Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

1 hour ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

The relegation battle is going to be very interesting this year, i'd controversially say i can't see Huddersfield OR Brighton getting relegated, they'll be underestimated - and the way they play their football makes me think they'll both be alright in the end - so that really opens the door for someone like Stoke, Swansea, Crystal Palace, West Brom to potentially go down. Should be exciting at least.

I would be very, very surprised if Burnley survive. 

Edited by Melbourne Fuchs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Izquierdo is a ridiculous signing for Brighton. Somewhat jealous of that to be honest. 

He'll flatter to deceive I think. I was impressed when Southampton got Boufal, but he's not exactly done much has he?

Guest CityFan 06

The relegation battle is going to be very close this season. Think the top two will be Manchester City and Manchester Utd, with the former winning the title. Hope we can achieve a top ten finish.

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Did I dream this or was Andre Gray playing for Hinckley only a few seasons ago?

Slightly more then a few he was playing in the same league as Vardy at the time,

Gray was at Hinckley and Vardy was at Halifax 

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He hit a worldy against us in the Champions League.

He was definitely impressive in both legs against us.

He was definitely very impressive, quick and gets into dangerous areas. Think his finishing was a bit dodgy the first game though? As for his goal, I distinctly remember thinking 'Kasper would have saved that'..

15 minutes ago, brucey said:

He was definitely very impressive, quick and gets into dangerous areas. Think his finishing was a bit dodgy the first game though? As for his goal, I distinctly remember thinking 'Kasper would have saved that'..

And that's probably why he's ended up at Brighton instead of a "bigger" club. He definitely has potential though and wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a cult hero down there. 

Spurs are a decent enough side but in their current form have about 2 more seasons to win something. They could be in danger of becoming a latter-day Newcastle United

In the GAA over here in Ireland there's enough evidence to show that a team not used to winning has an Olympic style 4 year cycle starting with a big improvement in year 1, soon landing a trophy or the All Ireland (Holy Grail) then things start to go downhill by the end of the 4th year.

The same often applies to Football. Forest possibly in the late 70s,Everton and Napoli the mid to late 80s, Blackburn the 90s, Porto early 00s, Atletico 10s. The timespan can be short and you have to make the most of it. All these teams got an average of 3-4 good-to-great years and made it happen.

Usually all these teams have that one defining victory that's like an announcement that they have arrived. Napoli beating Milan in 1988, Blackburn beating United in 1994, Atletico beating Real in the 2013 Copa Del Ray,  Ive mentioned before about the Forest win in 2013 starting it off but there was so many significant victories (10 or 11?) that could be proved as a 'Keys to the Kingdom' moment. You could argue the 5-3 win over Man Utd was the key given they were the big bad beast for Little Leicester to show they could succeed in this environment. Tottenham as good as they were still had the ghosts of Arsenal and Chelsea gnawing at them right to the end.

Another thing in the whole unbelieveable, from out of nowhere little Leicester story that is overlooked by almost everyone was that from forest 2013 to whenever the story ends(if it hasn't already) is that we always needed points badly. Needed points to make the playoffs, win the championship, secure the great escape, secure the title. Did Tottenham of 2016 have that experience of every game almost being like a cup final?

The whole brotherhood and team spirit thing was a hideous cliche but hugely relevant when it comes to team sport.

Above all else the years we had spent being unnoticed is a huge thing that got us over the line. Tottenham have improved this decade but they had been coasting in the Eurozone before 2016 and when it was 'us and them' in 2015/16 they weren't battle hardened like we were.

Wont make good reading to any Spurs fan looking at this but this is a question they face. Have they learned from the painful lessons enough to make it count?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Wow, i'm a bit surprised.  Thought they would be disappointed with their transfer window

If it was one of our players, right or wrong I'd want them straight on the transfer list.

Whether he's angling for a move or a better contract, he's crossed the line.

14 hours ago, Nalis said:

Didnt realise Danny Rose was 27, only lived up to his potential in the last 2 seasons. For years beforehand he seemed to live off that fvcking overplayed goal v Arsenal.

I think what's happening with Danny Rose is indicative of the problems Spuds have. Their wages structure is out of kilter with the rest of the middle to top Premiership teams and unless they address that quickly they'll have more players leave. The mouth-breather is just too good for them and will get a move to one of the big boys within 12 months.

They're going to have a very tough season playing 'home' at Wembley. We'll finish above them.

Edited by Sublime_Coatsworth

all them liverpool fans wanting Van Dijk to hand in a transfer request and fapping when he did have kinda got a bit of Karma if Coutinho has handed one in, 

guess Coutinho got the back injury from carrying Liverpool then handing in the transfer request then

3 hours ago, Sublime_Coatsworth said:

I think what's happening with Danny Rose is indicative of the problems Spuds have. Their wages structure is out of kilter with the rest of the middle to top Premiership teams and unless they address that quickly they'll have more players leave. The mouth-breather is just too good for them and will get a move to one of the big boys within 12 months.

They're going to have a very tough season playing 'home' at Wembley. We'll finish above them.

lollollol

10 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Create's a big problem for Liverpool now, Do they force him to stay and have an unhappy player or let him go.

It's time players were made honor Contracts, after all the Clubs have too.

So they all honour contracts and walk away for free. Most clubs would go bust.

15 minutes ago, sylofox said:

So they all honour contracts and walk away for free. Most clubs would go bust.

Would they though? If it applied to every player then every player would be free, transfer fees would disappear to be replaced by bigger signing on fees and even bigger wages as clubs used some the 'Transfer money@ to entice players to their club. In effect nothing would really change except the players getting more cash and big clubs would still remain big clubs.

• Like 1