Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

41 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Ruthless forward planning or its something that will back fire. 

Lost their last 4 and looked horrific as they allowed Everton to stay up, carry on like that and its guaranteed relegation so can't see the issue at all here.

People moan about managers being disloyal (even though leaving a job for a better paid, better prospects job is what we'd all do - but nevermind)

But examples like Bournemouth show why people have no loyalty. Club owners and fans won't think twice before shitting on you in some way, shape or form.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Corky said:

Andoni Iraola appointed. English bloke binned for unknown foreigner. Disgusting, Jeff.

I know we got in Maresca, but we didn’t have a capable manager already and Maresca has been around the English game for a few years now. He will have a limited budget and squad to work with too, so it is odd 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

59 minutes ago, Corky said:

Andoni Iraola appointed. English bloke binned for unknown foreigner. Disgusting, Jeff.

Safe to say, they now deserve to go down.  Not a Gary O'Neill fan and hoped that they took our place for relegation BUT he did a great job to keep them up.

Totally reprehensible to bin him like that, I hope he got a severely good pay off.  

Not even a results business anymore, he got them and still got binned.

8 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

Safe to say, they now deserve to go down.  Not a Gary O'Neill fan and hoped that they took our place for relegation BUT he did a great job to keep them up.

Totally reprehensible to bin him like that, I hope he got a severely good pay off.  

Not even a results business anymore, he got them and still got binned.

Especially for a club of their size. Really they're a League 1 club that's now pushed themselves into being a yo-yo club which is amazing. I know that it's not for fans of other clubs to judge the decisions of another club (see Ranieri and Rodgers for the media/other fans perception) but that is utterly bizarre from the outside. What do they actually expect.

Loved Iraola as a player (joke on Football manager from memory) so sad that I'll want him to fail because of this decision.

Ruthless from Bournemouth.

But what do you do if you really believe that someone better and attainable is available if you act quickly? This could be the difference between them becoming the next Leeds and the next Brighton, for example.

Difficult decision made, and Gary O'Neil will still have a really great achievement on his CV, one that should stand him in good stead and reward him with patience from whoever his new employers will be.

They also ended the season LLLL, scoring a single goal in that time. O'Neil did a decent job there but I'm not surprised they were thinking about whether he was the right man, and it's patronising to call them out for wanting better.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

i wonder if potter, scarred by his chelsea experience, considers expectations at a larger club than bournemouth are not what he's currently after.

and we may well fit that description of too much pressure 

Absolutely no pressure or expectations at this club. I think we've proven that

On the O'Neil sacking I heard it on talkSPORT earlier and there was the usual shit takes, incredulity etc.

Bournemouth showing the sort of decision making I would have loved to have seen at Leicester last season.

O'Neil is a manager that no other prem team would take if he was available, we'd have been disappointed if he rocked up here in the Championship.

He did a job, a good job, kept them up but if there is a better more shrewd choice available, you have to go for it.

• Like 1

Guess a club like Bournemouth are always going to be a bit meh unless they take huge risks in the hope of finishing top half or pushing for Europe like Brighton or Brentford. That obviously ignores how well Brighton and Brentford are structured of course.

Edited by Nalis

15 hours ago, Tuna said:

On the O'Neil sacking I heard it on talkSPORT earlier and there was the usual shit takes, incredulity etc.

Bournemouth showing the sort of decision making I would have loved to have seen at Leicester last season.

O'Neil is a manager that no other prem team would take if he was available, we'd have been disappointed if he rocked up here in the Championship.

He did a job, a good job, kept them up but if there is a better more shrewd choice available, you have to go for it.

They lack complete nuance. They haven't learned from a decade ago when Southampton sacked Nigel Adkins after getting them promoted, and hiring Pochettino. The media then was full of rage for sacking a proper football man in favourof  guy from Espanyol who needs a translator to do interviews. Pochettino became a world class coach. And where the **** is Nigel Adkins now? 

16 minutes ago, Koke said:

They lack complete nuance. They haven't learned from a decade ago when Southampton sacked Nigel Adkins after getting them promoted, and hiring Pochettino. The media then was full of rage for sacking a proper football man in favourof  guy from Espanyol who needs a translator to do interviews. Pochettino became a world class coach. And where the **** is Nigel Adkins now? 

Yeah. Also Brighton sacked Hughton and appointed Potter. Since then Potter drastically improved Brighton's playing style and got them to finish in the top half and he then got the Chelsea job. Brighton are now in Europe and Chris Hughton was sacked from Forest for having them hurtling towards league 1. The next Forest manager got them promoted and kept them in the premier league. 

Football punditry in this country is absolutely shambolic. 

59 minutes ago, Koke said:

This certainly does get frustrating, throw your toys out your pram where you don't get called up for your country, so play for someone else. Imagine a miracle where Gray has an amazing Premier League season next year scores 18 goals... whatever. Great year then realises "hang on I could have made the euros squad" 

I do feel players get bad advice sometimes, 2002 was the last time Jamaica last played in a world cup. You'd rather leave his yourself with opportunity to play for country that qualifies every tournament, that potential could be a contender to win the tournament especially if it's a country of your birth. Rather than playing for another country that you've probably only visited twice on holiday, that only qualify for a tournament once a of two decade.