Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OhYesNdidi

Coutinho

7 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

No chance this is actually true.

It's not. In England they say reports from Spain and here in Spain they say reports from England. There's nothing in this. Agent talk I guess

• Like 1

Can't deny what a fantastic player he is capable of being when fit and on form, but this just goes so against the grain of what I imagine our recruitment strategy to be, I can't see it happening, not one bit. Notwithstanding the gulf between wages he might expect and our norm.

23 minutes ago, jruizc_ said:

It's not. In England they say reports from Spain and here in Spain they say reports from England. There's nothing in this. Agent talk I guess

Good we didn’t build our success on signings like this. He isn’t a bad player, this just seems like nonsense and an agent desperate for a final pay day. 

4 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Our transfer model has also included bringing in experienced senior pro’s as well with considerable success.

The likes of Morgan, Huth, Simpson, Cambiasso, Fuchs, Evans, Ricardo come to mind.

Of course, the less said about Inler the better. 

Iborra

28 minutes ago, Dan Gliballs said:

Can't deny what a fantastic player he is capable of being when fit and on form, but this just goes so against the grain of what I imagine our recruitment strategy to be, I can't see it happening, not one bit. Notwithstanding the gulf between wages he might expect and our norm.

we have lost a lot of experience. 

it’s also possible this was a target for if we made champions league, and some reporters are slow to pick up on that.

• Like 1

Can’t see this happening. For me, it’s the sort of deal that looks exciting, as a fan, in pre-season …… but looks awful post-season when he walks away having played five games through injury and we’re £30M+ out of pocket. Would be exciting, but surely not our kind of signing! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

Everton signing this. Can’t see us in a million years being interested in him. Only being linked because of Rodgers. 

No Ancelotti means they will struggle to attract players of Coutinho's pedigree. 

Nuno and no European football will again hold them back. Perhaps an influx of Portuguese players is more likely.

I'm also betting that James Rodriguez won't be there by the end of the transfer window!

47 minutes ago, MPH said:

we have lost a lot of experience. 

it’s also possible this was a target for if we made champions league, and some reporters are slow to pick up on that.

I agree, and his big game experience on top of his quality would be hugely beneficial.

I think even if we were CL though, the wages he would (probably) require, even if palatable from the club’s position, might upset the apple cart amongst the players a little too much.

I’d take couthino all day long, he’s a class player with the ability to make sommit happen out of nothing. We struggle aswell when we come up against teams who put 11 men behind the ball and he can unlock for us. Kuhn Top is getting his cheque book out I think.

I said this towards the end of the season when Top watched his first game back - which I think was West Ham (eurgh). I know we were all very negative at the time but I said that maybe it was his chance to see just what you need to do to get a club into top 4. We were hammered by key injuries last season and he perhaps has gone away and thought about what he wants - especially after the FA Cup win. 

If this is genuine and Top is happy to sign off on it, then it is a real statement from us that we are taking on the second most expensive player ever. It raises our profile and if it means we can either push properly for top 4 or get to a Europa semi then I am happy to go with it. I don't quite think it would upset the apple cart compared to if we got someone like Son on silly wages. 

Coutinho has won stuff, knows Brendan and is coming from Barcelona. That's pretty big. 

I think it’s likely our new sponsors will want a “big name” to kick off the partnership in style. These are the sort of circles we are in now that we have a proper commercial partner. 

Their financial backing also means we can finance a deal like this with little impact on actual budgets. 

We’re in a time now where some sponsors even come out and say they actively financed a deal (Derby and Rooney) 

Coutinho is true class and was brilliant at Liverpool. We have gone for this type of signing in the past with Cambiasso and there were rumours about Eriksen in the winter. My only reservation is that he is recovering from injury and anything other than a loan is surely a massive gamble and out of the question .

Not sure how much truth there is in this and whether Coutinho would see it as a step down. Nonetheless would be a yes from me.

33 minutes ago, Sankey93 said:

I’d take couthino all day long, he’s a class player with the ability to make sommit happen out of nothing. We struggle aswell when we come up against teams who put 11 men behind the ball and he can unlock for us. Kuhn Top is getting his cheque book out I think.

...where does he play and who makes way!!!

Experienced player with quality but there's some big question marks

1) His wages 2) If he actually wants to join us / or thinks he's bigger than us. 3) Is he even fit to play?

He is a game changer on his day but not sure how I feel about it.

7 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

Experienced player with quality but there's some big question marks

1) His wages 2) If he actually wants to join us / or thinks he's bigger than us. 3) Is he even fit to play?

He is a game changer on his day but not sure how I feel about it.

1) I imagine we would only be paying a portion of his wages, but it would be topped up with a big loan fee that covers the rest

2) I think there is a chance he would want to join us, he and Brendan get on well and have been in contact before when not at the same club (Coutinho text Rodgers when he got the move to Barcelona in 2018), I also don’t think there are any other clubs that can offer more than we can that would be interested in him

3) I think this will be the sticking point for me, posted it yesterday that he has had 3 surgeries on the same knee since January, so obviously some kind of serious issue there, and we have seen with Riccy P what a long term knee injury can do to a player

13 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...where does he play and who makes way!!!

In a 4231 in place of Perez on the right of the three behind the striker I would have thought. Still think unlikely unless he is taking a massive pay cut. Barca want him off the payroll so can’t see any sort of subsidised loan deal.

that said I still stand by my comments in other threads that we may well surprise a few with a high profile marquee signing and this could be it. @AjcW makes a valid point in that our new sponsors may be pushing for a significant signing to raise their profile as a newcomer into the field