Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

16 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

This guy was bought purely because he is 'PL experienced'.

He's 29 and can't improve upon his glaring physical weaknesses.

He can't and wont be better than he is now.

I'm sure he would better with Fofana next to him, but that say more about little Wes than it does about big Yan.

£15 million has already proven to be a waste, when we would have been better buying more of a 'project', like Soyuncu/Benkovic etc for that price.

We've lost too many points already, to conclude that his 'PL experience' hasn't benefitted us.

The problem now is we have to score more goals than Vestergaard let's in! Seems like Every clubs striker will now target him after seeing players easily get past him in the Napoli game. Whoever thought it was a great idea buying Southampton's awful defence will improve us, we were looking at better younger defenders from Europe for the same price aswell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScrumpyJack said:

Writing him off so early is very (C2H4)n behaviour :yawn:

It was always going to be a tough one because he never really stood out for Southampton and the majority of us didn't rate him before he signed. Unfortunately he's proving every single person right at the minute. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm all for giving players a chance but what he's serving up is what he did at Southampton for large spells. The likelihood is that PL football is way too fast and aggressive for him, I can tolerate him being slow as there's nothing he can do about that at 29 to suddenly be shit off a shovel but the way he gets embarrassed by smaller players is just beyond words. That has to improve and if it does then he'll be an OK squad player but I actually think Amartey might make less gaffs than him....

I was with you up until this point. I actually think Amartey is a good option, on the rhs of central defence, but boy, the lad has at least two massive errors in him, per game.

42 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm all for giving players a chance but what he's serving up is what he did at Southampton for large spells. The likelihood is that PL football is way too fast and aggressive for him, I can tolerate him being slow as there's nothing he can do about that at 29 to suddenly be shit off a shovel but the way he gets embarrassed by smaller players is just beyond words. That has to improve and if it does then he'll be an OK squad player but I actually think Amartey might make less gaffs than him....

I wasn't sold on Vestergaard to begin with and he's looked frail in his first few games, I agree. 

But I don't think I've seen as much negativity about a new signing as this time around.

Maybe it's exacerbated by how jarring and awkward it looks when he gets skinned or outmuscled.

He's only played a handful of games in a makeshift defense. Maybe it's not the best time to judge him or jump on his back?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, shen said:

I wasn't sold on Vestergaard to begin with and he's looked frail in his first few games, I agree. 

But I don't think I've seen as much negativity about a new signing as this time around.

Maybe it's exacerbated by how jarring and awkward it looks when he gets skinned or outmuscled.

He's only played a handful of games in a makeshift defense. Maybe it's not the best time to judge him or jump on his back?

I'll give him a chance, he's got ability on the ball but he needs to get his act together on the mistakes he's making when it comes to anticipation and strength in 50/50 challenges in the air and on the ground. All basic stuff which suggests it's sloppiness as opposed to being fundamentally crap but I've read plenty of criticism from Southampton fans over the years as he's so slow and ponderous both physically and mentally.

• Like 1

I can only assume he's here to play in a 3 when required. Looks very exposed in a pairing, vydra of all players schooled him all game.

He can pass very well but is deceptively weak for a 6ft 6 centre half. Seems flat footed and clearly no pace. 

He did play well against Man City but in truth they don't tend to play with a recognised CF. Hope he can settle for whilst needed but was a poor performance against an average Burnley team.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'll give him a chance, he's got ability on the ball but he needs to get his act together on the mistakes he's making when it comes to anticipation and strength in 50/50 challenges in the air and on the ground. All basic stuff which suggests it's sloppiness as opposed to being fundamentally crap but I've read plenty of criticism from Southampton fans over the years as he's so slow and ponderous both physically and mentally.

Has ability on the ball, but doesn't always show it. Some absolute horror passes during the first half, but managed a few great cross field balls in the second half. 

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

We should look back to Newcastle and Spurs last season and remember worse defensive shambles than against Burnley. The fault in my opinion lies in our midfield , if Ndidi is off form (and he is) we are vulnerable to almost any team.

.. the real problem is how he is now being deployed, as opposed to him being off form!!!

We have seen an under performing Ndidi when paired with Mendy as a two and we will continue to see him not at his best if we are asking other players  to get in his lane or for him to be supporting our forward play.

Deployed in front of the defence is where he should  be and that is where he reads the play and uses his instincts to be in the position to nullify the opposition. 

If that makes him a one trick pony then so be it, but he is worth two players, playing this way, than what we are presently asking him to do.

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

His attributes might not change, but then the manager who bought him might twig that you don't play a high line with him in the team, suddenly you minimise his weaknesses and he's a better player for it.

....surely you would be aware of this prior to bringing him in!!!

His biggest weakness has been continually shouted from the rooftops, so why play him in a formation that exacerbates his obvious weakness. 

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....surely you would be aware of this prior to bringing him in!!!

His biggest weakness has been continually shouted from the rooftops, so why play him in a formation that exacerbates his obvious weakness. 

You'd hope, but then it's just becoming another in a line of bizarre decisions isn't it. Like buying a right back when you need a left back. 

10 hours ago, Dames said:

It was always going to be a tough one because he never really stood out for Southampton and the majority of us didn't rate him before he signed. Unfortunately he's proving every single person right at the minute. 

I reckon once he gets used to the system at Leicester he’ll be a good addition. He’s definitely not had an electric start but wouldn’t like to write him off yet 

On 26/09/2021 at 07:43, deanolegend1989 said:

Come on at least show people you actually watched at least 1 minute of the game. Outrageous observation.

He didn't do anything major wrong and on two or three occasions he was there with a clearance or header away as the last man. Tielemans - as observed by everyone around me too - was giving the ball away like the ghost of Junior Lewis. He had a terrible game by his standards and Wilf - apart from a couple of custom recoveries wasn't at the races either. Find a link to the game, watch it back, my observation is every bit as valid as yours.

On 26/09/2021 at 23:06, FoxyLeon said:

Why the desperation for a player with 'PL experience'?

If he 'needs time'....and 'games to get up to speed with how we play'....Why is the PL part necessary?

I think this 'way we play' part is far overrated.

Hassenhuttl was happy to let Vestegaard/Bertrand go, as it's clear they can't play how he wants to, which is a high energy pressing game.

That Livramento lad has looked exceptional at right back for them, only 18 too, with no 'PL experience'.

Tielemans had 'no PL experience' before us, same with Ndidi....

Vestergaard will always be slow, clumsy and extremely suspect at playing a high line.

It goes completely against what we usually like in a CB, with Fofana/Soyuncu and even Evans is underrated with his mobility.

No amount of 'time' can improve his weaknesses, and I've yet to see any strengths over Amartey. 

Every player needs time. Getting used to new players around you and formations especially when your defensive partner changes every week is key. And again, Johnny Evans was absolute shite in his first month for us. I could sit here and list another dozen players who didn't hit the ground running and turned out to be decent/great players for us.

Our fan base is notoriously quick to slag players off and then eat humble pie later.