Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

Watched the disallowed goal again. He's so flat footed. He's not anticipated the danger and he's not on his toes ready to spring into action. At one point you can see he clearly switches off. Had he been paying attention he could have got in front of Barnes instead of letting him pin him and flick it on to Wood. Awful defending 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Watched the disallowed goal again. He's so flat footed. He's not anticipated the danger and he's not on his toes ready to spring into action. At one point you can see he clearly switches off. Had he been paying attention he could have got in front of Barnes instead of letting him pin him and flick it on to Wood. Awful defending 

Yeah I didn't see it till motd just now as my stream dropped, he doesn't impose himself jumping to head the ball, just stands there, not good  and not what you want from your CB 

A lot are still forgetting that we conceded 50 goals last season with Evans and Fofana playing most games. It has to be said that Ndidi has been below his best and giving less protection to the central defenders. I don't think Soumaré can do his job yet and with no Mendy , Wilf will have to soldier on when he desperately needs a rest.

6 minutes ago, lcfc cowboys said:

I think sometimes we forget he is an international defender how he is though is another question because I have seen better defending in a local non league game

9 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

He should be 5th choice.

To be fair the whole back four was just as poor.

21 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Good observation.  I suppose it's a judgement call whether their experience would, overall, give us more than playing the less experienced Thomas and Amartey.  Personally, I think Thomas would be the better call over Bertrand.  Not sure on the other choice between Vestergaard and big Dan, but Amartey's been pretty solid so far.

Lb should be Justin, Castange/Riccy whichever isn’t on the other side,Thomas then Betrand in that order.

Vestergard or Amartey is like asking which sh*t smells better..

He's poor, no doubt about it, but we're not defending as a team either. The midfield is providing no cover. We're too easy to play through right now and Cags is terribly off form and this guy is just not of the required standard. We're shipping goals every game and if that continues at the current rate we're going to be in a dogfight in the bottom half of the table.

We bought him thinking he could a job, sadly it is obvious he can't. The injury to Fofana coupled with Evans basically not being able to play every game is going to wreck any hopes we had of a top half finish. I think Amartey is just a better player but neither are good enough for a top half team really.

52 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I've seen us play worse with a 4 than what we played last season. There were some memorable performances with 3 at the back last year, wins away at man utd, wins in the cup against man utd and Chelsea, beating Sheffield United 5 nil. 

We need to get Iheanacho in the team and realistically hes boy going to throw another attacking player in whilst we are so horrifically defensively.

The only way the current 4 works is if we can squeeze the team up the pitch and you need quick centre halves to do that. Otherwise Itll be this dull ponderous possession football that goes nowhere.

You also saw a lot of that with a back 3 of Evans, Soyuncu and Fofana. Right now we'd be fielding a back 3 of Vestergaard/Soyuncu/Evans if fit or Amartey. Castagne as a 3rd CB has never worked to date either, Justin can play that role though very well and might be the sort of Fofana driving forward defender from the centre we are missing.

A back 3 means we can't get Lookman and Barnes in, you could argue we won't have either in but we do need Iheanacho and Vardy in together and get Daka on for Vardy with 20 mins to go to build his progression up. I also want KDH in so not too much to figure out 😂😂😂

Only seen the highlights but it didn't seem like either of Burnley's goals were directly his fault. Was he really that bad in general, or has everyone got the arse because we didn't beat Burnley at home and we desperately need someone, anyone, to be the scapegoat? Most on here thought he was good against Man City. But now all of a sudden he's shite? The truth probably lies somewhere in between but, as always on FT, opinions have to lurch from one extreme to the other.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Only seen the highlights but it didn't seem like either of Burnley's goals were directly his fault. Was he really that bad in general, or has everyone got the arse because we didn't beat Burnley at home and we desperately need someone, anyone, to be the scapegoat? Most on here thought he was good against Man City. But now all of a sudden he's shite? The truth probably lies somewhere in between but, as always on FT, opinions have to lurch from one extreme to the other.

He was that bad.

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Consider yourself lucky lol

I wouldn't say it's a case of one extreme opinion to the other on this one, he genuinely was a liability all game.

He did well against Man City - but pep clearly didn’t target him and we screened the back four way better because that was our game plan.  Mangers will now have seen how vulnerable he is in a two to pace and movement. You would think that Viera will already be planning with ayew and zaha to get at him on transition. Suck us in high up and then break.  It’s a car crash waiting to happen every game now ! No wonder soton played a back three so often. 

21 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He did not handle the situation well with Vydra that led to Cornets goal and just look at him for that goal from Wood that VAR thankfully ruled out. All piss and wind.

• Like 1

It's far too early to write Vestergaard off at this point, but the performance yesterday was worrying. 

Statuesque was my first impression after the game. Defending with a high line he has no pace to recover and, for a very big bloke, he seems easily bullied by physical strikers (basically how Burnley play). 

The thing is he looked decent against Man City. Their game is less about physicality and more about intricate passing. Maybe the slower pace of international football suits him too. 

I do wonder whether he'd be less exposed in a three but, on this evidence alone, he's nowhere near Evans and Fofana - or Soyuncu of last season. I also can't help thinking that Amartey might have more potential - given a run in the team and some patience whilst he irons out the odd mistake. 

Pros

• Tall, dangerous from set pieces.

• Experienced international CB at PL level.

Cons

• Slow.

• Crap ball distribution.

• Weak for how big he is.

Think Piper got it spot on Radio Leicester. He likes to play on the left hand side, where Soyuncu usually plays, which puts Soy in a position which he isn’t comfortable with. Also Soy seems to benefit when he has a dominant, experienced player next to him (Evans) which Vestergaard doesn’t seem that dominant type.

Rodgers needs to reshuffle the pack at the back, hopefully Evans will be fit for the next game, benching Vestergaard which hopefully kicks him up the arse. It is too early to right him off but at the minute he’s hit and miss, just needs a little more time to settle himself in perhaps.

Edited by buzzer_b

1 minute ago, buzzer_b said:

Pros

• Tall, dangerous from set pieces

• Experienced international CB at PL level

Cons

• Slow

Crap ball distribution

• Weak for how big he is

Think Piper got it spot on Radio Leicester. He likes to play on the left hand side, where Soyuncu usually plays, which puts Soy in a position which he isn’t comfortable with. Also Soy seems to benefit when he has a dominant, experienced player next to him (Evans) which Vestergaard doesn’t seem that dominant type.

Isn't passing supposed to be one of his strengths? Just perusing the stats from yesterday's game (and I know bare statistics can often be misleading or not reveal the full picture), but he had the highest pass completion % and the most passing distance covered.

33 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He did not handle the situation well with Vydra that led to Cornets goal and just look at him for that goal from Wood that VAR thankfully ruled out. All piss and wind.

He couldn't handle Vydra all game imo. And lets be honest Vydra isn't known as a strong player. I couldn't believe how Vydra was strong than him, getting in front of him, getting behind him, beating him for pace..