Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

England v Germany Tues 29/06/21 17:00 Wembley

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

But aren’t you worried about potentially coming up against a side that will take the game by the balls, and end up a couple of goals up? 

The cautious approach is all well and good, but normally if it’s your best option. For England it isn’t, there’s no reason with the talent in this squad that we can’t attack? 

There is so much pace in the squad, a capable forward thinking players, and the defence isn’t bad, with just Rice sat in front of Maguire and Shaw I don’t think they’re susceptible to a counter. 

This is the best chance England have had of winning a competition, and I genuinely believe that we can be more aggressive, progressive and not compromise our defensive structure. 

I get Gareth wants to be cautious, but sometimes the braver prosper. And we certainly have the minerals to go with a bit more gusto. 

I'm torn on it I really am. The defensive approach gets shot to pieces if you concede first and we've seen it from Rodgers before and gone berserk bit international football is horse shit and especially this tournament. Teams that play club style positive football by and large are being picked off.

Not my cup of tea but get me in the final at pace.

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

How many times do we have to pull it off before it’s luck or just clever? 

World Cup Semi 

Nations League 3rd 

Euro Quarter 

In the history of England, that’s factually up there.

How many times do we have to say that they weren't successful?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I do slag Southgate off but you've gotta give him some credit, not often a win against the Germans occurs.

Isn't the record really close? I know we lose the big games generally but I think there's only a win in their favour overall.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm torn on it I really am. The defensive approach gets shot to pieces if you concede first and we've seen it from Rodgers before and gone berserk bit international football is horse shit and especially this tournament. Teams that play club style positive football by and large are being picked off.

Not my cup of tea but get me in the final at pace.

Not sure I agree really. But then I'm not sure which sides I'd class as expansive this tournament. 

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

How many times do we have to pull it off before it’s luck or just clever? 

World Cup Semi 

Nations League 3rd 

Euro Quarter 

In the history of England, that’s factually up there.

As much as it was progress to make a world cup semi, we did lose as many games in that tournament as we won over 90 minutes. It was flattering because it was 'the semis' when really we lost to any decent side we played.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Isn't the record really close? I know we lose the big games generally but I think there's only a win in their favour overall.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/england/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Germany/

You ain't wrong tbh mate, feel like we hardly ever beat these in a meaningful game since I've been watching football, but there's only been about 6 of them lol

2 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

As much as it was progress to make a world cup semi, we did lose as many games in that tournament as we won over 90 minutes. It was flattering because it was 'the semis' when really we lost to any decent side we played.

Doesn’t matter. The fact is got the semi final.  He’s achieved something tonight no other England manager has done (won an European Championship knockout game) and we ain’t talking shabby opponents either

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, shen said:

Not sure I agree really. But then I'm not sure which sides I'd class as expansive this tournament. 

International football is so boring, and there was a time I couldn't help but be more invested in it than my club team growing up. In the 90's and 00's I was obsessed with England, but all of it is hard work these days. With our attacking options we really ought to be way more aggressive and positive but it's a weird era, hope we keep getting better and a little more adventurous.

• Like 4

England haven't played anyone half decent yet!.. the quality of teams in this tournament is shocking!.. that's the worse German side ive ever seen!

And this Sweden v Ukraine game!!.. absolute dogshit!

England will probably get to the semis without having to play anyone half decent..

Belgium the only quality side in it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Doesn’t matter. The fact is got the semi final.  He’s achieved something tonight no other England manager has done (won an European Championship knockout game) and we ain’t talking shabby opponents either

Although factually correct, if you know the history of the European Championships, you'll understand why it isn't really relevant.

Until 1992, if you got out of the group, you were in the Semi's.

5 minutes ago, weller54 said:

England haven't played anyone half decent yet!.. the quality of teams in this tournament is shocking!.. that's the worse German side ive ever seen!

And this Sweden v Ukraine game!!.. absolute dogshit!

England will probably get to the semis without having to play anyone half decent..

Belgium the only quality side in it!

Granted that German team today was bang average, but it wasn't worse than the team we beat at Euro 2000.

21 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The problem is, we have a fantastic set of creative players and we are setting up like A Nordic country who has limited options. 

People are going to have issues with that. We changed our formation to combat a team who frankly is nothing to write home about.

It’s exceptionally negative, and I don’t like it whether we get the result or not.

He’s no tactical genius, and in my experience his type of negative attitude eventually loses out.

Muller tucks it away, or the shot the went under Pickford goes in and his tactical masterclass looks a bit silly.

I pray we bore our way to the title, but I can’t embrace this style when we have those options. 

My point exactly. 

21 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The problem is, we have a fantastic set of creative players and we are setting up like A Nordic country who has limited options. 

People are going to have issues with that. We changed our formation to combat a team who frankly is nothing to write home about.

It’s exceptionally negative, and I don’t like it whether we get the result or not.

He’s no tactical genius, and in my experience his type of negative attitude eventually loses out.

Muller tucks it away, or the shot the went under Pickford goes in and his tactical masterclass looks a bit silly.

I pray we bore our way to the title, but I can’t embrace this style when we have those options. 

...and until England show some balls and actually play like we know they can, I will not be rooting for them. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Although factually correct, if you know the history of the European Championships, you'll understand why it isn't really relevant.

Until 1992, if you got out of the group, you were in the Semi's.

Perfectly aware of it. Talking six tournaments since 1992. So a decent number of opportunities now. 

Our qualification record was pretty pathetic before that format change as well. 

Again if take the group stage in isolation, Southgate this year has equalled the performance of any other European Championship England have qualified in.