Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

Just now, BenTheFox said:

I'm alright with this. He is nothing special but sometimes you need players who can just do a job. We have lost Tielemans and Mendy and may see Praet, Soumare and Ndidi go. We are probably going to need to sign at least 3 or 4 central midfielders. He strikes me as the type of player who doesn't set the world alight but you are highly unlikely to get anything less than a 6 or 7/10 performance from him at this level. 

If he was on loan or a free transfer on minimal wages then this would track. Sure. 

But he's probably going to be one of our most costly players this summer, he's probably going to be on one of the biggest wages of all of the incoming players and he won't contribute anywhere near his value. 

The days of "it's not your money why do you care" are over. This is a horrific signing and a really worrying indication of what's to come. 

• Sad 2

Mourniho and Pep love him, one of those players who managers seem to absolutely love but no one else actually gets why lol 

Think he'll be absolutely fine at this level though, we need a lot of bodies in midfield!

Edited by AjcW

As others have said, he only needs to be good for the Championship at this point, so adjustment of expectations may be required by some

• Like 2

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

I think he will be a ok player in the Championship, not ground-breaking or anything and hopefully there are more exciting signings, but my issue is the wage he may be on.

The wage we can pay compared to what spurs are paying him will be covered in the fee. He only has a year left.  He won’t be getting many offers over 50k from PL clubs. if we offer him 35/40k with an increase to 60k on promotion then I’m sure he’ll be content.  He could blossom in the style enzo wants to play.  It was only a few seasons ago that he bossed games at our place when we were getting mullered by them. I don’t see him as another Ali who has lost his mojo completely.  He is 28 next feb so should be in his best years! 

Seriously can’t get my head round the resistance to this one - solid player, certainly at championship level, always seemed to have a good attitude and has both international and CL experience. I honestly believe if he signs, he will be one of our standouts next year. 

• Like 1

Just now, kingcarr21 said:

Leaves a lot to be desired. Never understood his role at Spurs. Always got the impression he was a poor mans Drinkwater

Drinkwater and Matty James were excellent in the Championship, if Winks is as good as MJ was for us in the promotion season this will be a good signing. Whether he will be or not remains to be seen but not the worst player to be compared to.

Why are we happy to negotiate this separately to the Maddison deal. I think Winks will be decent in the Chanpionship. However, this is a player Spurs do not want. They want his wages off the table. Handing it separate to the Maddison deal works very well for them

It’s horrible for us. We sell a key asset at a lower value than we set out to, publicly. Separately enter into negotiations with Spurs for one of their cast offs. Pay them £10m. Spurs end up getting rid of Winks and getting Maddison for the £30m they originally intended. 

Top and Rudkin are asswipes and there is no other word for them. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, roblcfc84 said:

Seriously can’t get my head round the resistance to this one - solid player, certainly at championship level, always seemed to have a good attitude and has both international and CL experience. I honestly believe if he signs, he will be one of our standouts next year. 

But he has a silly name!!!

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If he was on loan or a free transfer on minimal wages then this would track. Sure. 

But he's probably going to be one of our most costly players this summer, he's probably going to be on one of the biggest wages of all of the incoming players and he won't contribute anywhere near his value. 

The days of "it's not your money why do you care" are over. This is a horrific signing and a really worrying indication of what's to come. 

You don’t know the details of any deal yet 

he has a year left - he shouldn’t be a big fee

hes earning around 60k at spurs so we should be able to work something out

if he stays fit then he will be a crucial part of us getting back up. good experience. 

• Like 1