Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

England v Germany Tues 29/06/21 17:00 Wembley

48 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Perfectly aware of it. Talking six tournaments since 1992. So a decent number of opportunities now. 

Our qualification record was pretty pathetic before that format change as well. 

Again if take the group stage in isolation, Southgate this year has equalled the performance of any other European Championship England have qualified in. 

Southgate is our luckiest manager - I'll give you that.  All of this success could have been Allardyce's if it wasn't for the sting.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, trabuch said:

Southgate is our luckiest manager - I'll give you that.  All of this success could have been Allardyce's if it wasn't for the sting.

Allardyce would have failed, I somehow dont think wed have seen soo many of good of upcoming youngsters coming through under him. The idea that he said in his first press conference he said he was happy with aged Wayne Rooney and wanted to build squad round him finished it for me.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, trabuch said:

Kind of a lose lose for him, if he wins games and progesses he's "our lucky ever manager" if he loses games and crashes out hes useless and should be sacked. 

23 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Allardyce would have failed, I somehow dont think wed have seen soo many of good of upcoming youngsters coming through under him. The idea that he said in his first press conference he said he was happy with aged Wayne Rooney and wanted to build squad round him finished it for me.

Like Southgate said about Kane.

Anyone notice Barney Ronay in the Guardian? He wrote:

The cross of St George was unfurled around the fences, painted names providing a tour of the country from Grimsby to Taunton to Leicester.

That's not a tour, that's basically down the Fosse Way and back again!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Kind of a lose lose for him, if he wins games and progesses he's "our lucky ever manager" if he loses games and crashes out hes useless and should be sacked. 

I'm glad you agree.

4 hours ago, shen said:

...and until England show some balls and actually play like we know they can, I will not be rooting for them. 

I’ll support them, doesn’t mean I have to be happy setting up like a Roy Hodgson Palace team, when we have the forward line to play like a Pep team.

I know we are lacking a couple of real high quality midfielders. But even his choices there are conservative.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Babylon said:

The problem is, we have a fantastic set of creative players and we are setting up like A Nordic country who has limited options. 

People are going to have issues with that. We changed our formation to combat a team who frankly is nothing to write home about.

It’s exceptionally negative, and I don’t like it whether we get the result or not.

He’s no tactical genius, and in my experience his type of negative attitude eventually loses out.

Muller tucks it away, or the shot the went under Pickford goes in and his tactical masterclass looks a bit silly.

I pray we bore our way to the title, but I can’t embrace this style when we have those options. 

I dont disagree with the rest of your post and I know its not your underlying point but I think the bit in bold falls under the 'ifs, buts and maybes' category. English missed some very good chances too, like Maguire's sitter of a header in the first half that could have either controlled things a lot sooner if it went in or panicked England and allowed Germany to come back into it, but who knows?

3 hours ago, glebe_sydneyfox said:

At the end I did ponder whether or not it was worth the sacrifice of sleep from 2am-4am.

I thought it was a solid sturdy defensive display and hit them when they started to tire

Still gunning for Denmark go the whole way though 

I think the Danes will win it. They’re not a bad side anyway, but now they seem galvanised too. I just can’t see us being able to match a team playing with passion, that will ultimately be our undoing, our overly cautious approach.

I wouldn’t mind Belgium aka Leicesters Mk2 wining it either. 

The first 60-odd minutes were among the most dire I’ve seen in international football. Dull, tedious and utterly failing - the plan was controlled possession, the reality was anything but. Were it not for Germany being so abysmal, England would’ve been hammered by half time. Yet, thanks to a spark of creativity finally being allowed onto the field, now everyone wants to fellate Southgate? Oh, but it’s the Jeeermans. Dey bombed our chippy. Two world wars and one Robin Koch. Rah rah tossing rah. Negative tactics, bountiful jingoism, and a dash of xenophobia. What a bunch of shithouses. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I reckon it’s ultimately down to what people want 

Do they want good, attractive football with games that are open but where we would likely concede goals as well as score them? 
Or do we want to pursue some kind of defensively minded tactical set up where we don’t concede goals and win one or two nil?

With Southgate, there isn’t a middle ground. We know that. That’s how he sets England up

And it’s working... we haven’t conceded a single goal and we have a strong chance of getting into the semi finals.

What do you want? Genuine question?

Are all the critics of Southgate wanting him sacked? I said last night I think many on here would have rather seen England lose last night due to their dislike of Southgate?

We have what we have and in my opinion we have to go with it. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I reckon it’s ultimately down to what people want 

Do they want good, attractive football with games that are open but where we would likely concede goals as well as score them? 
Or do we want to pursue some kind of defensively minded tactical set up where we don’t concede goals and win one or two nil?

With Southgate, there isn’t a middle ground. We know that. That’s how he sets England up

And it’s working... we haven’t conceded a single goal and we have a strong chance of getting into the semi finals.

What do you want? Genuine question?

Are all the critics of Southgate wanting him sacked? I said last night I think many on here would have rather seen England lose last night due to their dislike of Southgate?

We have what we have and in my opinion we have to go with it. 

We beat Germany in a knockout tournament for the first time since '66 and yet I genuinely didn't feel even a flicker of emotion. Is there something wrong with me? Is it because I don't really like most of the England players? Is it the unimaginative football that Southgate has them playing? Someone help me.

• Like 4

I see the same extraordinary mental gymnastics about this that I do about BR. Pick a position - probably a negative one. Stick a caveat in saying 'if we do win it's despite rather than because' and noting how bad the opponents are, or deciding mid-match that they are, just in case we win. Then the team we supposedly support win, and a position has been created where the negative misery can still say 'See? I was right.'

Lads, it's ok just to say 'I was wrong' on occasion. Try it, it's liberating.

Oh, and @Daggers, I'm with you on the jingosim - but hardly surprised.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I see the same extraordinary mental gymnastics about this that I do about BR. Pick a position - probably a negative one. Stick a caveat in saying 'if we do win it's despite rather than because' and noting how bad the opponents are, or deciding mid-match that they are, just in case we win. Then the team we supposedly support win, and a position has been created where the negative misery can still say 'See? I was right.'

Lads, it's ok just to say 'I was wrong' on occasion. Try it, it's liberating.

Oh, and @Daggers, I'm with you on the jingosim - but hardly surprised.

Germany have all of a sudden become a team of over-the-hill cloggers after last night's defeat.

5 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

We beat Germany in a knockout tournament for the first time since '66 and yet I genuinely didn't feel even a flicker of emotion. Is there something wrong with me? Is it because I don't really like most of the England players? Is it the unimaginative football that Southgate has them playing? Someone help me.

Same!!

But it will please the Gammons waving their little union jack flags!😂

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Daggers said:

The first 60-odd minutes were among the most dire I’ve seen in international football. Dull, tedious and utterly failing - the plan was controlled possession, the reality was anything but. Were it not for Germany being so abysmal, England would’ve been hammered by half time. Yet, thanks to a spark of creativity finally being allowed onto the field, now everyone wants to fellate Southgate? Oh, but it’s the Jeeermans. Dey bombed our chippy. Two world wars and one Robin Koch. Rah rah tossing rah. Negative tactics, bountiful jingoism, and a dash of xenophobia. What a bunch of shithouses. 

**** me you've got to be one of the most pessimistic people on planet earth. Cheer up ffs.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think the Danes will win it. They’re not a bad side anyway, but now they seem galvanised too. I just can’t see us being able to match a team playing with passion, that will ultimately be our undoing, our overly cautious approach.

I wouldn’t mind Belgium aka Leicesters Mk2 wining it either. 

Denmark or Belgium for me!

Love to see Kasper lift the trophy rather than Horse face!

8 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

It might be something else - because I don't get emotional about it either. I'm personally glad I've changed with time, it's healthier. So maybe we've both learned from experience and have developed a pain boundary beyond which we refuse to go - who knows?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I'm exactly the same.  I didn't celebrate when we scored or won.  It all a bit 'meh'.

Yes, we beat Germany in a tournament for the 1st time in 55 years, but they are a poor, poor Germany team.

I don't really get all of the euphoria and the headlines.  I didn't think that England played particularly well, and another dull, conservative performance orchestrated by Southgate.  I just wish we would play lots more positive attacking football, then I may be able to get behind the team.

If we do go on the win the tournament, it is more to do with the other teams being poor / inconsistent rather than England playing well.

• Like 1