player is called up and does alright then they tend to be in the mix for years without much trouble.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Disagree with whoever said Mendy did well coming in for Ndidi. He wasn't even close. Our record with Mendy in the side was pretty bad. 

Nobody is in the same league as Ndidi, but Mendy did do adequate job and was one reason to our good start last year. Deserves more praise than what he gets. 

Praet reluctantly and Hamza are my two to leave to raise funds this summer. 

Edited by scinnell
  • Like 2

Praet's unfortunate. He's a damned fine player, imo one of our better ballers, but he plays in a position where we've got a number of options already. In fact, I'm not quite sure we play in a way that best suits him. That is to say, I think in another team/shape he might well shine. I'd like him to stay, because he gives us options, but we don't really have a place for him in to start (in the squad, yes) and I can understand his frustration.  Mendy and Hamza are both better fits in terms of how we play, they can better slot in.

Feels like his problem (if you can call it that!) is that he's good at everything but great at nothing. He's just a good solid midfielder, decent workrate, not slow, good pass, technically strong, good shot on him etc. It's hard to see off the bench if you were either chasing or looking to close out a game when you'd choose him and he's probably not quite good enough to start for us outside "secondary" matches. Bit of a waste for him and us as he's clearly talented and for the sake of his career probably needs to leave unless he's happy with say 10-15 starts and 10-15 sub appearances over the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Mendy did do ok........but started to get found out increasingly, and it was noticeable that he got withdrawn eventually. It was the right thing to do, but he didn't deserve the slamming he got from some people... (naming no names)

This.

He was pretty damn good in the opening couple of months (there were a few games we were ripped apart though) but his impact started to wear off and we were having to compensate for the lack of Ndidi in other areas of the team and scrapping rather than playing. 

• Like 1