Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Puel

I wasn’t overly impressed in all honesty, but then to be fair I’d have taken a goat managing us over Shakey (but I still have the upmost respect for Craig’s coaching achievements here). Still think there’s improvement to be had, looking foward to the transfer window to see if he brings anyone in and let’s anyone leave. 

I am sad that we will probably never get back the exciting all out attacking gung ho style from the great escape last 9 games of 2014/5 and the first eighteen games of the following season - we were just balls out not giving a shit approach that got the crowd up for it and you couldnt fail to be an optimist - last night i was jut relieved we won when if we had the approach from 2015/16 we should have wiped the floor with them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

FFS, give the man a break.

Whilst I agree with a few of your points he's come here and completey changed our style with the same players. Our previous style was only going to work to a point and needed changing. He's managed to pick up 14pts from 7 games and has only worked with what he inherited. He has a proven track record and will stamp his style even more on the team inthe next few transfer windows.

He's already acknowledged the imbalance in the squad and I'm sure he's looking to ship out some of our expensive strikers. He's started to play our young talented players in Gray and Chilwell and given Choudhury his debut. I'm confident he'll get rid of older squad players and replace them with the best youngsters at the club which will give the whole club a lift. Who knows what will happen in the future but I see exciting times with what I've seen so far.

I particularly agree with your point about playing youth. It's vital for our future as a club and he's recognised the talent that Gray and Chilwell have. We're 8th and as we keep grinding out results the gap between us and 10th widens. He has used the squad in a far more constructive manner than Shakey or Ranieri in his second year did. Possession isn't worthless at all and we've had to evolve from a system that became incredibly easy to defend against and was really hard to watch. Our centre backs aim to keep possession and play from the back, which is bound to lead to some sideways and backwards passing. But, allowing Mahrez, Gray and Albrighton flexibility and freedom in the final third is incredibly difficult to defend against. We're scoring goals and the players look to be gelling well under the system. 

Still not fully convinced, will see how he handles the next two transfer windows - good recruitment is a necessary part of being a good manager.

The past 3 games have seen better results than what I would have expected under Shakespeare. Prior to that Puel's results were pretty much identical to what I would have expected from Shakey. I'm not sure how much to read into it as we've had some luck in these past few games which we weren't getting before. Fine margins with a large variance. And the difference in the personnel available - Shakey had to play King/an unfit Iborra for a large number of his games while Puel has had a fit Iborra for all the games.

I feel that we're now scoring more but also conceding more, although that might be due to Maguire over Huth. Overall it's probably an improvement.

I personally much prefer watching all out counter attacking long ball with 30% possession than pretty passing possession football, but I guess I'm in the minority for that.

Personnel wise it's great management, although the breakthrough wasn't playing Gray and Mahrez together, but rather Gray Mahrez and Albrighton together. Props to him for that.

I will just reiterate what I said in the post Newcastle match.

Puel is improving us tactically and stylistically without using a transfer window. Be patient folks, we are evolving, slowly slowly.

Puel has been here for about a month. We played anti-football under Shakespeare and now we are actually playing decent stuff. There's a lot to like about Puel. We are not gonna have a perfect defence and score 3 every game, we are not Man City. But we are better than Burnley and should take that 7th spot.

• Like 1

We've evolved more under Puel than the entire time from post-Pearson to Shakey getting the sack. And that has been a necessary evolution. It doesn't mean we've forgotten or can't play like we always used to - I'm sure we'll revert back to that style in certain games but even then it will have matured because we don't treat the ball like a ticking time bomb now. I was glad to see the showboating yesterday - it shows we are playing with confidence.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brucey said:

I feel that we're now scoring more but also conceding more, although that might be due to Maguire over Huth. Overall it's probably an improvement.

I personally much prefer watching all out counter attacking long ball with 30% possession than pretty passing possession football, but I guess I'm in the minority for that.

That's all very nice against Liverpool at home and we put 3 past them. But I got bored of watching is have 35% possession at home to Southampton & Stoke, and hoof the ball down the channels for Vardy to chase. Last season and beginning of this season we got found out. Our tactics became stale and predictable. 

I'm not sure how anyone can prefer our previous playing style to this current one.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We're still playing counter attack football, look at all the goals we've scored under him.

What we are also doing is keeping the ball in between them, rather than defending the majority of the time with possession 30-40%.

The way people go on you'd think we've been amazing and he's runined how we were playing. We've been playing utter crap in the main for the best of two years, the counter attack football was no longer working and we were boring and one dimensional.

Im thrilled with what he's doing currently, plenty of work to do. But you can't change everything in a few weeks.

Couldn't agree more.

There is a ceiling on how good a team can be if they're over reliant on counter attacking football with 40% possesion. It becomes too easy for lesser sides to defend deep and now you're out your comfort zone as you have to break them down. All the best teams in history are sides that dominate possesion.

We still haven't lost the ability to counter attack, just look at Vardy's goal versus Tottenham this season which is a beautiful example of fast counter attacking football. Puel is just trying to add another string to our bow and hasn't nullified our counter attacking threat in the slightest.

Edited by Gerard

3 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Let's see - where did our goals come from? Was it passing it sideways in our own half? No, those were the spells that brought us nothing. First goal was someone taking responsibility and having a shot (and poor goalkeeping). 2nd goal was an early ball forward and a 4-touch move. 3rd goal was from a counter attack. Apart from that we had the Vardy penalty appeal (another quick move) and Gray's shot from outside of the box.

What are you talking about?

Before the first goal, we'd had like 4 efforts from a similar area as where Mahrez scored from.

The build-up to our second goal was a 13-pass sequence:

Chilwell -> Schmeichel -> Mahrez -> Vardy -> Simpson -> Iborra -> Chilwell -> Maguire -> Morgan -> Mahrez -> Iborra -> Mahrez -> Albrighton -> Gray

And since I'm prepared to actually research I'll tell you that infact that goal was also a 34 touch sequence, with no Newcastle possession involved at all.

To further push my point, every single player (bar Ndidi) was directly involved in the buildup to that goal, either by a pass (9 players) or by scoring it (1 player).

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

I was loudly confident when we got him, he even got my immediate avatar approval, prior to all the early success :) 

Same here, Said from the start he would take us to the next level, said the same with Ranieri too in fairness. 

Claude is someone who I feel will really build on the Pearson/Ranieri Legacy. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Not going to go mad yet. Shakey won 6 in a row in the league and came from behind in a CL knockout tie and it went tits up eventually. Still think the senior players will get sick of him in twelve to eighteen months and he’ll be gone.

He's not coming back, accept it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As long as we give him the time and resources, we should aiming for Europe within two seasons. Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves, In these games we've had with him we have shown improvements in areas not associated with our recent seasons, keeping the ball. However as shown against Newcastle we still struggle at times with lapses in concentration. We're good; but not as good as people think, its more to do with going a step in the right direction to move this club forward from past seasons and the successes we've had to now evolve from.

Sorry if that post seems very Bipolar!

• Like 1

Everything has been great so far, my only reservation is the comments made about him not taking charge of transfers.

With the clown we have in charge of transfers it will be a scary month if Mahrez leaves. But quite clearly, if we can give Puel the tools he’s going to be a success

Edited by Lambert09

The Puel-to-Leicester thread on the Saints forum kicked back to life yesterday.  Some have changed their tune ...

- The players got their way.   Shifted the blame, made the him the scapegoat.  Puel didn't have a Mahrez or Vardy at saints.   V pleased for him. He's having an absolute laugh with leceister.  Let this be a lesson. We must stick with MP and let him build something.

we weren't great to watch under Puel (much better away from home than we currently are though). I only really wanted rid of Puel for someone better and there's no evidence that MP is any better or even at least as good. With hind sight we should have stuck with him.

I wanted Puel out because the football was negative and we hadn't seen a home goal at St Mary's for yonks. Now I think it was the players and not Puel who should have taken the blame (all those missed penalties for a start). With VVD injured for half the season and no replacement for Mane and Wanyama Puel got us to 8th place and a cup final...deserved a medal really

Lol, they're now above the forum favourite Marco Silva.

But not surprisingly, the thicker heads are doubling down ...

Can't believe anyone who saw all our home games last season would now be wishing we didn't sack Puel. Granted we had a few better away games but at home we were not only very poor but also excruciatingly dull, and most importantly we were getting worse not better He has made a decent start at Leicester, nothing more nothing less, but he has far better and pacier attackers to play his defensive safety first tactics knowing there is a good chance the likes of Vardy and Mahrez will nick a goal on the break.

I liked this one best ...

saintsboard.thumb.JPG.94a8701dcac8fae2a836dd8c542b3cdd.JPG

He has no idea how little was paid for that quartet!  lol

• Like 3

We’re in transition as a team and as fans. It’s going to take time for us all to adjust. 

I miss the gung ho style of a couple of years ago and still love it when we break at speed and score but It’s not natural to watch your team gladly surrender possession and just wait to pounce and win the ball back whilst inviting the opposition to come on to us. I realised we couldn’t play like that forever. Raineri and Shakespeare tried to change the style with the league winning team and it didn’t work. Puel has made a couple of changes and so far so good.