Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shailen_patel4

Europa league spot

Europa league spot  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Europa league spot

• Yes
    • No

I'm pretty certain 7th will be good enough for a Europa League place this season. As mentioned based on domestic cups the chances are pretty high and no one has even talked about an English team winning one of the European Cups which I think is also a strong possibility and would also unlock 7th place. 

I'd agree with one of the previous posters that it's between us, Burnley, and Everton. I think we'll finish above Burnley. Yes, they don't drop many points but we still have to play them at Turf Moor which would put us a point behind them if we were to win and I think we'll certainly amass a higher number of points throughout the remainder of the second half of this season. 

Everton on the other hand are a completely different animal and a lot will depend on whether they beat us and Burnley, and also who they recruit during January. 

Out of the teams in contention I think our run of fixtures combined with our usual strong finish to the season should see us sneak 7th.

Finally to those saying it's only the Europa League, why bother? Generally speaking it isn't the toughest competition in the world and has a huge reward for the winner. I would like to think that we'd certainly be one of the stronger sides to qualify should we make it and it is probably our best opportunity of bringing Champions League football back to the KP in the short term. 

Edited by ian_marshall
  • Like 4

We will have got many of our most difficult games out of the way early, and will have some favourable fixtures which will really give us a chance to put a good run of results together between Feb & April.

One or two buys in Jan who will improve the first team, Silva getting up to speed and Puel’s new system becoming more familiar- I’m optimistic.

Everton don’t look anywhere near the finished article, Burnley should drop away at some point (they’ve got this far though, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t), Watford are utter dross, and we’ve got a healthy headstart on the rest.

No reason we can’t finish 7th. Although knowing our luck, someone like Newcastle will shithouse their way to the FA Cup if we do.

I mentioned this before in another thread, but if we qualify for the EuropaLeague via seventh place (a not unrealistic possibility) then if we were to reach the final in Baku there would be TEN away trips in total (and of course ten home games) over a ten-month period. One little holiday to a far-flung part of the continent per month.

Bit of a dreamy scenario, I know, but I seem to recall that we did something considerably more remarkable a couple of years ago...

Yes we played well (in the second half) against Huddersfield, but the same team lost at home to palace, top 10 is more realistic but unless we go on a really good run I feel top 7 won’t happen. I hope I’m proved wrong of cause. 

10 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

Yes we played well (in the second half) against Huddersfield, but the same team lost at home to palace, top 10 is more realistic but unless we go on a really good run I feel top 7 won’t happen. I hope I’m proved wrong of cause. 

Whilst I agree with this to an extent, look below us and tell me (bar Everton) who could pip us? Palace are on a good run, but 8 points is a big gap. That leaves Watford, Huddersfield or Brighton. Nobody below Burnley can say their season has been anything better than average. 

We don't need "a good run" to get 7th, good runs are needed to get champions league spots. There are some average teams competing in 7th - 14th (us included) and we might only need something above mediocre to seal it. 

30 minutes ago, Hammo said:

I mentioned this before in another thread, but if we qualify for the EuropaLeague via seventh place (a not unrealistic possibility) then if we were to reach the final in Baku there would be TEN away trips in total (and of course ten home games) over a ten-month period. One little holiday to a far-flung part of the continent per month.

Bit of a dreamy scenario, I know, but I seem to recall that we did something considerably more remarkable a couple of years ago...

7th place 10 away trips

Qualifying

Linfield

Aberdeen

Group stage

Sampdoria

Monchengladbach

Slavia Prague

K.O stages

Real Sociedad 

Benfica

Lyon 

Ajax

Final in Baku

Bit of luck on the lottery needed.

Europa League would be great, a new competition, a new experience. A level down on the Champions League, but very decent rewards and decent teams to play against.

I'd love it if we could do another European tour.

Let's get there first. I do hope we do well in January (selling & buying in equal terms) and that Silva will fit in nicely. Then we can go places and cement a Top Eight finish.

We were happy to think about forth after the southampton match. Then crystal palace brought us back to earth. We've got chelsea next and probably a seven point gap between us and seventh. Probably wiser to concentrate on bridging that gap before anything else!

12 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

Palace were a goalkeeper's foot from being the first team to beat Man City this season