Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

I’d not quite appreciated there being 8 days between the PL pause and the World Cup starting. Not a lot of time for coaches.

The standard will be dire because the players aren’t going to be very prepared. Likely there’s only time for a single warm up game, two at push with maybe 5 or 6 days training for most teams before their opener.

Prior to 2018 England had 27 days of training before the first game.

I’d expect the teams with very settled squads and a greater proportion of players at the same club sides to do well.

9 minutes ago, Sampson said:

How are they still getting it to end in May with a near 7 week break?

Probably midweek games to cram in :dunno:

FA Cup in midweek probably too. European finals in June. 

On 24/05/2022 at 22:04, Stadt said:

The standard will be dire because the players aren’t going to be very prepared. Likely there’s only time for a single warm up game, two at push with maybe 5 or 6 days training for most teams before their opener.

Prior to 2018 England had 27 days of training before the first game.

I’d expect the teams with very settled squads and a greater proportion of players at the same club sides to do well.

Think there's going to be lot more cases of club v country. With players being pressured by the club side manager to miss out. Klopp would hate the idea of, leading the premier league with 5 points by the end of November only to find come boxing day. Half of his squad injured or tired after the world cup. 

3 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Think there's going to be lot more cases of club v country. With players being pressured by the club side manager to miss out. Klopp would hate the idea of, leading the premier league with 5 points by the end of November only to find come boxing day. Half of his squad injured or tired after the world cup. 

That’s true but it’ll effect the elite clubs equally, more or less 

On 24/05/2022 at 20:49, ttfn said:

I’d not quite appreciated there being 8 days between the PL pause and the World Cup starting. Not a lot of time for coaches.

I don’t see this as all that much of an issue. Squads have been together, decent ones anyway with a core group of players and knowing what way they’ll be playing for this. The season will have been in full swing as well so it’ll be a case of acclimatising and then their normal match prep. 

On 24/05/2022 at 17:56, ScrumpyJack said:

Irrelevant as shit, but how mad is it Cambiasso played for us. Had a couple of beers and have been fixated on it. What a wild few years it has been!

as backwards as it is, I can’t help but like him so much more than kante. 

I think it was just that he was so humble and a real class act with such a huge profile. 

All the reasons I like him are the reasons i detest ronaldo 

On 24/05/2022 at 23:01, StanSP said:

Probably midweek games to cram in :dunno:

FA Cup in midweek probably too. European finals in June. 

Only 3 midweek games and 5th of FA Cup midweek. 

Starts a week earlier and there are less international breaks. 

Going it be interesting to see how the World Cup factor plays out. 

It will probably start to affect squads from October onwards, as players won’t want to get injured and will be distracted 

After the tournament there will be blazing rows over the tightness of the schedule, player tiredness, etc. 

One positive is that the teams above us will be much more affected 

On 24/05/2022 at 20:49, ttfn said:

No pre tournament friendlies then I guess, or picking a bigger squad for a few weeks and then whittling it down. 

Really think it will be a blessing in disguise, that we are having no European tour this season. Should keep our squad fresh and give us more time to do work at the training ground. Also makes me not paying way too much for a dodgy streaming subscription to watch 3rd tier european football. 

49 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

Really think it will be a blessing in disguise, that we are having no European tour this season. Should keep our squad fresh and give us more time to do work at the training ground. Also makes me not paying way too much for a dodgy streaming subscription to watch 3rd tier european football. 

Whilst that's true, it also makes it harder to attract players of the level we want. Surely the aim is to be a regular European qualifying team. It also means less chances for fringe players, so development of youth could stagnate. That way of thinking also doesn't account for the club growing in the summer, signing players of better quality to bulk the squad up even more to cope with the schedule. We don't want to end up like Klopp, success means more games, we need to learn how to cope, not be thankful we aren't successful.

Going to be interesting to see how clubs keep players  that aren't involved match fit during the world cup. 

Imagine any injuries during the first half of the season will be managed and sorted during that six week period. 

I bet the likes of Vardy can't wait for it. 6 weeks off to go and do warm weather work or something similar. 

Like others have said no European games could really help us this season. Not sure how clubs cram in 60 odd games without suffering. 

Imagine the FA cup and League cup won't be their priorities so they should 100% be ours. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Could FFP be an issue for them in the future ?

Or they won’t worry about that if these signings help Villa up the table .

If they dont qualify for europe then it won’t really matter ……

they will be selling players too