Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheStig

Ademola Lookman

Lookman was not good enough for Leicester City...... does well with Atalanta and slams a brilliant hat-trick in the Europa League final. Was it Rodgers or Rudkin that didn´t want to sign him on a permanent deal? We never cease to surprise.:blink:

Lookman, this has been talked to death in a load of other threads. Scores a hatrick in a European final and every Leicester fan " WHY DIDNT WE SIGN HIM" . Yes we probably should have tried to sign him but for various reasons we didn't. Who's to say what would have happened had we signed him. Players have different degrees of success at different clubs usually down to a number of factors. If we signed him he might not of been the player he is now at Atalanta for various reasons.

21 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Lookman was not good enough for Leicester City...... does well with Atalanta and slams a brilliant hat-trick in the Europa League final. Was it Rodgers or Rudkin that didn´t want to sign him on a permanent deal? We never cease to surprise.:blink:

To be fair, he’s only kicked on since he went to Atalanta. Think he’s scores as many goals for them in two years, then he did in the previous eight seasons as a bit of a journeyman. 
He’s clearly talented, but didn’t really light any fires for us and didn’t seem to inspire many of our fans. Have to say 
really pleased for him tonight, looks like a good guy. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-not-sign-ademola-8063986

Brendan Rodgers said after City’s first game of the season at home to Brentford, for which Barnes was injured: “I would have loved to have signed Ademola who was great here last season and got over 10 goals and assists. But we weren’t able to do that.”

Asked last autumn if City would have been able to sign Lookman after the sale of Wesley Fofana, had he not already moved to Italy, the manager said: “We could never guarantee that. I think if we were getting in anyone it was only on loan, and then it didn’t happen. Unfortunately it was a deal we couldn’t do.”

Posted (edited)

We had an option to buy for around 12m if I recall. We all expected the club to activate it, but the club had no money even though it was clear it was a great investment and his resale value would have been much more. Poor management by the club. It was not due to Rodgers.

I dare say if we had him even Rodgers could not have relegated us with our squad + Lookman.

PS. Yes, plenty was said about it in his other threads.

Edited by Tom12345

Could've taken or left him when he came to the end of his loan spell. I think in hindsight you'd absolutely have gone for him, especially when you saw what we did in the year or so following it. I don't think many really expected this upturn though.

• Like 3

I liked Lookman. Not as good as many seem to think he was but i am delighted he has kicked on. Its nice to see players work hard and improve, and hopefully his time here helped him on that journey. Scored a few important goals like the Liverpool one. Went through a long unfancied spell though, so i am not sure everything was as rosy as Brendan likes to make out. 

But, goals were not our problem last season. We scored enough to be upper mid table. The pi55ing around in defence (still can't believe how much we played Amartey), a captain who had no leadership credentials and was a massive sicknote, playing Ward for a huge chunk of season, and the worst defensive midfield option possible were our downfall.  Not sure how Lookman would have changed any of that.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

WE. DID. NOT. HAVE. THE. MONEY. 

WE. COULD. NOT. AFFORD. TO. BUY. HIM. 

For the ten billionth ****ing time, at the point he went to Atalanta we couldn't afford even a fraction of his fee. 

Im not sure what you mean:wes:

12 hours ago, TheStig said:

We had no money; we wanted him, and he wanted us. By the time we had cash he'd already moved.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

WE. DID. NOT. HAVE. THE. MONEY. 

WE. COULD. NOT. AFFORD. TO. BUY. HIM. 

Bloody Tories. 

We’d have bought him under a Labour government. 

Posted (edited)

This one was on the club, Rodgers wanted the deal done.  Was a horrible decision.

Consider as well how much league place was worth in money as well, 2 league placings paid the fee.  surviving would probably cover the wages 10 fold.

Edited by Chrysalis

He’s been tearing it up in serie a since moving to Atalanta. Lookman had been a bit of a journeyman when he came to us. I remember noticing him at Fulham he showed potential back then. In an interview after joining us and doing well he said he felt happy knowing he’s finally found a home. His performances were better as an impact sub under Bodgers. Barnes was the same. The moment you start them & give them the game it all goes flat. Should we have bought him YES.,it was worth taking a chance but we didn’t have the money.

His situation should be the kind of evidence we put up in the ffp case, to prove that once we knew we were in the s**t we slammed the brakes on. There was a player for a reasonable fee who you knew wouldn't be a gamble, we'd seem he could be effective for us and fit in yet we reluctantly felt we couldn't go through with it. Unlike Forest who signed 30 something players then pointed to their problem being the sale of Johnson being intentionally held off for a bigger profit.

• Like 2