Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Yohan Benalouane

25 minutes ago, EnglishOxide said:

Unfairly singled out by Shakespeare for the pre season tackle IMO. As daft as it was you deal with that shit behind closed doors.

Reminds me of Was. A bit of a nutter but not half as bad or as much of a liability as people make out.

Exactly. Shakey went on record to say Benny was 6th choice behind Wes, Maguire, Huth, Drago, Fuchs (who truly is a terrible CB) & Knight. Benny may not be the best, but he deserves better, especially when his worse performances came at the end of last season when Wes & Huth were injured and he had Fuchs as his partner.

I thought Benny gave the defense something it was lacking with Huth and Wes and that was control. His calmness on the ball was decent and he could make a tackle.  His issues were that he would sometimes go missing and could be a little rash. His horrendous tackle is in most defenders locker surely and I think there was more to Shakeys attitude towards him than just football matters, Shakey clearly despised the bloke for some reason so he was never going to get a game. I wanted the bloke to do well and still think he deserves a place on the bench.

• Like 2

I hate the way managers freeze players out over one incident. Iborra went in with a similar tackle against Liverpool in the cup but missed his man fortunately.

The only time he's looked exposed is when he hasn't had the support around him. He's by no means a starter or should even be on the bench but we shouldn't be casting him aside either.

11 hours ago, sm1 said:

Exactly. Shakey went on record to say Benny was 6th choice behind Wes, Maguire, Huth, Drago, Fuchs (who truly is a terrible CB) & Knight. Benny may not be the best, but he deserves better, especially when his worse performances came at the end of last season when Wes & Huth were injured and he had Fuchs as his partner.

Erm wouldnt that make 7th choice?

13 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Did alright during the latter stages of 2016/17 but he's too reckless. Could have been very easily sent off against Bournemouth on the final day.

And against Arsenal with the Giroud spine rake, and with that horrible tackle in the friendly against Burnley.

Stepped in well last season when needed but his appalling performance against Spurs was enough to convince me he wasn't good enough ongoing

That tackle against Burton was horrendous.

He looked a terrible signing when we purchased him looking at his history and unfortunately he has proved to be so.

IIRC he was signed by Atlanta the year before for €1m and was voted one of the worst players in Serie A and then they sold him to us for €8m. I'd like to know who pushed for the signing as it looks as dodgy now as it did at the time. 

It's weird to me that anyone has strong enough feelings about him to get angry about it.

He did alright when we needed him, seemed fairly entertaining. He clearly wasn't that bad at the very least.

I mean in the Spurs game the genius tactics second half seemed to involve him being the only defender on the pitch so not sure he can be held entirely to blame for it lol 

15 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Someone should send him this to remind him why he's not being picked:

If you ask me that was a beautiful dirty tackle and the classic hand shake gesture whilst staring down a visibly upset player was the definition of balls and grit we need with wasil gone lol.  Still further down the bench but i like benny. Seems like a down to earth guy for the most part.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

He looked a terrible signing when we purchased him looking at his history and unfortunately he has proved to be so.

IIRC he was signed by Atlanta the year before for €1m and was voted one of the worst players in Serie A and then they sold him to us for €8m. I'd like to know who pushed for the signing as it looks as dodgy now as it did at the time. 

Inler & Benny were Ranieri's signings, certainly nothing like Pearson/Walsh's of that summer including Fuchs, Okazaki & Kante

Anyway, he's about 6th choice for 2/3 spots & taking up a squad place of Josh Knight, Elliot Moore etc

Edited by cc_star