Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

England v Germany Tues 29/06/21 17:00 Wembley

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My 5 year olds favourite part of the night was the little German girl crying. I don't know whether to be disappointed or proud (proud) 😂😂😂😂

haha same. My lad loved that. I felt obliged to try and add some balance so he could empathise a little, but he's now telling his mates about it while playing Fortnite!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

State of the comments in here...

Just played an extremely assured game against historically our biggest "bogey team" and people still moaning.  This is the equivalent of those goons who boo'd Allardyce after West Ham beat Hull them years ago for not playing the "West Ham Way".

Look at the squad, we're not Brazil 1970.  Last time we "went for it" against Germany we got humped 4-1 in the World Cup.

Enjoy the moment as it was a solid, mature performance that we should be proud of and we've got as good a chance to win a tournament as we have for many years.

Trouble is too many of our so called fans don’t understand how the game is played these days. You can’t just go out hung ho and steam roll every team. Thank God GS is the manager and not any of the moaning contributors on this forum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BoyJones said:

Trouble is too many of our so called fans don’t understand how the game is played these days. You can’t just go out hung ho and steam roll every team. Thank God GS is the manager and not any of the moaning contributors on this forum. 

If Brendan went to Spurs, or anyone else, you'd take Southgate as manager then? 

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Ok, put it this way.

If we now fail to reach the final, because much has been made of how easy our side of the draw is, that has to be classed as complete failure?

Or do you class the tournament as a complete success, because we beat an ageing, mediocre Germany, who were 6 minutes away from failing to get out of the group?

Interesting to see what people think.

Neither. By that logic we fail if we don't win the tournament and even if we do win it then it's still a failure as the Germans weren't as strong as they've previously been. 

I've only one measure of success and that's  winning the tournament but that doesn't mean can't enjoy the journey. 

Irrespective of what happens in the future, I'm not going to sit here and mud sling on hypotheticals. The cliché saying of "you can only beat what's in front of you" springs to mind. 

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Ok, put it this way.

If we now fail to reach the final, because much has been made of how easy our side of the draw is, that has to be classed as complete failure?

Or do you class the tournament as a complete success, because we beat an ageing, mediocre Germany, who were 6 minutes away from failing to get out of the group?

Interesting to see what people think.

Mate if they dont win it now, like most of my Facebook  mates reckon they already have, it will be utter failure.

The engraver has already started to engrave EN onto the Trophy by the sounds of things!!!!!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Took a rare visit to Facebook, probably the worst thing I have ever seen.

Screenshot_20210629-200747_Facebook.jpg

Thank you for posting this. Genuinely haven’t laughed this hard in a long time.

2 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Beat the Germans in knock out football and still people find room to moan. Fvck me lol 

German team that were only minutes from not making it out the group though!

Just need to be realistic.

Some people think they have won it already and all the other teams are just playing for 2nde place!!!

7 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily about going gung ho, but while we have good solid defenders, we have a variety of young attacking talent that doesn’t get a look in for defensive solidity. The current formation does work, but I would like it if Southgate did experiment with his attackers as it just feels like the full potential of this squad isn’t being realised. That being said, it was a solid performance and ultimately a good win. 

• Like 2

This is bob on: https://sport.optus.com.au/articles/os27793/england-germany-analysis-storey-southgate

England have kicked over another of the psychological hurdles that for so long blocked the sunlight rushing in and they have done it on their terms. We are not just allowed to enjoy these moments; we must enjoy them. This is a team to be proud of and a team to enjoy.

Gareth Southgate does not strike you as a particularly passionate man. There are no obvious displays of machismo, no chest-beating call-to-arms. He does not issue stirring war cries on the eve of big fixtures and he deliberately chose to ignore the swell of nostalgia that threatened to burst over England this week.

But do not mistake a lack of outward self-assertion with a lack of courage or conviction. England’s manager has faced the type of intense scrutiny that once made this job seem impossible and still often feels like it might be. Every supporter in the land has an opinion and, this week, most of them seemed to disagree with Southgate.

It would have been easy to cede to those who told him to be more attacking and try and blow teams away, in this game and before. But Southgate is paid to make the calls that he believes in. And as Wembley danced and yelped with the sound of 50,000 people pinching themselves to check this was not some concocted fever dream, Southgate stood tallest. England’s manager faced vindication or damnation. He has landed on the right side of that dizzying knife edge.

Taking this position can sometimes feel like dancing with the devil. For Southgate it came with the weight of emotional baggage that had accumulated for more years than anyone cares to remember. England had failed at World Cups and failed at European Championships; Golden Generations had been dulled by the pressures of high expectation and the despondency of failing to meet them.

Southgate had a plan: Forget the past. England DNA, the initiative of the Football Association to improve the development of our youth to a level in which we could be proud, asked us to take a leap of faith and look to the future and our manager did the same. There are times when we as supporters become suffocated by our hardwired negativity, but Southgate pleaded that a brighter tomorrow need not be a mirage. And he has stayed true to that vision. This is our youngest tournament squad in 63 years and it contains so much potential it makes you want to burst.

England’s manager faced vindication or damnation. He has landed on the right side of that dizzying knife edge.

Taking this position can sometimes feel like dancing with the devil. For Southgate it came with the weight of emotional baggage that had accumulated for more years than anyone cares to remember. England had failed at World Cups and failed at European Championships; Golden Generations had been dulled by the pressures of high expectation and the despondency of failing to meet them.

England were evidently nervous; no blame for that. Germany settled into a passing rhythm and could feasibly have created more than half chances in the first 15 minutes. But as England grew in confidence, a relief appeared to wash over them, a four-word phrase that has rarely been present in our tournament teams: We are good enough.

Southgate doesn’t just deserve credit for his selections, but the management of the match. With Kalvin Phillips and Declan Rice both booked during the first half, it was a brave call to leave them on the pitch against Toni Kroos, Kai Havertz and Leon Goretzka; both were impeccable in the second half. Harry Kane looked off the pace for the first hour of the match and those who decried the call to omit Dominic Calvert-Lewin from the matchday squad chirped on social media; Kane scored the clinching second goal.

And then there’s Raheem Sterling, whose reputation appears to be so divisive that he has become Southgate’s teacher’s pet, a perceived personification of his lack of trust in other attacking options. Sterling is not perfect, but he is the one England player who repeatedly runs directly at defenders and he is enjoying the tournament of his life in front of goal. Sterling has been targeted by sections of his own media, mistrusted by his own supporters and consistently criticised for what he isn’t rather than celebrated for what he is. In his own backyard, he has led this England team.

And what of Harry Maguire, a central defender who many believed had been picked as a glorified cheerleader given the extent of his ankle injury. If every successful team needs those characters who view the biggest matches as a chance to rise to the occasion and allow every fibre of their talent and personality to wash over those around them, this was Maguire’s day. He was England’s best player and their rock.

Beating Germany is not everything. No nation with England’s resources can label quarter-final appearances as glorious successes. Southgate and his team have a chance to reach a major tournament final for the second time in their history and anything less would now feel like disappointment; that is the inevitable flipside of progress.

But England have beaten Germany in a knockout match. They have kicked over another of the psychological hurdles that for so long blocked the sunlight rushing in and they have done it on their terms. We are not just allowed to enjoy these moments; we must enjoy them. This is a team to be proud of and a team to enjoy. No more talk of what might have been. It’s time to wonder just where this side can go.

9 minutes ago, Guest said:

If only there were some sort of middle ground between complete failure and complete success

But surely the is no middle ground now?

If England lose to Sweden/Ukraine/Czech Republic/Denmark, won't that be seen as failure?

Pundits have said if you could pick a route to the final, that would be it.

Guest ttfn

The defensive style we’re playing was pretty much all-or-nothing for Southgate. Win and he’s a genius, lose and he’s wasted the best group of attackers we’ve had for 30 years.

Whatever happens now, history will remember him kindly. Wins over Germany at major tournaments don’t come around often and regardless of the cohesion of the opposition that was a strong Germany side.

Whether he’s remembered fondly in the short term depends on whether we make the final from here. There can’t be any excuse for not putting away 2 of Sweden, Ukraine, Czech Republic or Denmark. To get the opportunity in 2018 and not take it would be unfortunate, to do the same in 2021 would be careless.

As for the game after the initial German flurry was countered I thought we managed it very well. In a sense it was similar to the FA Cup Final in that the two 3 man (5 man) defences blunted each other and ultimately the game was won by the more composed side.

Grealish was used very well by Southgate: calls for him to start are misplaced as his unusual style of play unsettled a deliberately settled game. I still think he’s missing a trick by not playing Sancho: Saka did ok but had no influence in the second half. We’ve got an elite level winger sat on the sidelines as we consistently fail to break down defences.

Kane was absolutely hopeless, a complete cart horse again for 85 minutes and then took his goal very well. If that’s what Southgate wants from him then who am I to argue but I think he continues to inhibit this team’s attacking play.

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

The defensive style we’re playing was pretty much all-or-nothing for Southgate. Win and he’s a genius, lose and he’s wasted the best group of attackers we’ve had for 30 years.

Whatever happens now, history will remember him kindly. Wins over Germany at major tournaments don’t come around often and regardless of the cohesion of the opposition that was a strong Germany side.

Whether he’s remembered fondly in the short term depends on whether we make the final from here. There can’t be any excuse for not putting away 2 of Sweden, Ukraine, Czech Republic or Denmark. To get the opportunity in 2018 and not take it would be unfortunate, to do the same in 2021 would be careless.

As for the game after the initial German flurry was countered I thought we managed it very well. In a sense it was similar to the FA Cup Final in that the two 3 man (5 man) defences blunted each other and ultimately the game was won by the more composed side.

Grealish was used very well by Southgate: calls for him to start are misplaced as his unusual style of play unsettled a deliberately settled game. I still think he’s missing a trick by not playing Sancho: Saka did ok but had no influence in the second half. We’ve got an elite level winger sat on the sidelines as we consistently fail to break down defences.

Kane was absolutely hopeless, a complete cart horse again for 85 minutes and then took his goal very well. If that’s what Southgate wants from him then who am I to argue but I think he continues to inhibit this team’s attacking play.

Well said 👍

Crazy that after Scotland won the euro’s after drawing 0-0 with England they had to hand the title over to Wales after their 1-0

loss Italy, and England are the only home nation side left in the tournament. lol 

4 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Couldn’t agree more. Perfectly put. Bring on the quarter finals though!

53 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Kind of, but it's also about how yo play when you win. Convincing performances will generate confidence to go and do the same again. I know you have to approach different teams differently but as supporters we need to feel confident. In the pub earlier before we scored, we're all screaming for more positivity. It took such a long time in the game before we showed any real threat and then, only after JG came on

But it was a Leicester Pub....Just dens of iniquity who cant Pick a Player or manager....Even when they Take selfies,they are Left  only with the negatives..:celebrate:..

A win is a win, is a win,  yes a win....Let The others play pretty...

54 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Germany will go away, analyse their whole football pyramid from top level to grass roots, and come back stronger. They'll more than likely outperform us for the next 50 years while we're still playing Southgateball.

You're not wrong. But it all comes in cycles. Let's hope ours is starting (and we ditch Southgate) 

7 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Great post this. What’s the most important thing is we’ve just stuck two last Germany, and there’s absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t be able to do so against further opposition. If Germany had’ve won tonight everyone would be saying “That’s Germany in the final” well we’ve just beat them. We are the strongest side on our half of the draw.