Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

22 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Pros

• Tall, dangerous from set pieces.

• Experienced international CB at PL level.

Cons

• Slow.

• Crap ball distribution.

• Weak for how big he is.

From the evidence so far, dangerous at set pieces should be in the cons column really. He's being beaten to the ball by much smaller men regularly in the air, as evidenced by the disallowed goal.

I also think his distribution should be switched to the pro column. He's pretty decent on the ball but not helped by those around him much, notably Kasper and Soyuncu, who are both uncomfortable with the ball at their feet at times.

Clearly he's slow and also appears physically weak, not good omens.

The good in the air conclusion can only be a lazy one based on his height. Technically he probably is a very good header of the ball, however he isn't fleet of foot enough, nor strong enough to manoeuvre himself into the positions to actually contest them properly in an attacking or defensive sense 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, martyn said:

The good in the air conclusion can only be a lazy one based on his height. Technically he probably is a very good header of the ball, however he isn't fleet of foot enough, nor strong enough to manoeuvre himself into the positions to actually contest them properly in an attacking or defensive sense 

Just looked at his Southampton stats and he scored 4 in 79. Also consider Ward-Prowse is their main set piece taker and I'd say his delivery is better than anybody's here. 

6 minutes ago, martyn said:

The guy has been dominating in the air for his whole career, I don't think that's suddenly a thing of the past now.  He's slow, for certain, but there are positive attributes to his game.  I actually thought he was quite good against Brighton, despite the ridiculous penalty.  For whatever reason he had a nightmare performance yesterday - maybe fitness isn't there, lingering injury, struggling to adapt to the partnership with Soyuncu or the system.  But I think some of the hyperbole about it is pretty ridiculous.  He could still settle in and be a solid part of a rotation for us.

Edited by Deeg67

I wonder if Vestergaard would be better in the middle of a back 3 with pacier players either side such as Soyuncu and Amartey. I thought he was going to be substituted at half time but with an 80% fit  Evans on the bench things might not have improved. Ricardo had been doing OK and seemed to get the blame for the second goal judging by the fact he was substituted. I am not sure Bertrand on the left was doing any better. 

I think the manager will have known Vestergaaard strengths and weaknesses before he bought him and we saw against Man City there is a decent player on his day. We always seem to struggle against teams with big awkward strikers, certainly Chris Wood always does well against us and we don't seem to have the pace or physicality to cope.

4 minutes ago, Edingleyfox said:

I wonder if Vestergaard would be better in the middle of a back 3 with pacier players either side such as Soyuncu and Amartey. I thought he was going to be substituted at half time but with an 80% fit  Evans on the bench things might not have improved. Ricardo had been doing OK and seemed to get the blame for the second goal judging by the fact he was substituted. I am not sure Bertrand on the left was doing any better. 

I think the manager will have known Vestergaaard strengths and weaknesses before he bought him and we saw against Man City there is a decent player on his day. We always seem to struggle against teams with big awkward strikers, certainly Chris Wood always does well against us and we don't seem to have the pace or physicality to cope.

That’s one thing I’ve noticed. All of our defenders work best in a back 3. Evans is our lynchpin.

I was underwhelmed when he signed.  Felt a bit desperate and to be fair, it probably was. 

Apart from the odd decent pass, he’s not been great. I’m surprised how weak he looks and how bad he is in the air. 

Luckily Wood was offside for their 3rd but in the build up, he was nowhere near the flick on into Wood. He should have been all over that. 

Edited by ozvaldo

31 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

The guy has been dominating in the air for his whole career, I don't think that's suddenly a thing of the past now.  He's slow, for certain, but there are positive attributes to his game.  I actually thought he was quite good against Brighton, despite the ridiculous penalty.  For whatever reason he had a nightmare performance yesterday - maybe fitness isn't there, lingering injury, struggling to adapt to the partnership with Soyuncu or the system.  But I think some of the hyperbole about it is pretty ridiculous.  He could still settle in and be a solid part of a rotation for us.

He had a yellow card in the 6min. Vydra is fast, Vestergaard is not. He was going to be walking on eggshells for the rest of the game. He has to be less physical, as any other CB would need to be.

I found him actually prior to this game to be pretty solid. Without a number of excellent tackles and last minute defending he actually stabilised our defence when he stepped in.

Wasn't he actually praised for his passing and distribution as a plus to the minus of his lack of speed? He had a bad day yesterday in that regard, but there was plenty of that across the board.

With Evans looking like he's going to be on and off in his availability Vestergaard is not a bad replacement.

We're not playing our optimum formation, we've players off form, and the team isn't sparking, we've also had a fair amount of questionable decisions going against us. I'm sure the players are feeling we're not getting a balanced rub of the green. Confidence is low.

Fans getting pent up, and flitting between players they hate of the week and abusing on social media, and booing them at the game isn't going to get us in a place where we have the team in a place mentally were they can overcome our challenges, and start to build a more positive focus and try build some momentum.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Just goes to show how good Evans actually is, we are missing him badly at the minute the defence is all over the place

Defenders like Evans are very underrated because of what they bring to the defence in terms of experience and command. Similar to Huth really, Morgan always looked better alongside Huth.

• Like 2

Not impressed at all with him. For Chris Wood's disallowed goal he's glued to the ground like a statue, he needs to be challenging and making life difficult. For the volley by Cornet he gets turned far too easily, dangles a leg and doesn't even come close to getting a block on Vydra's ball in. He's about 6 foot 5 but he looks weak as a kitten. Horrid performance. Judging him on his performances so far when all CB's are fit he should be 5th choice behind Amartey. Maybe even 6th choice behind Benkovic.

2 hours ago, I am an Ostrich said:

for a great big gezzer he is a big powder puff get big dan back in

Its hard to believe that with two seasons very nearly getting back into the Champions League, with successive top 6 finishes AND having spent a decent amount of dosh, we have arrived at a situation where ‘getting big Dan back in’ is meant to sort out our defensive frailties.

Really poor recruitment by the club over the summer..

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Imagine Vestergaard lining up against Ronaldo in a couple weeks time :jawdrop:

He has handled some of the world's best strikers in the past, so I doubt whether he is too concerned. I remember him keeping Lewandowski quiet. He is far better than he showed yesterday.

• Like 1