Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

We've been given a better chance to sign players from abroad who have huge upside potential with the change to work permit ruling, and here we are signing harry winks on presumably relatively big wages. Its not that he'd be bad in championship, its more a horrendous lack of ambition shown

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Grotesque move. This absolutely wreaks of championship. 

This is everything I wanted to avoid. Hideous. Awful. 

This is settling for the overweight, tatooed divorcee just so you don't die alone

Are you married to a supermodel?

Weirdly, everything next season ‘wreaks of Championship’. Can’t think why.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

For a man that spends hour scouting players Ric surely you appreciate these are two completely different players in profile? One’s a 6, other is an 8 or 10.

They play the same position, but have very different skill sets. Bernabia plays as a deep lying CM, same as Winks.

This is the reality of where we are at and the squad that we have & need to rebuild for the here and now. Inspirational? Of course not. Needed? Almost certainly. He’ll be a 7 out of 10 week in, week out. That’s fine. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Very good player for the championship. Some need to give their head a wobble.

I keep reading this on here.

”A good signing for the Championship” 

I know that the standard is obviously lower but the importance of having positive, hungry players trumps a “tidy but uninspiring player” for me.

Winks would probably look ok in a technical slower paced league but never labelled the Championship as that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adster said:

lol my god. What a load of absolute horse shit. 

Give your head a wobble, son. We're a championship club now. 

This is where you are wrong..

We are (should be) a PL club playing in the championship. Keep your standards. This route is a fast track way how to do a.middlesbrough. 

• Like 2

Yeah, not really sure what the moaning is all about. He’ll be more that good enough for this level and a decent option if we go back up.

People need to stop moaning for moaning sake, we’re in the Championship now, this is the pond we fish in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

They play the same position, but have very different skill sets. Bernabia plays as a deep lying CM, same as Winks.

Agree with this, but I think Winks suits what I expect Maresca to want from his 6. Steady and unspectacular on the ball, defensively aware. I don't mind this move at all.

I'd love to see KDH and Bernabe in front of him as dual 8s though.

Speaking to my Spurs supporting brother, he reckons he would be a decent addition especially in the championship, as he is combative and gets stuck in.  

I think if he does sign it be to play as a defensive midfielder taking the place of Wilf, Mendy et al who also barely scored or assisted. 

Not a particularly exciting signing but every successful team needs a workhorse or 2 who win the ball and keep ticking over possession. Also would be a steady premier league player if we were to be promoted. 

Many of our most successful signings have looked underwhelming on paper but have thrived in the right environment. I am happy to keep an open mind and judge him on performances in a Leicester shirt and how they contribute to our overall team success. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I keep reading this on here.

”A good signing for the Championship” 

I know that the standard is obviously lower but the importance of having positive, hungry players trumps a “tidy but uninspiring player” for me.

Winks would probably look ok in a technical slower paced league but never labelled the Championship as that.

How are we defining Winks as non “Positive or Hungry” player? Based on what? Do we know him personally or?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

We are (should be) a PL club playing in the championship. Keep your standards. This route is a fast track way how to do a.middlesbrough. 

This mentality is exactly why we are where we are. 

Reality vs expectation. 

Are we in the Championship? Yes. 

Do we want to be there? No. 

Do we want to be back in the Premier League? Yes. 

Are our signings going to be significantly different to what we're used to? Yes. 

Are we going to sign PL-level players? Very unlikely. 

33 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Very good player for the championship. Some need to give their head a wobble.

Is he? Why is he? What's he ever done to make you think he's good enough for the Championship, aside from one game against Madrid that he seems to live off?

He is a nothing player and we've had to many of them in recent seasons.

We are a club that should be aiming for automatic promotion. IF we do get promoted, we're gonna be stuck with players like Winks and it'll be a circle of the last couple of seasons in terms of having average players on (probably) lengthy and expensive contracts.

Yes we are a Championship club but standards do not, should not, have to drop. I'm sure we could attract better players.

• Like 3

It’s one signing FFS, can make that conclusion at the end of the transfer window. 

13 minutes ago, Yuki! said:

This fella is 27 and started in the Champions League final, and a lot of people on here are acting like he is a 34 year old that’s been playing in League One his whole career 

Danny Rose played over 150 games for Spurs, top division games, and started in the Champions League final too, but I wouldn't have wanted him here. What's your point?

Edited by Fox92
  • Thanks 1

We are a championship club and having a tantrum will not change that reality, get over it and move on to where we want to (not deserve to) return to 

Mixed feelings about a signing like this.

For Maresca’s style of play which will be possession based, he’ll be ideal. One of those unflashy players that keeps things ticking over. 

On the negative side, a younger player with high potential, who we could eventually sell for double or triple than what we paid for him, could do Winks’s job just as good if not better than him. As Ric mentioned, Bernabe being a good example.

I just hope we don’t overload our refreshed squad with players like this, because in the long run it would be absolutely terrible for us. 

I can take 2-3 signings like this, Winks & Coady being the prime examples, anymore than that, then this club can get fvcked. 

• Like 3