Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

England v Germany Tues 29/06/21 17:00 Wembley

Tough for Southgate in some sense because if he went more attacking and the defence was exposed he'd be criticised just as much. As long as we're winning, he can stick at it but it's temperamental. Interesting to see what he does considering the opposition in the next round. The plan was 4 at the back in the group stage and then back 5 when we come up against the stronger sides. 

Different challenge now as we head to Rome with I'm assuming no or very little English support. 

Tried and tested template for winning international competitions is 

1.) Have a solid defence

2.) Grow into the tournament 

So despite many chastising him, maybe Gareth is getting it right - if you don’t concede you always have a chance don’t you. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

,Glad we beat Germany. Probably give the players some belief but just hope we go out and attack or drive with the ball more. The game changed when Grealish came on. Southgate needs to be more offensive at times but 0 goals conceded. Can't argue with that.

However, probably the worst Germany side I've ever witnessed though. They were atrocious.

We were lacking someone who could put a foot on it and pass forward. Saka and Sterling are good but they aren’t really that. Grealish provided that link, his involvement in the first goal was far more impressive than the second IMO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Tried and tested template for winning international competitions is 

1.) Have a solid defence

2.) Grow into the tournament 

So despite many chastising him, maybe Gareth is getting it right - if you don’t concede you always have a chance don’t you. 

At the end of the day, we won and got it right. It doesn’t make others wrong for thinking we are overly negative. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Tough for Southgate in some sense because if he went more attacking and the defence was exposed he'd be criticised just as much. As long as we're winning, he can stick at it but it's temperamental. Interesting to see what he does considering the opposition in the next round. The plan was 4 at the back in the group stage and then back 5 when we come up against the stronger sides. 

Different challenge now as we head to Rome with I'm assuming no or very little English support. 

There's a reason he's in the job and no one on here is. He's got all the big calls so far and still that's not enough for some.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I'm enjoying this tournament through the eyes of my 10 year old son who until a couple of weeks ago had shown little or no interest in football and now is completely obsessed with it!

Watched the game with him tonight and he absolutely loved it. I'm happy

My 5 year olds favourite part of the night was the little German girl crying. I don't know whether to be disappointed or proud (proud) 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

At the end of the day, we won and got it right. It doesn’t make others wrong for thinking we are overly negative. 

Maybe not and I’ve been critical of Southgate myself.

But it seems every decision is questioned - such as the Saka substitution, which I was perfectly fine with. 

Yes Saka played well, but he lacks an ‘X’ factor when compared to Sterling, Grealish and even Kane as it proved - so for me that was a good decision.

In the pub I was in people were slating the late Henderson swap, yet he had two Centre mids on a yellow that had played 70+ on the day and most of the tournament - so again, a perfectly reasonable decision.

And it has to be noted - playing expansive, attacking football is physically draining - maybe we could do it, but it could come at a cost when it comes to later rounds… so maybe Southgate is spot on with what he’s doing 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sterling was the dogs bollocks today. Back three were immense too. We look good.

Southgate isn't perfect, but he's got his plan and thankfully will stick to it despite what all the miserable knackers on here and elsewhere say. Takes grit to stick by your principles, and I think that showed in a resolute performance.

Also, I don't mind Grealish starting from the bench. As long as he, or one of our many other talented subs do get on, as they have so far. This tournament has really shown the impact a good sub can have.

It might actually be coming home! And even if it doesn't, cheer up and have a beer :scarf::beer:

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

State of the comments in here...

Just played an extremely assured game against historically our biggest "bogey team" and people still moaning.  This is the equivalent of those goons who boo'd Allardyce after West Ham beat Hull them years ago for not playing the "West Ham Way".

Look at the squad, we're not Brazil 1970.  Last time we "went for it" against Germany we got humped 4-1 in the World Cup.

Enjoy the moment as it was a solid, mature performance that we should be proud of and we've got as good a chance to win a tournament as we have for many years.

Ok, put it this way.

If we now fail to reach the final, because much has been made of how easy our side of the draw is, that has to be classed as complete failure?

Or do you class the tournament as a complete success, because we beat an ageing, mediocre Germany, who were 6 minutes away from failing to get out of the group?

Interesting to see what people think.

• Like 2